Start by marking “I Have Life: Raped, Stabbed & Left for Dead” as Want to Read:
I Have Life: Raped, Stabbed & Left for Dead

I Have Life: Raped, Stabbed & Left for Dead

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  403 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
In this inspiring tale, Alison, the victim of a brutal rape and attempted murder, shares the courage and philosophy that allowed her to turn her tragic experiences into something life-affirming and strong. With bravery and a keen sense of self-awareness, Alison recounts how she was car-jacked at knifepoint, raped, stabbed so many times that the doctors could not count her ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Vision (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about I Have Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Have Life

Nelly
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERY0NE!!!!!!!
Recommended to Nelly by: can't remember
A DEFINITE MUST READ!!!!!!!!!!!....I have read this 0ne 0ver and 0ver and 0ver and 0ver....T00 D0PE!!!! TOO DOPE!!! T00 DOPE!!!! Y0u kn0w h0w people are always complaining ab0ut petty ish and always h0w they are t00 unf0rtunate blah blah blah...the b0ok is a true enc0unter 0f a face-t0-face interacti0n with death (metaphorically speaking, if that is p0ssible...haha)anyway, this is 0ne b0ok that has truly had a GREAT IMPACT in the way i perceive life, the lyrical graphic is EXCELLENT and man i w0 ...more
Melissa Delport
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible journey. Alison's bravery is beyond belief and her attitude inspiring. A true story that shows how powerful our will to survive can be. I applaud you, Alison!
Cam
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cam by: Anne
Have found it difficult to rate a book like this, as it feels like I'm rating the individual & if this were the case - I would have given her 10 stars. It's an amazing story that has been told in many voices (from her parents to her surgeon) that I think the author did a fantastic job in capturing. Alison's frankness and bravery not only in living to tell this tale to many & inevitably to the writer herself is extraordinary. Then by all accounts she was an extraordinary woman in the firs ...more
Peta Smith
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great, Inspiring and unbelievable strong natured woman that lived a miracle is all I can say. Horrifying to be raped, slit throat and still managed to fight for life... I take my hat off to her. A great and inspirational book to read. Certainly makes you grateful for the live you currently live that's for sure. I will never forget this story. Ever.
Miranda
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wat een bizar verhaal, wat een dappere vechter is Alison. Vreselijk dat dit soort dingen gebeuren. Het boek was spannend, heftig...maar goed verteld. Mooi om te lezen hoe zij haar leven na de verkrachtig oppakt en andere mensen helpt.
Jackie G Mills
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was a dark day when the story of Alison hit our local newspaper. I remember so well the shock, disbelief and horror. The fact that she survived was viewed as a miracle, and her story was told and retold for many many years. What a wonderful book written about a wonderfully brave woman.
Rosetta
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just realised right now that I think this is the first "long" "adult" book I remember reading as a kid. Vivid, moving, self-reflective, inspiring.
Melanie Gous
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly inspirational book. I am so glad I decided to read this after all.
Del
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reality-check
I remember reading an article on Alison when I was in primary school, it was sad and terrifying and she is someone I often find myself thinking about.
Jeanine Le
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a heart wrenching book that really makes one realize the difficult emotional journey that she has taken and how different it could have turned out
Debbie Mounsey
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
BRILLIANT, AWESOME, U FEEL LIKE YOU ARE EXPERIENCING WHAT ALISON WENT THROUGH.
Lydia
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Absolutely awesome. The human spirit is incredible!
♥ Marlene♥
I started to read this book and after a while I knew what was going to happen. I think I've read this book back in 2001 when I first started to borrow true crime books from the library. This is a story that once you have read it, you will never forget.

It was hard to read but in a way also beautiful because of the great mentality Allison had.
Too bad the writing style,was not great. Not sure if that is because of the translator or that I am not used to reading Dutch anymore.
Because of what happen
Cheryce
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a booked that grabbed me in all senses of the word. I couldn't put it down. I feel like Alison is family. What an awesome lady. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I can't wait for the movie to come out.
Donna Brown
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
An emotional read and hats off to both author and writer who must have been emotionally exhausted putting this story down on paper. I admit I did skip the last few chapters as I felt it was more of a self help episode but did enjoy the book (if enjoy is the right word!)
Astrid Johanne
Tilbage til livet er indre mindre ind fantastisk skrevet. Jeg fik masser af indputs som jeg kunne bruge til noget i mit eget liv, på baggrund af Alisons forfærdelige oplevelser. Alison får vendt hendes oplevelser til noget positivt hvilket er beundrings værdigt.
Makubutu Lekota
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a crude depiction of the events that unfolded in the Eastern Cape in the 90's, the story is terrifying and horrifying. I do not recommend this story to the faint hearted, I am yet to finish reading the book.
Karen Belom
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
very sad, but then again uplifting in a way
Leonie
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you for sharing your (terrible) story, Alison. At times it's nearly impossible to read it, the terror you went through is beyond believe. It's a very gripping and touching book.
Julie Schuch
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My Hero - May she ever be blessed x x x x x
Katie
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly powerful book. Alison is a strong, courageous, inspirational woman.
Chantal Hapke
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bizar verhaal.........
Leon Foot
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
A must read.
Samke Mdladla
what a survivor alison is i admire her and her courage
Bianca
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-stories
After reading this book all I can say is: Respect!
Yvonne
Jan 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Amazing she survived!
Esteé Hallatt
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Amazing what the human body & spirit can survive.
Helma
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tijd terug gelezen. Bijna ongelooflijk hoe ze deze aanval heeft kunnen overleven, maar daarna begint de geestelijke strijd pas. Boek werd op het einde helaas wel wat saaier.
Delia Pieters
Unfortunately, I had to force myself to finish this book. Although I have empathy with Alison, I found it difficult to read the book...
Katie
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
very eye opening and inspiring
  • Mevrouw mijn moeder
  • Queen Pin
  • Birdman: The Many Faces of Robert Stroud
  • No Horizon Is So Far: Two Women And Their Extraordinary Journey Across Antarctica
  • Smacked
  • Baghdad Burning II: More Girl Blog from Iraq
  • In My Mother's House
  • Not Lost Forever: My Story of Survival
  • Next to Nothing: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with an Eating Disorder
  • Tales of the Lavender Menace: A Memoir of Liberation
  • Die staat teen Anna Bruwer
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • The Racist's Guide to the People of South Africa
  • Fatwa: Living with a Death Threat
  • Feminist Literary Theory and Criticism: A Norton Reader
  • Held Hostage: A Serial Bank Robber's Road to Redemption
  • Mum, Can You Lend Me Twenty Quid?
  • Spygirl: True Adventures from My Life as a Private Eye