Start by marking “Anticraft: Knitting Beading & Stitching for the Slightly Sinister” as Want to Read:
Anticraft: Knitting Beading & Stitching for the Slightly Sinister

Anticraft: Knitting Beading & Stitching for the Slightly Sinister

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  497 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Knitting, beading and stitching projects to make - or not. Whatever.

If you would describe your favorite crafts as supercute" - no, let us rephrase: If the idea of handcrafting the most nauseatingly adorable plush bunny you've ever seen sets your heart atwitter - feel free to stop reading. We'll understand. Really.

If you're still reading, you may be cynical and fed up with
Published November 30th 2007 by Northlight

To ask other readers questions about Anticraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anticraft

Eden
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Goth teens who like to knit
While it's true that the world of crafting is riven with winsome, sweet, and treacly projects and the stores that cater to them, I think there may be more open a category than this book lets on. The book is informative regarding the techniques used to make specific projects, but almost every project is based around skulls and a decidedly Goth aesthetic. The book design itself is littered with irrelevant 19th century woodblock cut graphics, and the authors think themselves witty. Wish they were. ...more
Kate
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I couldn't help it... knitting for the "slightly sinister"? There are some great projects in this book. I especially liked the Bella armwarmers, and the Poison Ivy boa. The projects also include random dark bits like playlists and inspirations... one mentions how Martha Stewart, in order to be as crafty as she is, must be in league with dark forces. Some projects are a little ridiculous in their weirdness (two headed knitted rat dolls, anyone?) but overall it's a fun book for anyone interested i ...more
Lara
Mar 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I reviewed this for PopMatters.

Here's my text:
Let’s get the obligatory mention of the duct tape corset out of the way straight off.

With the small sacrifice of an old tee and possibly the help of a close friend you can craft your own perfectly fitted and ‘slightly sinister’ corset. Besides this project, there are several other excellent features in Anticraft: Knitting, Beading and Stitching for the Slightly Sinister. The photography is sensational, even when the showcased project isn’t overly exc
jess
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft, 2008
although this falls into the genre of "yet another alternacraft guide," i want to give the anticraft some points for vision. the crafts are a little spooky, goth-inspired, and the authors appear to remain sufficiently surly and self-conscious about the marketing of goth crafts through the book. the projects are fairly simple, drawing on very basic skills & very common materials with some seriously repetitive themes (need skull & cross bones for the whole family and every piece of your in ...more
Emily
May 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crafty
The authors were trying way too hard with this. Part of the issue is ambition--too many types of projects rather than a number of quality projects with options for variation. Also, a whip made with crochet? Right.

Then there's the interior book design--incredibly distracting. Ok, anticraft, sinister, what have you, but I've got to be able to find the page numbers, particularly if the design also doesn't make it clear where a project begins and ends and I need to rely on the table of contents.
S Robie
Oct 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this book is just plain awesome in a cup. a very eeeeevil cup.
SmarterLilac
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Hee hee. If you've ever wanted to learn how to knit a menstrual cup cozy or paint your nursery black, this is for you.

Fun commentary from Anticraft:

(From the introduction) 'Creation from chaos is natural. We've come to a place where we've realized that we have this actual, physical need to create things. We're sick of homogenized culture...we create to fill these holes, to be able to sleep at night knowing we've done something, even a small something, to confront the manufactured culture that is
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book because the title made it sound slightly intriguing. But what I found inside was less then desirable. Most of the items to "make" in this book were slightly off-color. I don't understand why you can't be anti-bright color/fluffy bunnies and have to be dark and sketchy with questionable content. I also found some of the designs to be very disturbing. There is no need for me to knit something and have people question my mental sanity. That is definitely not what I am looking ...more
Cissa
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun ideas here!

Oddly- since I am a knitter- the crochet patterns are more appealing to me than the knitted ones- though I do love the Skylla cozy that is a knitted kraken! While I also love the long serpent stockings, adjusting them for my size is more than I feel inclined to try. There are a couple of hats with fun skull-and-crossbones motifs, though!

In crochet, the Briar Rose decorative scarf is really nifty. I also like the vulture-themed bag, and the 2-headed rat stuffie. And there's
Ella
Aug 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: diy-how-to
Meh. I couldn't find a copy of this book anywhere to leaf through it and see what sort of patterns were inside, and the reviews I was seeing everywhere weren't of much help either. Thankfully, I was able to loan a copy through my library. "Anti" "sinister" crafts could mean a lot of things, and that is what I couldn't really gather from anywhere online without having seen the book myself. But now that I've read through the book, I say that in this case, "anti" and "sinister" is represented with ...more
Erssie
Feb 02, 2011 added it
Erssie had 3 projects in this book:
Book is discontinued but available on Kindle.
The three patterns above are available in a booklet Gothic Trio by Erssie Major on her websiteErssie Knits

* Belladonna Sleeves

* Pop Art Skulls Pillow

* Gothic Glam Yule Hat

Dracolibris
Oct 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007
If only I was crafty enough to make these projects! This book is awesome. I may have to learn some new skills just so I can have an excuse to knit or crochet cthulhu, er, I mean octo-designs. I also liked that it wasn't ALL knitting- there are a wide variety of project designs in here to appeal to the darker side of your crafty soul. I think this is going to be a popular addition to my teen craft collection.
Andrea
May 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Beautifully laid out...but not a single pattern that you can't find in a hundred other books with better instructions and charts. If you are just starting out i'd skip this as most require a bit of skill and a good understanding to decipher out what they are really instructing you to do. On the other hand, the book "looks" fantastic and was inspiring from a graphical design perspective so it's not completely worthless.
Diane
Oct 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone not in love with pastel yarn
I certainly enjoyed the spirit of this book. Aimed at crafters who are sick of pastel yarn for baby clothing and nicey-nicey craft projects this aims to round out the patterns available.

