Start by marking “Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics” as Want to Read:
Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics

Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics

As in the previous edition, the purpose of this text is to introduce mathematical techniques to economics students. Through a complete integration of mathematics and economics along with a very patient exposition, the author attempts to maintain the emphasis on economics. Economic topics of equilibrium analysis, comparative-static analysis, economic dynamics and optimizati ...more
Hardcover, Third Edition, 800 pages
Published March 1st 1984 by McGraw-Hill, Inc. (first published November 8th 1974)

Chaya
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: su10
I much prefer the organization of this to Simon & Blume's Mathematics for Economists--although many students may be more comfortable with calculus than linear algebra, putting the linear algebra first is worth the unease. Excellent explanations, sufficient for self-teaching. Good exercises too. I will be hanging on to this one!
Fran
Dec 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Note to self: main text for Econ 106: Elements of Mathematical Economics under Prof. Joseph Anthony Y. Lim, First Semester 1996-97, UP School of Economics.

For once in my student life in Diliman I enjoyed a math course because of Alpha Chiang!
Fleur_de_soie
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
very good math preparation book for econ major. It could be used to undergraduate text, or graduate review book, since the level is a bit lower.

However, the author is very good at organizing material. Each part is started with an intuitive instruction and is closed with conclusion part which states the limitation with a certain method. So although this is a math book, the words really account, which really helps you to understand.

A book should not be rated simply according to its level. Thus, th
Ferenc
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What struck me the most with this book is how Professor Chiang takes such care and effort to explain everything in words, as clearly as possible. It is the most readable textbook I've come across on mathematics, it is unpretentious and non-elitist.

I am only interested in empirical research, using statistical techniques, and I was looking for a good book that could prepare me for studies in mathematical statistics, this book covered more than I needed.

For mathematical economists this book covers
Tip
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1
Very good
Alexander Whyte
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: economics
I highly recommend this book if you plan on studying an Economics MSc. I worked through this book during my undergraduate years, so it is not overly complicated. Despite taking several years out before returning to university to undertake my MSc, I still remembered many of the methods presented in this book, which helped me in the compulsory maths and statistics modules.
Amal Ae
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Easily the best book on math for economists out there. Professor Chiang does an incredible job of taking you slowly and patiently through laborious concepts - making them feasible and explaining their relevance to economic analysis. Really recommend it for graduate students , especially those like myself with a history of math-phobia!
Edmund
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
By a wide margin, the best math-for-econ book out there. Pair it up with some cheap Dover books for further elaboration and you can't go wrong.
Soloda
May 16, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
good
Rejoice
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I love it
Koli
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
fill
Shaista
Jan 31, 2016 marked it as to-read
i will get true information from this book
Ashlee
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: economic / math students
The standard primer for mathematical economics, for a reason. I've seen it used in both undergrad and graduate coursework.
Sergey Alexeev
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anything you might ever need for ecmath in gradschool
Thinker
fuck
Stevenglinert
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lifesaver.
Alex'ra
Sep 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Economists with a math problem
Shelves: non-fiction

• Macroeconomics
  • Macroeconomics
  • International Economics: Theory and Policy
  • Basic Econometrics
  • Introduction to Mathematical Economics (Schaum's Outlines)
  • Economics
  • Managerial Economics & Business Strategy
  • Econometric Analysis
  • Microeconomic Theory
  • Doing Your Research Project: A Guide for First-Time Researchers in Education, Health and Social Science