Start by marking “The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)

The Stonekeeper

(Amulet #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  49,388 ratings  ·  4,370 reviews
There's something strange behind the basement door...

After a family tragedy, Emily, Navin and their mother move to an ancestral home to start a new life. On the family's very first night in the mysterious house, Em and Navin's mom is kidnapped by a tentacled creature. Now it's up to Em and Navin to figure out how to set things right and save their mother's life!
Published January 1st 2008 by Graphix

To ask other readers questions about The Stonekeeper, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jeremiah This isn't a question.
Myanna J. It was so good, this is like one of the best grafic novels you could ever read I am almost done with the series :( but if you guys dont know this book…moreIt was so good, this is like one of the best grafic novels you could ever read I am almost done with the series :( but if you guys don´t know this book feel free to read but don´t force yourself(less)

·  49,388 ratings  ·  4,370 reviews

Patrick
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun graphic novel. It's probably YA, or middle grade. But I still enjoyed it pretty well.

My main gripe? This first story starts out with the death of a parent. Like, in the first four pages. That's heavy-handed storytelling, and this book is better than that. In the same way that you don't have someone kill a kid as a cheap way to establish a villain, you shouldn't have to kill a kid's parent to provide characterization and motivation for the young protagonist.

It says a lot that after that s
Riley
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Just as good as the first time I read it!!
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I was not expecting to like this graphic novel as much as I did! It's darker than I had expected it to be. I'm pumped to continue on with this series!
Sh3lly
FANTASTIC! This came recommended to me by a co-worker's daughter (through my co-worker who knew I wanted some recs for my kid since she will only read graphic novels or books that look like graphic novels, haha). My daughter, who is almost 9, and I read it today while we were at the doctor (she has been sick for like, forever, not cool).

Anyway....

Me: "So, how do you rate this book, if five stars is awesome and ---"
Kid: "Six!!!!!!"

She loved it, and you know what? I did too. This was just fun, ima
Lola
What a thrilling start to a series. I can see myself devouring the rest of the books like I did this one. Creative world, charming characters and engaging storyline.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved this little graphic novel! My favorite is the pink bunny named Miskit :-)

So Emily's dad dies in a car wreck, Emily and her mom were in the car with him. The book jumps ahead 2 years and Emily's mom takes her and her brother Navin and moves to and old family home out in the middle of no where.

When they are all cleaning the house, Emily finds this amulet. She decides to keep it and it talks to her, I want one!

All kinds of things happen and Emily and Navin are on a search for their mom, w
Nat
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
description

Amulet’s story is about a young girl named Emily (“Em”) and her younger brother, Navin. Two years after Emily’s father dies in a car accident, she moves with her mother, Karen, and Navin to a house that has been in the family for years. The locals believe that the house is haunted, yet Karen chooses to ignore the rumors. And soon, the family discovers a small door in the basement of the house leading to an alternate version of earth known as "Alledia".

description

Emily has to decide if she wants to be the n
Shannon
Not very many novels, let alone a graphic novel, stir up a visible emotional response from me (for example: something might be funny but I'll rarely laugh out loud.) This book, however, made me cry within the first 15 pages. Now, that's an accomplishment! I'll admit though, I'm a bit of a softy when it comes to moms or husbands dying, so your mileage may vary with that.

The story is a familiar one; a magical object passed down in the family contains enough power to save the world, and a young gir
Regan
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.89676

I really really really really enjoyed this! Much darker than what I was expecting but amazing nonetheless. Also, this just reminded me so much of a Miyazaki film that I just couldn't stop smiling! I NEED THE NEXT ONES!
Michael Finocchiaro
I discovered this series of awesome kids graphic novels almost by accident in a bookstore during a trip to the US. And what a series! It is for kids every bit as exciting as Saga is for us adults. Wonderful creatures and devices, a very adorable family thrust into the story of their grandfather's mysterious past into a world of magic and evil but with lots of friends along the way and the mystery of the Storekeepers. This first volume was gorgeous in terms of art and spell-binding in the text. M ...more
Calista
This story creates a mood. It is creepy. This is crazy cool. The art is pretty amazing and the world Kazu makes up is astonishing. A family moves into a house knowing nothing about it's past. Their first night there they hear noises that eventually lead them to another world. The amulet is their guide and protector. Imagination, wow. This is some imagination. I really enjoyed this little book. I will be continuing with this series. I have to know what happens.
Brian Yahn
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amulet is possibly the single most creative story I've ever read.