I did like the skull baby sweater (OK I loved it) and the double-knitted skull cap and a few other projects. Like most craft books, not everything will appeal to everyone. There are patterns for adult (ahem) crafts as well.
Miss Mouse
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-crafty
I periodically check out the Anticraft website to see what their latest ezine has. I was excited to see that there was also a knitting/crochet/craft book out. Their designs appeal to my "suburban closet-goth" personality. While not many of the designs are ones I'd wear to work or Bunko, but they're cool none-the-less. There are some I think I might make. It's a good book, and I also like how they have extra little articles and tidbits of info. It's a fun book worth a look.
Alanna
Nov 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I love the premise of this book, but the execution was lacking for me. The aesthetic of the book is great and while none of the projects were that bad, none of them were that good either. The only one that got a reaction from me right off the bat was the Wheel of the Year skirt, but even that didn't make me go 'ooh'. I think perhaps a beginning crafter might take more from this book than someone with a lot of experience. Not bad, but I won't be buying a copy either.
Allison
Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafting
Not entirely finished lookng through this one yet, but so far it's a cutesy little collection of crafts and movie recommendations and recipes for, I'm assuming, the DIY folks who used to shop at Hot Topic? So, not really my cup of tea. But it's amusing, and has a good variety of different patterns.
Mckinley
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
My biggest issues is that the photos aren't well done. It's more about being hip and showing off on the author's part than showing the projects! It's great to add more variety of projects. I didn't look closely at the instructions, but I hope they are sufficient. The thing is based on the design and layout, I'd be less likely to believe they are.
Joanna
I checked this out because I had read a review that seemed to imply that there was more than just knitting, beading, and stitching projects; apparently I misread. Since I neither knit, bead, nor stitch, this book was kind of lost on me. I would recommend it to those of you who do any of those, though.
Kim
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is fun and is loaded with lots of unique patterns. If you're a beginner, this is not the book for you. This book ranges from intermediate patterns to downright ridiculous (i.e. see beaded tree art). Still, it's worth owning for inspiration and who knows? Maybe one day I will knit the lace stockings.
Ami
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book. I had to recently downsize my sizable book collection and this is one I just couldn't bear to part with (even if it weren't autographed to me, which it is :D). I have enjoyed all of the projects I chose to undertake (I plan to do them all eventually) and the ones I did for gifts were well received.
Joshua Gage
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crochet
Only seven crochet patterns. This is a clever book that plays off the goth sub-culture, and develops some very unique items. That being said, the crochet patterns were fairly weak, and I was a little disappointed.
Emily
Jun 21, 2010 rated it liked it
A friend of mine in college used to say I was the anti-goth. He wasn't wrong. So while I am decidedly not the intended audience for this craft book, I did enjoy looking at the projects. And I actually want to make myself a duct tape corset (p107).
Cami
Nov 04, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm all for different things on the market. Although many of these projects were very goofy Halloween-like crafts (see the two-faced rat doll), I really liked the actual instruction in the back and think I may actually get how to knit now.
It was awfully fun to read, too.
Elizabeth
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: artscrafts
i learned how to make a two headed rat in a jar, should i ever want to. the patterns are funny- i might make my sister the immaculate heart, but there's not a lot i feel compelled to try. maybe i'm just knittin' jaded.
Ames
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Multiple crafts from Crochet, to Cooking. Snarky commentary, included. There are some awesome things in this book (Namely the Two-Headed rat Amigurumi), but not too many other designs called out to me.

(Finished in 2014, Changed Year to not affect my current reading challenge book count)
Cory
Aug 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
I would have enjoyed this book much more if I could knit or crochet, as that's what most of the projects entailed. There were very interesting tidbits between the projects, though--quizzes, factoids, advice on how to throw a party, etc.
Betsie Bush
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, humor, crafts
A pattern book and SO much more. There isn't anything in it I would actually make (thus only 3 stars), but I do so enjoy reading the Anticraftster's brand of humor. The website also makes me grin http://www.theanticraft.com/
Josie
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
A really interesting read! The projects are not for the feint at heart, but having a warped sence of humor helps!

The projects are not for the 1-2-3 beginner, but can definately be saved for later when more practice has been garnered with the choosen craft.
sara frances
This book has so many goodies tucked away in it, I love it. I now want to try my hand at beading thanks to this book!
  • DomiKNITrix: Whip Your Knitting Into Shape
  • Naughty Needles: Sexy, Saucy Knits for the Bedroom and Beyond (Potter Craft)
  • Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet
  • Son of Stitch 'n Bitch
  • Super Crafty: Over 75 Amazing How-To Projects
  • Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!
  • Pretty in Punk: 25 Punk, Rock, and Goth Knitting Projects
  • Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Knitting Lingerie Style: More Than 30 Basic and Lingerie - Inspired Designs
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead
  • The Cute Book
  • Alterknits: Imaginative Projects and Creativity Exercises
  • Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Sock Book: History*Technique*Design
  • Stolen Sharpie Revolution: A DIY Zine Resource
  • French Girl Knits
  • Knitting Over The Edge: Unique Ribs, Cords, Appliques, Color, Eclectic- The Second Essential Collection of Decorative Borders