Start by marking “Abuse Of Power” as Want to Read:
Abuse Of Power

Abuse Of Power

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  654 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Rachel Simmons joins the police department of her small California city expecting to serve her community. But no one prepares her for the kind of service she will be called on to perform - or the price she will have to pay for her values and integrity. When she witnesses an incident of police corruption - and reports it - she must fight for her life and the safety of her l ...more
Paperback
Published April 6th 1998 by Orion (first published March 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Abuse Of Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abuse Of Power

Marti
Aug 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Probably very seldom is a novel written about a woman police officer, and the problems that she faces in a predominantly man's world. Hopefully, the handful of 'dirty' men officers are not typical of the usual city force. The heroine, Rachel Simmons, years ago had to recover from being abducted as a child, and is now a widow with a three year old son and teenage daughter, working two jobs to make ends meet. Incidents of wrongdoing among her fellow officers begin, and what is she to do?
Luckngrace
A real barnburner of a police drama. Corruption, women's rights, whistle blower bravery with just a splash of romance.
Renny
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a devastating story to experience written along the lines of classical stereotypical roles molded in the lines of harshest as well as most vulnerable roles portrayed in direct opposition. Unfortunately, there are people who have walked in the steps described in the story. At the same time, I think reality is a bit more complex and nuanced... walking the narrow path of integrity as well as making the choices within the potentials for corruption is a universal experience that each individu ...more
Tomi
Sep 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF
Kathy Travis
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great read
Kristen
Apr 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
In one of Nancy Taylor Rosenberg's earliest legal thrillers, Abuse of Power, this dealt with law enforcement of the worst kind. When Rachel Simmons, a widow and mother of two, joined the police force of a small California town, she wanted to serve her community to protect and serve. But when she discovered a hint of police corruption, she didn't expect to run into trouble and pay the price for reporting it in, except for keeping it quiet. The ending I won't give away, since it was a devastating ...more
Greg
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Some female cop battles other cops who are corrupt. She manages to not compromise her values but it doesn't matter much because in the end, everyone except her daughter, turns against her. It is about a world without integrity where everyone has a price. The most exciting part of the story is when some lowlife male cop uses a sixteen year-old kid as a sheild when he is in the line of fire, even though the cop is already wearing a bulletproof vest.
Martha
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not understand why there is police corruption in our world. It is always hard for me to believe. This book is very good based also on a female police officer that has gotten caught in the middle of the police corruption. How is the female police officer going to cope with the corruption of her fellow police officers in their department? OMG,I could not believe the ending. You must read to find out the end.
Ernest
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book failed to take advantage of its powerful premise. The main character was fine enough, but there was not enough meat to the substance of the story to the extent that this book frustrated me in how much unfulfilled potential it had. Only the ending stopped it from being, for me, a total disappointment but as it is, I unfortunately cannot recommend it to anyone.
Torben
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Alles in allem ein gewöhnlicher PolizistensindauchbösePolizistinstelltsichgegendiesesSystem-Krimi. Sich schreibt Frau Rosenberg besser als viele Kollegen, der Plot ist jetzt aber nicht sehr überraschend. Fängt langwierig an, ist in der Mitte spannend und vielversprechend und am Ende recht mittelmäßig. Ein Muss-Man-Nicht-Lesen-Buch und dafür auch etwas zu lang. Vielleicht auch nicht mein Genre.
Melissa
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2009
Book #32 read in 2009

At first, I was uncomfortable with the idea in this book of police corruption. I know it exists, but it's not something I want to think about. But I LOVED this book. Yes, Rachel made some stupid decisions, but she stood on her principles. This was a great read!
Julie
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I was hungry to read..late night, all morning, just devour until it is finished. Abuse of power in a police department, personal integrity questions, bad guys and good guys, surprise ending. It has it all. Worth the time to read!
Polly
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
An unbelievable look at how police officers work. This told about the corrupt cops that can be in the dept. It was informative, sad, unbelievable & good all at once. I liked it.
Marianne
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quite the book. Sobering, thought provoking and certainly timely considering the times in which we live. Shocking ending, never saw that coming. All Ro sad but realistic.
Jo Wood
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
So sad how our society hasn't come as far as we'd like. Good book, everyday obstacles female officers face, as well as other officers who don't add up to what the Alpha's think they should.
Ralph McEwen
Jun 13, 2009 rated it liked it
A well told tale of police corruption that we have become all to familiar with. This book is registered with bookcrossing.com.
Priya
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
As with many struggles against the system and injustice, maintaining one's integrity and standing for truth, powerfully moving and inspiring.
Pamela
Jul 08, 2010 rated it liked it
One of many legal thrillers by this author. Fast, engrossing reading.
Jackie Simons
Read 11/97
Ahmad Najmi
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Mike P
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent plot. Somewhat predictable ending. The villian police officer was somewhat overstated regarding his control of others.
Jamie Howerton
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 It was crazy and scary to read about these corrupt cops. If cops are doing wrong, who do you tell?
Tracy
Jul 30, 2010 added it
Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. This book will keep you interested from start to finish.
Andrew Carter
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rosenberg plots a good story with a feel-good ending.
Holly
Gina
Aug 04, 2012
  • Scent of a Killer
  • Bush on the Couch: Inside the Mind of the President
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • The Final Judgment
  • Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)
  • Missing
  • The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)
  • The Warlord
  • Firefox Down! (Mitchell Gant, #2)
  • Phantom Lover (43 Light Street, #25)
  • Festival of Deaths (Gregor Demarkian, #10)
  • The Attorney (Paul Madriani, #5)
  • The Passenger
  • Suspicion of Betrayal (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #4)
  • Exposé (Sally Harrington, #1)
  • The Edge of Sleep
  • Night's Pawn (Shadowrun, #10)
  • A River Town
With a BA in English and 5 years as a photographic model behind her, Nancy Taylor Rosenberg studied criminology. She served in the Dallas Police Department, New Mexico State Police, Ventura Police Department and as an Investigative Probation Officer in Court Services for the Country of Ventura where she handled major crimes. She lives in California.
More about Nancy Taylor Rosenberg...