Start by marking “The World Is Sound: Nada Brahma: Music and the Landscape of Consciousness” as Want to Read:
The World Is Sound: Nada Brahma: Music and the Landscape of Consciousness

The World Is Sound: Nada Brahma: Music and the Landscape of Consciousness

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Scientists have only recently learned that the particles of an oxygen atom vibrate in a major key and that blades of grass ‘sing.” Europe’s foremost jazz producer takes the reader on an exhilarating journey through Asia, Europe, Africa, and Latin America, exploring the musical traditions of diverse cultures and reaffirming what the ancients have always known--the world is ...more
Published May 1st 1991 by Destiny Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The World Is Sound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Is Sound

Melissa
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
The first six chapters are very fun, a capricious romp through "Music and the Landscape of Consciousness." But, oh, dear god, what happened to the editor?? After chapter six, the book goes off the rails with ridiculous accusations about the domination of the visual sense over the hearing sense being the root of all that is wrong with the world today. It is quite a contortionist stretch to get from the lack of harmony in the body causing cancer to the "cancerlike spread of cities and suburbs". (C ...more
bertrand
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
A mind blowing compendium of Philosophy, Metaphysics, Quantuum Mechanics,Maths, the physics of Sound and omnipresent Harmonic proportions.
Written by a musician practicing Buddhism, this book offers an experience as well as a powerful platform to revise our perception of Time and Space and Harmony.
The end is a lecture in details about the fusion of Jazz and Music from India and the spiritual aspects of that phenomena.

Sanjeev
One of my favorites. It's a book I'm going to read over and over to get the most out of, but I can say this is one of them that allowed me to think about the world through sound, proportion, and unity as opposed to the conventional fragmented way we currently approach it.
Michael
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The interesting fact about this book is that it is also available as the first of three 13 hour radio program / CD's with numerous, beautiful sound examples. All are available at zweitausendeins.de as CD's (German only). Amazing musical examples, Berendt is narrating himself though and his voice is a little unpleasant.
Jürgen De blonde
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just excellent. Amazing insights into the nature of music, the nature of nature and the cosmos. Extensive thoughts on how everything is vibration thus sound and how that interacts with our being and thus consciousness. How all this leads to communcition and links to improvisation.

Great thoughts. Interesting names. Quite unique.
Grig
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is exceptionally well written and contains enough inspiration for a lifetime! I need to read it again!

After I finished this, I wanted more, so I read more, but no other book on the esoteric perspective of music really satisfied me like this did.

Jean
Jan 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
It was a difficult read for me. I am very much interested in mantras and sacred sounds from shintoism meditation practices and I was hoping that this book would have shed some light in some areas that I had questions. It didn't !!!! Never the less it was a good read.
Clivemichael
A wonderful exploration, difficult to classify, but well worth the time. Enlightening and inspiring.
tapedec
Reading this very closely for a long time; not done yet as it needs digesting. Phenomenally good so far....
Clivemichael
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Amazing, opened my eyes and ears to myriad of possibilities.It has taken me on a journey of discovery that continues. Thank goodness for Inter-Library loans who made it possible to borrow a copy.
Robin Boudreaux
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
great book, sweeping in scope, truly a world music perspective without the marketing hype and assumptions...
Rhett Palmer
Tiziana
rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2012
Philipp Antar
rated it did not like it
Oct 12, 2012
Dec 20, 2012
Lic. Sergio Rodriguez Castillo
Jan 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Description edit and possibly double entry 2 17 May 20, 2015 02:01PM
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Blood Struggle: The Rise of Modern Indian Nations
  • She Bop: The Definitive History of Women in Rock, Pop & Soul
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition
  • Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!: The Story of Pop Music from Bill Haley to Beyoncé
  • The Ambient Century: From Mahler to Trance: The Evolution of Sound in the Electronic Age
  • Disconnect: The Truth about Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry   has Done to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family