Start by marking “Disciplines of a Godly Family” as Want to Read:
Disciplines of a Godly Family

Disciplines of a Godly Family

Disciplines of a Godly Family covers such topics as establishing a solid family heritage, promoting affection between family members, encouraging godliness in children, using appropriate discipline, and helping children cultivate enriching lifelong habits. The Hugheses also offer tips for fun and affordable family vacations, creating family traditions, and starting a praye ...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Crossway Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Disciplines of a Godly Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disciplines of a Godly Family

Start your review of Disciplines of a Godly Family
Jeremy
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book articulates a clear vision for building a God-centered family, and is extremely practical in its aims. The chapter on Developing a Healthy Self-Regard is a great articulation of our identity in Christ. This was a great refresher of the "big picture" aims of Christian parenting, and the practical stuff was well done.
Steven Evans
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a book you live through, rather than just read through.

I wish someone had given me this book when I was first married. There is so much practical wisdom in this book. I wish there was some way to download all of this knowledge into my brain at once! I suppose it does not work that way, but I felt so convicted and encouraged by this book but I just cannot immediately implement all that is in it. It takes time and work - discipline - to have a godly family.

I started making a prayer journal
Samuel Chua
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really learned a lot from this book about the high calling that is given to Christian parents. Too often do we see parenting as simply hanging in there and hoping that God would let his children walk with Jesus. And yet, this book coupled with my readings in 1 Timothy have given me a picture of the remarkable intentionality that godly parents should have for their children. To train them up in the ways of the Lord is a discipline and establishing family disciplines is so very important. For th ...more
Garrett Shirey
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Again, Kent Hughes (with his wife, Barbara this time) does an incredibly practical job of sharing his personal advice from a life lived accordingly. Thankful they took the time to write this book. It's scary how un-intentional families are these days.
Wassenario
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an update on his original book common sense parenting. This is the best practical parenting book I have ever read. I would highly recommend. There is not a ton of depth in here but the breadth is amazing. Kent Hughes rocks!!!
Elisabeth
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Their ideas for deliberate parenting are incredibly helpful (though overwhelming for a new mom). I especially like the appendix that give concrete ideas and resources.
YiengYin Lim
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love how both authors offered daily practical down-to-earth principles towards a godly family. The authors' real life stories and parenting experiences are great reference point!!
Coyle
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
"'Disciplines of a Godly Family' by Kent and Barbara Hughes is a fine enough book. The theology is solid; the advice is sound; and the writing is clear and readable. If I have a quibble with the book itself, it’s the fact that the structure seems to be loosely based around, well, I don’t know for sure. Stuff that the authors wanted to be sure was included? The appendices are the worst offenders here, including book suggestions, a poem (and not a terribly good one at that), vacation ideas, advent ...more
John
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a different kind of parenting book than what we normally think about when reading on the topic. The focus of the book is how parents ought to cultivate certain disciplines in their families, for the benefit of their children.

The Hughes emphasize these areas out of experience, having raised many kids of their own. The focus is not on the how, but the what. What are our goals in raising our children? What do we want our children to remember, and pass on to their own children?

Answering the
Sep 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really appreciated this book. As with all family books, there are parts I agree with more than others. However, it is full of great ideas and even family-friendly receipes (a fun idea, although I haven't tried any yet). Even the sections where I didn't completely agree with their techniques, they are clearly approaching the issue with a love of God and families. Plus, it brought up several good issues that I hadn't even thought about yet. I definitely recommend for young families.
Brock
Oct 02, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family
3.2A - Family

Jul 01, 2011 marked it as to-read
Recommended by a friend.
Erin Schmidlkofer
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good book. One I will refer back to over and over I am sure. I love the wisdom in Barbara Hughes books. She is a beautiful woman of God
Eric Durso
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Practical.
Lisa Bittle
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Not as good as their other books, but definitely parts of the book were good.
Andrew Canavan
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book on family life that is both aspirational and realistic. It’s very practical and could be great for prompting discussion between parents.
Eddie Lutz
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

One of the best "practical" books on parenting that I've read.
Nilay Jones
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a lot less dry than I thought it would be, and I really enjoyed learning about the Hughes family and how it could help me learn about my family.
JT
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kent is masterful at stirring your heart to pursue intentionality in the home. As a father, this was written in a way of bolstering and encouraging me to serve my family well with God's hopes for the home. The lists and shared examples from their lives really make you stop and think about how to intentionally incorporate these disciplines into your own family. Second only to "Disciplines of a Godly Man" in my opinion in the Hughes library.
Seth
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Exceedingly practical, if a little dated (not sure if more versions have printed). Chapters are easily consumable in short spurts and they touch down immediately in daily family life - both families with and without kids (though clearly written with families with kids in mind).
Dale

• Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: Unleash a Revolution in Your Life In Christ
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • The Cost of Discipleship
  • 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You
  • Ender's Game, Volume 1: Battle School (Ender's Saga)
  • Identity Theft: Reclaiming the Truth of our Identity in Christ
  • The Lightning Tree
  • What's Best Next: How the Gospel Transforms the Way You Get Things Done
  • Zeal Without Burnout: Seven Keys to a Lifelong Ministry of Sustainable Sacrifice
  • Taking God at His Word: Why the Bible Is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough, and What That Means for You and Me
  • The Star Wars Trilogy
  • Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family
  • The Sovereignty of God
  • The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War
  • Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
  • Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday
  • Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit
R. Kent Hughes (DMin, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) is senior pastor emeritus of College Church in Wheaton, Illinois, and a visiting professor of practical theology at Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Hughes is also a founder of the Charles Simeon Trust, which conducts expository preaching conferences throughout North America and worldwide. He and his wife, Ba ...more

News & Interviews