Start by marking “I Have Life: Raped, Stabbed & Left for Dead” as Want to Read:
I Have Life: Raped, Stabbed & Left for Dead

I Have Life: Raped, Stabbed & Left for Dead

In this inspiring tale, Alison, the victim of a brutal rape and attempted murder, shares the courage and philosophy that allowed her to turn her tragic experiences into something life-affirming and strong. With bravery and a keen sense of self-awareness, Alison recounts how she was car-jacked at knifepoint, raped, stabbed so many times that the doctors could not count her ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Vision (first published 1995)

Nelly
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERY0NE!!!!!!!
Recommended to Nelly by: can't remember
A DEFINITE MUST READ!!!!!!!!!!!....I have read this 0ne 0ver and 0ver and 0ver and 0ver....T00 D0PE!!!! TOO DOPE!!! T00 DOPE!!!! Y0u kn0w h0w people are always complaining ab0ut petty ish and always h0w they are t00 unf0rtunate blah blah blah...the b0ok is a true enc0unter 0f a face-t0-face interacti0n with death (metaphorically speaking, if that is p0ssible...haha)anyway, this is 0ne b0ok that has truly had a GREAT IMPACT in the way i perceive life, the lyrical graphic is EXCELLENT and man i w0 ...more
Jackie G Mills
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was a dark day when the story of Alison hit our local newspaper. I remember so well the shock, disbelief and horror. The fact that she survived was viewed as a miracle, and her story was told and retold for many many years. What a wonderful book written about a wonderfully brave woman.
Melissa Delport
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible journey. Alison's bravery is beyond belief and her attitude inspiring. A true story that shows how powerful our will to survive can be. I applaud you, Alison!
Cam
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cam by: Anne
Have found it difficult to rate a book like this, as it feels like I'm rating the individual & if this were the case - I would have given her 10 stars. It's an amazing story that has been told in many voices (from her parents to her surgeon) that I think the author did a fantastic job in capturing. Alison's frankness and bravery not only in living to tell this tale to many & inevitably to the writer herself is extraordinary. Then by all accounts she was an extraordinary woman in the firs ...more
Jan etc
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just realised right now that I think this is the first "long" "adult" book I remember reading as a kid. Vivid, moving, self-reflective, inspiring.
Peta Smith
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great, Inspiring and unbelievable strong natured woman that lived a miracle is all I can say. Horrifying to be raped, slit throat and still managed to fight for life... I take my hat off to her. A great and inspirational book to read. Certainly makes you grateful for the live you currently live that's for sure. I will never forget this story. Ever.
Miranda
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wat een bizar verhaal, wat een dappere vechter is Alison. Vreselijk dat dit soort dingen gebeuren. Het boek was spannend, heftig...maar goed verteld. Mooi om te lezen hoe zij haar leven na de verkrachtig oppakt en andere mensen helpt.
Melanie Gous
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly inspirational book. I am so glad I decided to read this after all.
Del
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reality-check
I remember reading an article on Alison when I was in primary school, it was sad and terrifying and she is someone I often find myself thinking about.
Debbie Mounsey
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
BRILLIANT, AWESOME, U FEEL LIKE YOU ARE EXPERIENCING WHAT ALISON WENT THROUGH.
Jeanine Le
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a heart wrenching book that really makes one realize the difficult emotional journey that she has taken and how different it could have turned out
♥ Marlene♥
I started to read this book and after a while I knew what was going to happen. I think I've read this book back in 2001 when I first started to borrow true crime books from the library. This is a story that once you have read it, you will never forget.

It was hard to read but in a way also beautiful because of the great mentality Allison had.
Too bad the writing style,was not great. Not sure if that is because of the translator or that I am not used to reading Dutch anymore.
Because of what happen
Astrid Johanne
Tilbage til livet er indre mindre ind fantastisk skrevet. Jeg fik masser af indputs som jeg kunne bruge til noget i mit eget liv, på baggrund af Alisons forfærdelige oplevelser. Alison får vendt hendes oplevelser til noget positivt hvilket er beundrings værdigt.
Makubutu Lekota
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a crude depiction of the events that unfolded in the Eastern Cape in the 90's, the story is terrifying and horrifying. I do not recommend this story to the faint hearted, I am yet to finish reading the book.
Lydia
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Absolutely awesome. The human spirit is incredible!
Tara Brock
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While this is not a self help book, it could be. Alison’s story is about hope, determination and survival. But not just surviving, she came through horrors most of us can’t imagine to live a life bigger and better than she was. At one point she wrote that we all talk about living as if you might die tomorrow, but how many of us DO it?! Letting go of anger and unwilling to let her attackers take more from her, she has become an inspiration for so many people and a motivational speaker. After you ...more
Andrea
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Courageous Lady

Story of a terrible attack, but also an uplifting memoir of the years that followed.
I have tremendous admiration for this courageous lady.
I think everyone can take some of Alison's advice on how to live their lives with whatever troubles they may have and to show kindness to others.
Magda Gagiano
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly inspiring and uplifting !
andrea
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not my usual read but an amazing story and perspective on surviving.
Armandina Machado
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Life changing. Very scary and very inspiring. A book every women should read.
Shelley N Ravells
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sickeningly beautiful read. Horrible what humans do to each other, amazing how resilient and strong women are.
Lisa van Rooyen
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
The circumstances are frightening and Alison's will to survive is truly remarkable.
Found the last half of the book slow and the final chapters just too much motivational speak.
Tamar
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alison's story is a story of horrific violence and how she fought to survive. Her inner courage and strength is inspirational.
Lin Fisher
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not only for rape survivors.

Alison has words of wisdom and encouragement of all people no matter gender, race or religion. A very important book.
Jackie Lee
Impossible to rate. The writing was among the weaker of the memoirs I've read, however, the story is certainly one that deserves to be told, and I think it has been, is, and will be, a comfort to many (and perhaps a glimmer of hope?) in a South Africa (and a world) that treats women like objects to be used and discarded.
Cheryce
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a booked that grabbed me in all senses of the word. I couldn't put it down. I feel like Alison is family. What an awesome lady. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I can't wait for the movie to come out.
Donna Brown
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
An emotional read and hats off to both author and writer who must have been emotionally exhausted putting this story down on paper. I admit I did skip the last few chapters as I felt it was more of a self help episode but did enjoy the book (if enjoy is the right word!)
Linda Moens
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Zo aangrijpend! Wat een ongelooflijk verhaal!
Karen Belom
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
very sad, but then again uplifting in a way
Leonie
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you for sharing your (terrible) story, Alison. At times it's nearly impossible to read it, the terror you went through is beyond believe. It's a very gripping and touching book.
  • Mevrouw mijn moeder
  • Queen Pin
  • Baghdad Burning II: More Girl Blog from Iraq
  • Not Lost Forever: My Story of Survival
  • Birdman: The Many Faces of Robert Stroud
  • Next to Nothing: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with an Eating Disorder
  • No Horizon Is So Far: Two Women And Their Extraordinary Journey Across Antarctica
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • Tales of the Lavender Menace: A Memoir of Liberation
  • Mum, Can You Lend Me Twenty Quid?
  • Women's Reality: An Emerging Female System in a White Male Society
  • Spygirl: True Adventures from My Life as a Private Eye
  • Unlocked: A Journey from Prison to Proust
  • Jazz Cleopatra: Josephine Baker in Her Time
  • Wij zijn maar wij zijn niet geschift
  • Breakup: The End of a Love Story