The plot itself is a pretty typical portal-to-another-world tale. But everything about the world is so unique. The setup before they get to the other world, the actual portal, the characters inside the world. Even simple things you take for granted, like getting from Point A to Point B -- in Amulet it's always a unique and fun experience.

If the rest of the series is like book one, this may end up being my favorite series of all tim
Kai
I usually don't read Graphic Novels, never really have. Not for any particular reason, I never gave it any thought, to be honest. But this one caught my eye and paved the way for other fantastic graphic novels, like Saga, Lumberjanes or Giant Days.
Also, this is the same artist that created my favourite Harry Potter covers of all time.

The graphic novel is generally geared towards younger readers, so the plot was nothing unusual and a little obvious, though I still enjoyed it. I especially loved s
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3.5 stars!

I am currently enrolled in a class for my library science program, and it's titled Materials for Tweens. I was assigned to the graphic novels group project. Because of this, you guys will see me reading a lot of children's/middle grade books in the future. I picked up Amulet because it's a popular children's graphic novel and came highly recommended to me by children and adult librarians.

Two years after the tragic death of her father, Emily moves with her mother and younger brother i
Kate (GirlReading)
4.5* this is what I imagine the outcome of a brilliant studio ghibli brainstorming session would be like if someone said “what if we went for a whole, spiderwick chronicles, meets stranger things, meets a series of unfortunate events kinda vibe?” and what’s not to love about that?

this was adorable and I’m super excited to carry on with the series, I just wish it had been longer as I felt a little cheated with it having finished without any kind of closure. hats of to you kazu kibuishi, you left
Laura Herondale
3.5*

You can also find this review on my blog

*Spoiler-free review (except for the prologue. I spoil the prologue. But c'mon, guys, it's the bloody prologue. That shit's in the blurb).*

So, I don't read many graphic novels. In fact, this was actually the second graphic novel I've ever read in my life (the first being Heartstopper Vol. 1 by Alice Oseman), but I really enjoyed this, and am hoping to get into more graphic novels.

BLURB: After the tragic death of their father, Emily and Navin move with
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
A clever graphic novel set in a parallel Earth, guaranteed to delight young readers with a sense of adventure. On the helm in this novel are Emily and her brother Navin who survived a tragic accident and who are catapulted through circumstance into this exciting adventure after Emily finds a magical amulet in the attic of their new home.

The graphics here are beautiful as well as very colorful, which adds to the mesmerizing tale that is both touching and exciting to read. Off to a great start in
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Next to hearing general good things, I was not sure what to expect from Amulet. I was not disappointed however.

Let’s start with the art that is mostly consistent throughout. Kazu Kibuishi has his own style, and the way that he draws the characters does take some getting used to. It started to endear me as I continued reading. It does fit with the age that these children, that are the main characters, seem to be. But what I think is the best part art wise of this graphic novel, are some of the d
Roya
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: okay
Read the first four in this series years ago and decided to revisit the world. The seventh book comes out next week, so the timing is good. I'm at the bank and read this on the ComiXology app on my phone to quell my boredom. It was okay. I think I liked it more when I first read it, but tastes change. It's still a decent start. The amulet concept is reminiscent of Lord of The Rings. Will be reading more of these shortly.
Nusrat Mahmood
It's dark and beautiful. the artwork is enchanting, so is the story. highly recommend to anybody who loves graphic novels.

