Start by marking “Sign with Your Baby: How to Communicate with Infants Before They Can Speak” as Want to Read:
Sign with Your Baby: How to Communicate with Infants Before They Can Speak

Sign with Your Baby: How to Communicate with Infants Before They Can Speak

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  319 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Popular early approach to communications.
Published January 1st 1999 by Northlight Communications

To ask other readers questions about Sign with Your Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sign with Your Baby

Jenne
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I decided years ago, that when I had a child I wanted to try out baby sign language. I guess some of my interest evolved out of reading the Clan of the Cave Bear, as a teenager. In the book the children of the clan learn to talk their sign language much sooner than the "others'" children and so when I came across an infomercial for baby sign language not long after it made sense. Now, my daughter is not quite old enough to sign yet, so I can't really say yet if sign is the way to go, or if I am ...more
Becky
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nice brief summary with clear signs and a good list including most of the ones you'd probably want to teach, and not too many extra to overwhelm. A lot of them I'm familiar from the ASL class with Zack.
The main thing I learned was that signing probably won't start until 7-8 months, but I'll probably incorporate a few before then to get into the habit.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
I chose to read this instead of Baby Signs because I figured as long as we're teaching Abby a second language, it might as well be an actual language (American Sign Language) that she can use later on in life too.[return][return]A major benefit of this book is that the text to read is less than 50 pages, and that's nothing to shake a stick at when you're a parent with little uninterrupted reading time. The rest of the book is a glossary of signs. However, I have decided to read Baby Signs after ...more
Raelene
Nov 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a really quick, easy to use reference. Because I'm already really familiar with sign language, the sign illustrations are only a reference and reminder, but are very well done. Still, I think a more complete reference might be handy for parents unfamiliar with signs.

Dr. Garcia's approach is easy and both parent and toddler-friendly. He reminds parents not to take signing too seriously, but not to underestimate the value of giving your children an opportunity to communicate and initiate c
Academic Eric
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
When we sign with our baby, it gives us more options for communication before he might need to rely on 'the cry.'

It's also really cool when he enthusiastically signs at us what we realized he needs. It's as if he's saying to us, "Yes! You got it! I was hungry and I needed milk! Now I'm having milk! Yes! Milk! Milk! Milk!"

If you saw his look, you would understand all the exclamation marks.

By the way, we got a video with the book. It's really helpful for learning the basic signs more quickly and
Sharleen
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I used this with my first baby, before the big signing surge, and afterwards with my other children. It seemed like such a revolutionary idea to use signing with young children who had no other way to communicate except to point or cry and I loved the idea. I only taught basic signs, but even that was wonderful. I would highly recommend this book or one like it to any parent.
Kumar
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Looking forward to using signs with our baby who just turned six months. Book is well written and it's adherence to ASL (American Sign Language) makes it a skill that kids can use later in life. We picked the first 5 words for him: EAT, MORE, MILK, PAPA and MOM. Looking forward to see when he signs first.
Andy
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Brief, helpful overview.
Milda
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Helpful book, easy to read, found some new and good information. I will let you know if this worked with my child, who is now 10 months.
Katie
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this book has some great points about how to incorporate signing into every day life with your baby. I didn't know before reading it that you can & should start signing before or around 7 months of age!
Jessie
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of babies
Shelves: parenting-books
What I liked about the book:
1. Clear plan for teaching sign language to baby
2. ASL rather than modified or invented signs
3. Illustrated sign instructions

It gives you some ideas for what signs to introduce first and a few games to play to reinforce the signs.
I LOVED the opportune moments to introduce signs! Expressive gazes, mutual gazes, and pointed gazes. The examples were so clear that I could picture teaching my baby that way and it made so much more sense than how I'd previously thought of j
Charity
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents of pre-verbal children
Shelves: parenting
I got the book and DVD set and found the two together to be incredibly helpful in teaching my daughter ASL signs. Some of those first signs are very subtle, and seeing the DVD really helped me recognize when she was trying to make a sign versus when she was just kind of moving her hands around. Signing really enriched our interactions and reduced frustration in those pre-verbal months. She's nearly three now and quite verbal, but there are still a few signs she uses, sometimes for novelty, somet ...more
Ryan
Aug 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Teaching babies ASL (or other sign languages) is, I think, the kind of thing that is completely revolutionary, but afterwards you think about it and you wonder why it took so long for people to catch on to it. I'm looking forward to hopefully being able to use this with my little one once he's born and old enough.

Three stars for this book just because it seems like it's part of a larger system/kit that the authors want you to buy, so by reading the book you're only really getting half of the sto
Paula
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this before our first child was born and just got it out again to study up a little before our next one comes. I thought it was great. Our daughter just started signing one day and as soon as she did her first sign, she learned about one new one a day. Some family members tried to tell me it would keep her from talking but she seemed to talk as soon as all her friends if not sooner so I did not see where it slowed her speech at all. The neat part was that it was kind of the first feedback ...more
Ashley
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childcare
Very quick read.
I have been signing with my baby since birth (just the word "nurse"). As a preschool teacher I really believe that speech and signing helps bridge language differences, helps young children with reading readiness (e.g. the manual alphabet), and creating a "quiet" time or voice.

As a parent of a 10 month old who likes to sit and be cute... It's a different story. My son can sign the word "nurse" (while he nurses) and "more" (though he usually grunts or cries). He understands more
Judy
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents, caregivers, anyone who speaks or is interested in sign language
A nice and potentially useful book. According to this book, babies can learn to sign fairly articulately long before they are able to form words with their mouths. Contains a sizable glossary of signs, including words like 'good,' 'more,' 'eat,' 'hurt' and many other words that would be useful for baby/caregiver communication. Makes me wish I knew a baby I could learn sign language with. I am not sure, but I guess it's ASL used in this book?
Chris
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, other
This is a pretty basic book that covers some basic signs to you with your baby/toddler. The visuals are excellent. I highly recommend using sign from the beginning with your baby. It becomes second nature to use it and for them to see it. It will help curb the screaming that we don't know how to answer.
Danika Amusin
Thanks to Sheryl Rudd for sending me this book/DVD - I had vaguely heard of baby sign language, but didn’t really understand that it would give Elly an opportunity to communicate her needs and thoughts before she’s really capable of speaking coherently. We’ve been doing some signs since she was 7 months, and just this past week she’s been signing “bye-bye” and “all done.” So cool!
Rachel Rogers
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Not all applicable since I'm working with a non-verbal but fully comprehending 2.5 year old. Still, the signs offered are largely helpful as we prepare him to start preschool. The descriptions of how to do the signs could be more helpful though. They are rather vague unless you are fully fluent in sign.
Robbie Bashore
Oct 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
We had a great time using signs with our first-born. It really helped with the frustration during the time when kids have so much to say and just can't make the words clearly with their voices yet. Eventually, we needed to supplement with ASL dictionary, videos, etc.
With my son, we only ended up using a few signs. Ah, those poor second-borns!
Heidi
I liked Baby Signs by Linda Acredolo and Susan Goodwyn better than this book as it was more comprehensive and better info. I found Sign with Your Baby slightly condescending and not very helpful. It's aim is more towards teaching ASL as a second language.
Christina
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Easy read and easy to understand! Pictures for the signs and what signs to start with! Less expansive than taking a Baby Signs class, but I will probably do that as well... overall great into.
Sassan
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good introduction and read on learning sign language in order to communicate with your babies. I found the short book informative but went online to search for videos showing the signs as the images weren't too clear in the book.
Beth
Apr 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm browsing this one for use when I do "signed" rhymes and songs for our infant/toddler storytime. I want to get the signs right! I'm also interested in the particulars: how one helps a child learn signs, what is a good idea and what isn't, and so on.
Jaimee
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you haven’t already heard about teaching babies basic signs so that they can communicate before they can talk, then read one of these books entirely. If you already have a basic knowledge of this idea, then just read the sections that tell you how to get started and sign suggestions.
Patrick Callahan
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a quick and easy, yet informational book to read. I don't have a baby (and don't plan on having one anytime soon!), but I have taken multiple ASL classes. Many of the techniques and pieces of information can be used with multiple children for many reasons! I recommend this fun read!
Phil
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
I read, learned, and taught.

so far, things are going great!

when hes hungry, wants to eat, wants more, or is finished, he lets us know through sign language. its great!

cant wait to cram the rest of the book in his little head!

Jvitztum
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any parent
A very accessible quick and dirty overview of baby sign. Teaches you the basics, which is really all you need to know. Within a couple of weeks my little one was signing "drink", "more", and "milk". Can't wait to teach her some more!
S.
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a very quick book to read through with like 1/2 of the book being pictures of the signs themselves! Highly recommend this book if you are interesting in signing with your child, babies, grandkids, etc.
Lisa Olivera
Feb 24, 2008 rated it liked it
we learned and tried out a few basic signs. Prob gave it 3 stars only because I didn't use it as much or learn as many signs as I would have really liked to. Signs we did use: milk, water, eat, more, all gone/all done, banana, apple and a few he or I made up our selves.
  • Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene
  • Your Baby Is Speaking to You: A Visual Guide to the Amazing Behaviors of Your Newborn and Growing Baby
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • Baby Signs: How to Talk with Your Baby Before Your Baby Can Talk, New Edition
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
  • The Fussy Baby Book: Parenting Your High-Need Child From Birth to Age Five
  • Brain-Based Parenting: The Neuroscience of Caregiving for Healthy Attachment
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting
  • Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart