Start by marking “Into The Garden: A Wedding Anthology: Poetry and Prose on Love and Marriage” as Want to Read:
Into The Garden: A Wedding Anthology: Poetry and Prose on Love and Marriage

Into The Garden: A Wedding Anthology: Poetry and Prose on Love and Marriage

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
For brides and grooms who want to give their weddings new depth and meaning, two acclaimed poet-translators have gathered a stunning collection of poems and prose that will add a unique and personal dimension to the ceremony.
Published April 8th 1994 by Harper Perennial (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Into The Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into The Garden

Kavita Favelle
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me (on an internet newsgroup in the days when decent websites were few and far between) shortly after the first hardback edition was published. I was having a hard time finding non-religious readings that I liked for my upcoming wedding. As it wasn't available in the UK my kindly American aunt found a copy for me and posted it to London.
I found the selection of secular yet spiritual poems absolutely inspiring and was hard pushed to narrow my choice down to 4 for my w
Brooke Bates
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lovely collection of poems and writings about love, spanning a wide variety of styles, perspectives and tones from a spectrum of writers from the Bible to Buddha, from Native American to Ancient Sumerian, featuring many well-known writers and poets. My fiance and I quickly found a reading we both liked, as I imagine most any couple could here. What I found most helpful was the section of ceremonies at the end, representing Protestant, Catholic, Jewish and Taoist traditions. This book was a goo ...more
Apr 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I think this book is a good starting point for the process of designing a wedding ceremony. The authors present a thoughtful overview of the origins of the American wedding traditions. In the back of the book, they give several ceremony outlines from couples of different backgrounds and beliefs. The selection of readings is also a sufficient primer. We're just beginning this process, and I think this book was a good place to start.
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was helpful in allowing my fiancee and I to choose readings for our wedding ceremony. It's well-organized and offers a wide range of selections. It's another one for the bookshelf, because who doesn't need a book of love poems nearby?
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
I just found this one in the back of my bookshelf. By far the best book to help you find non-traditional and insightful wedding readings, if you're in the market for that sort of thing. Great selection of writers, and not a lot of sap.
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Emily, anyone getting married
Shelves: wedding
A really lovely compilation of love poetry. We're pulling three readings from this book for our ceremony. I liked the choices that Hass and Mitchell made, regarding both the poems they picked and the particular adaptations/translations they chose.
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very helpful for ideas on wedding readings.
Feb 07, 2010 rated it liked it
A nice collection of words that could be shared during wedding ceremonies. Could be inspiring in the planning stages of a ceremony as well.
Gwen Hurd
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding carefully curated collection of love poems. Not only for weddings, although it is an amazing resource for planning a ceremony, this book is for anyone who loves love.
Jun 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wicked book - great ideas that I'll be using.
Tracy O
Aug 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Folks Who Need a Poem for a Wedding
If you need a poem specifically for a wedding, this is your book - there is something here that you can use. If you don't you will find it a weak collection & not worth your time.
Aug 01, 2007 rated it liked it
Great book to have around when someone asks you to recommend a poem for their wedding.
Jun 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nice collection with good variety, even though I did not find a poem I wanted to use for my wedding. Some lovely verses that aren't too sappy, though it relies on a lot of the old-fashioned staples.
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
An excellent book for someone planning their wedding ceremony. A nice mix of secular and contemporary multi-religious poems and short prose selections
Dec 08, 2016
Aug 29, 2011
Dec 02, 2013
Dec 09, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robert Hass was born in San Francisco and lives in Berkeley, California, where he teaches at the University of California. He served as Poet Laureate of the United States from 1995 to 1997. A MacArthur Fellow and a two-time winner of the National Book Critics Circle Award, he has published poems, literary essays, and translations. He is married to the poet Brenda Hillman.
More about Robert Hass...