কবে যে আমাদের দেশে এমন রঙের খেলার বই আসবে। হচছে যে না একদম তা না, কিনতু ডারক ফযানটাসির সাথে এমন কালার, আরট, গরাফিকসের কাজ দেখলে কলিজা টা জুড়ায় যায়। ই কপি পড়েই এই অবসথা। হারডকপি হাতে পাইলে ফিট খেয়ে পরে থাকতাম নিশচিত।
Krissy
Read this with my 9 year old. We both enjoyed it and look forward to book 2!
Ariel
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a fun read! The artwork is stunning.. the use of colour is so rich and everything feels really alive. And the story is really light hearted and friendly. It's quite an adventure! I think my problem comes with the shortness.. I didn't have enough time to discover the world or the characters. I really like the side characters, but I need to see more! One thing I really loved was the emphasis on family!
Cameron Chaney
The kiddos on the Bookmobile were all very insistent that we order this series, so when it came in delivery I picked up the first volume to see what the hype was about. And I have to say, I'm quite impressed. The story, artwork, and characters are all fleshed out wonderfully. From the first page, I couldn't stop reading until I'd finished the whole thing. What also caught me off guard was the amount of heart in the story. Volume 2, here I come!
ashley (saidthestory)
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I adored this graphic novel! I liked the story, quite a lot. I loved the art. I can't wait to pick up volume 2!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was SO MUCH FUN to read! The artwork was incredible and the story was so interesting. Can't wait to carry on with this series!
Betsy
Jan 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh.

Every story, whether it's being told orally, as a book, as a graphic novel, or in a kind of performance is allowed to reuse old tropes. Particularly when the story being told is appropriate for kids, there's a talent in figuring out how to use familiar images and objects in new and exciting ways. It's what distinguishes the good writing from the knock-offs. The storyline that involves a hero who finds a powerful object of some sort that could be good or could be bad is one pretty classic exa
Brittany
4 🌟 Stars!

Great start to an addictive and dark Graphic Novel series!!!
After a family tragedy, Emily and her family move to an ancestral home to start a new life. On their first night, Emily’s mom is kidnapped by a creature. Now it’s up to Emily and her brother to figure out how to get things right and save their Mom. I wasn’t expecting to like this as much as I did. Looking forward to reading more about Emily and her brothers journey.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
I started with a review of three stars but now that I'm about to write the review I realize that I have almost forgotten the story completely and I read it less than a week ago. I am going to knock it down to 2.5 stars. The illustrations were really cool in this one but I guess I was expecting a little more. This is definitely a younger reader's graphic novel - it was a really fast read. The concepts weren't difficult to grasp and there was nothing offensive in the graphic novel so I would recom ...more
John Papadopoulos
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Cool!
What an enjoyable read this has been! I loved it! Felt like i was watching one of my favorite 90s show. The nostalgia feels hit me hard. Action packed, fast paced, suspenseful ride! Such a great finale to end book 1. We had 20% dialogue and 80% visual that is why in my opinion it is such a fast read. I find the art pretty amazing i would just stare at it for a few mins and then move on to the next page. I would have enjoyed it a bit more though, if there was more dialogue and interaction b
Rebecca
I suck at reviewing graphic novels so here are my habitual dot points:

- I know this is a middle-grade read but overall it missed the mark with me.
- The art was cute, but I wasn’t a fan of the mother’s painfully long face.
- Fast paced yet it feels like nothing is happening
- Miskit is the cutest to ever cute.
- Navin > Emily, which is strange because the girls are usually my fave.
- Seemed to drag on despite its short 187 pages.
Spring 2019, Wild...: Rebecca White's Review 3 1 2 Feb 22, 2019 10:49PM
Rebecca White's Review 3 1 1 Feb 22, 2019 10:46PM
which is better 7 30 Nov 27, 2018 09:14AM
  • Jellaby (Jellaby, #1)
  • The Storm in the Barn
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons (Owly, #3)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog
  • Korgi, Book 2: The Cosmic Collector
  • Hilda and the Midnight Giant (Hilda, #2)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 1: The Whole World's Crazy (Amelia Rules! #1)
  • Rust Vol. 1: Visitor in the Field
  • The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • Bone, Vol. 8: Treasure Hunters (Bone, #8)
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • Cardboard
  • Broxo
Kazu Kibuishi (born 1978) is an American graphic novel author and illustrator. He is best known for being the creator and editor of the comic anthology Flight and for creating the webcomic Copper. He has also written (drawn) the Amulet series. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at ...more

Amulet (9 books)
  • The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2)
  • The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3)
  • The Last Council (Amulet, #4)
  • Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5)
  • Escape from Lucien (Amulet, #6)
  • Firelight (Amulet, #7)