Start by marking “Beyond Knowing: Mysteries and Messages of Death and Life from a Forensic Pathologist” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  191 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Working as a medical examiner, Dr. Janis Amatuzio has found that by listening and talking to loved ones of the deceased, she can offer them a sense of closure. In doing so, she has heard — and here retells — extraordinary stories of spiritual and otherworldly events surrounding the transition between life and death.

As in her first book, Forever Ours , Dr. Amatuzio presents
Published September 7th 2006 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Knowing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Knowing

Kristin
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoy reading books about forensic pathology and was in the mood for such a book today. Unfortunately, while the book was good, it wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Dr. Amatuzio is a forensic pathologist in Minnesota with a quarter-century of experience, so I was expecting a recollection of some of her most memorable cases that fit the 'mysteries and messages' portion of the title, and it was. However, most of these recollections come from discussions she had with friends, family, and strange ...more
Homira
Aug 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
I found this book incredibly irritating. Based on the reviews, I was hoping for a beautifully written, insightful and yet scientific also analysis of the last moments of life, but what I read was an autobiographical essay of her experiences that was more descriptive than insightful. In addition, the stories were really boring and focused much more on her, her father, her career than the title of the book. Bummer, and falsely advertised. Sorry to be so negative, but I was expecting work on par wi ...more
Sandy
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a well written, beautiful book about the way some people have connected with loved ones, after they pass on. Very inspiring.

FAVORITE QUOTE FROM BOOK: "It's the loneliness for people, places, and times that no longer exist, except in my mind."
Tami
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A while back, I enjoyed Forever Ours. This book was an exploration into death. The author, a forensic pathologist, had been encouraged in her profession to be objective and somewhat cold about process. However, her personal experiences taught her otherwise. Far too often people came to her with stories of messages from beyond the grave or premonitions that happened to come true. In this first book, the author essentially wanted to see if these stories had any truth and if she could prove existen ...more
Trish
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I already believed there was life after death, but then I got to sit with my dad while he passed away. There were some great moments when we know he was seeing those that had passed before him. This book just helped me understand that others have those stories too from their loved ones! I don't know how you could read these stories and not believe there's a God, someone in control of all of this mess we call life! I am so glad there is!
Jackie
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
A medical examiner reflects on her career and her interactions with patients, family members, physicians, and nurses. I loved the pathology aspects of this book, but found many of the anecdotes sad and difficult to get through. One response to a patient's death particularly resonated: "She might have had cancer, but she was doing fine."
Kim
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Couldn't finish. First 1/3 was good reading. The rest of book is vignettes of other people's accounts of otherworldly knowing of life after life. It bogs down here. No flow. Nothing to keep me reading, and I enjoy the subject.
Susan Fetterer
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I heard the author speak and couldn't wait to read her book. It didn't disappoint! the stories were intriguing and altho' I found myself thinking of death way too much, there was a reassuring aspect to the situations she experienced through her work. Fascinating.
Jill Stadtmueller
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
fascinating book....
Katie
Apr 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
This won't be for everyone but I have really liked both of her books! It's not a "light" topic so read them when you are in the mood to think and shed a few tears.
Kati Polodna
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Read the whole thing in a single sitting
Lea
Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I like thinking about death as a part of life. Dr. Amatuzio writes a compelling story.
Patty
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW!
Carol
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Really fascinating and affirms my own beliefs in life after death. A wonderful book.
Diana Quinn
This book was a fair read. More about the life of the Coroner than the afterlife.
Eric
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've also read Janis's first book "Forever Ours" but I see I didn't provide a review for that.

I would recommend you read both of them but they are quite similar so if you don't like the one you won't like the other.

Also, one of the things I enjoy is that we are both Minnesotans and so she references many things that I am familiar with. That's just fun for me.

These are both essentially anthologies of stories that were primarily recounted to her in the course of a long career as a forensic pathol
Amy Linden
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love books like these- true stories people share when life went 'wrong". There is another side of life. What does it look like? What does it tell us about the God of the Universe? About Love?
Debi
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Disappointed in this book. It is not what I expected at all. Very little to do with actually doing Forensic Pathology and more about becoming a doctor/pathologist.
Adam
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book a great read. I can relate to her stories which are incredible and interesting. If you are looking for some kind of proof of these phenomenons it just won't happen here. For me, the title represents my own experiences perfectly. I wasn't searching for any convincing on the subject matter. I just wanted to hear the real accounts of others who have experienced similar occurrences. The stories in the book are so fascinating. Thanks Janis!
Laurie
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
You are more than you know, and you are more than your body. Care for all aspects of yourself. Care for all others as well. Be care-full. Be generous and humble. What you do for another you do for yourself. Remember who you really are: one made in the image and likeness of God, woven from the immortal threads of Forever. Have no fear. Be well.
Erin
Oct 06, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was not what I expected, but in the end I still liked it. A little too much about medical school and how she ended up in forensic pathology. She retells experiences that loved ones of her 'patients' have told her, and the stories are very moving. If you ever find yourself doubting that there is more to come after death, flip through this book.
Deb
Dec 31, 2007 rated it liked it
Okay book. A more interesting look at death and dying from someone who does this on a daily basis. Tries to give us a sense of the fact that life goes on after death and even a tragic death of a prostitute or drug dealer is a loss of life. We need to trust in God in the end.
Rob
Feb 29, 2008 rated it liked it
weird when a scientist who operates under the scientific method, describes paranormal experiences with dead patients and their families.
Dawn Barron
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A book club read. A nonfiction tale about a forensic pathologist and the stories people have told her about "signs" given to them by the dead.
Suzanne
Very Interesting.
susanlsimon Simon
Sep 08, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Good book but not quite as good as her first. If you enjoy Forever Ours you will like tis one too.
Mary
Mar 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
A very interesting read about a doctor's experiences with death.
Don
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it
A continuation of "Forever Ours" with a bit more background about the author.
Lisa Reed
Nov 16, 2014
Della H. Dirickson
rated it did not like it
Sep 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • I Want to Be Left Behind: Finding Rapture Here on Earth
  • The Virgin of Bennington
  • Pagan Visions for a Sustainable Future
  • Dark Green Religion: Nature Spirituality and the Planetary Future
  • In the Absence of Angels
  • Holy Silence: The Gift of Quaker Spirituality
  • White Bears and Other Unwanted Thoughts: Suppression, Obsession, and the Psychology of Mental Control
  • The Meaning of Trees: Botany, History, Healing, Lore
  • Remembering the Future: The Path to Recovering Intuition
  • Stalking the Vampire
  • The O. Henry Prize Stories 2003
  • Standing in the Light: My Life as a Pantheist
  • Sister Wendy on Prayer
  • My Teenage Werewolf: A Mother, a Daughter, a Journey Through the Thicket of Adolescence
  • Confessions of a Serial Alibi
  • River House
  • How Psychic Are You?: 76 Techniques to Boost Your Innate Power
  • What Happens When We Die?: A Groundbreaking Study into the Nature of Life and Death

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Loudest Voice in the Room: How Roger Ailes and Fox News Remade American Politics
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Art of Power
  • Through My Eyes
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks