Start by marking “Will Work For Food Or $: A Memoir From The Roadside” as Want to Read:
Will Work For Food Or $: A Memoir From The Roadside

Will Work For Food Or $: A Memoir From The Roadside

2.93  ·  Rating details ·  28 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
When Bruce Moody was almost 60, he got fired. After a lifetime of writing and working contract jobs in-between, he found himself in a dire situation. Unable to find work as he always had before, he faced homelessness. He panicked, fell into a well of horror and shame. In desperation, Moody made a simple sign and began a life on the side of the road.With neither self-pity n ...more
Hardcover
Published May 1st 2003 by Red Wheel

To ask other readers questions about Will Work For Food Or $, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Will Work For Food Or $

Holly Jenkins
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Yawwwwnnnnn. I forced myself to finish the book. Everyone has a story...& this was his during this time. Nice reminder that not everyone on the street is a drunk or drug user. Not exactly a page turner though.
Jan 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Boring, pompous rant
Rachel Risinger
Nothing will make you appreciate that not so great job in that not so great office with those not so interesting tasks than reading a well written and thought provoking memoir of someone who possesses none of the above. One expects this to be a tale of moral terpitude and eventual redemption from the demons that brought Mr. Moody to this sad state of affairs. One would be disappointed.

Do not get me wrong, I enjoyed this book, it was ultimately readable and I am a better person for the experienc
Christopher Elliott
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it
The concept of the book was very intriguing. However I was left thinking that much more could have been accomplished with the subject matter. I also felt like it was a slow read, you know the kind where you feel like you've been reading for awhile and then you notice you've only made it through a couple of pages. I didn't hate the book by any means, but I also didn't love it. I found myself while reading the book thinking that this guy really isn't the person I would put as the face of the roads ...more
Catherine
Mar 06, 2009 rated it liked it
I read this a few years ago and enjoyed the book for the most part. Moody loses his job in his late fifties and resorts to panhandling by the side of the road in San Francisco. Unfortunately, the subject matter is probably more timely today.
Rosie
Jun 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
this book had many good reviews and I wanted to like it..it put me in mind of the book "Nickel and Dimed" But I just couldnt follow it.
It jumped around and was just very disorganized. I had to go back and reread something in order understand it

didnt finish it
Christina
Apr 21, 2010 rated it liked it
A personal memoir about a man down on his luck, who turns to panhandling for food and money to make ends meets. He owns a car and pays for rent and gas and once for acting lessons with the money he earns. It's a perspective most of us have never considered let alone experienced.
Rogue Reader
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: consumerism
An out-of-work salesman finds in himself a talent for earning at the roadside. Scheduled, disciplined and determined, he refuses work that will pay less than he can earn by asking for a handout. New insight into the lives of those who stand at the traffic lights, with dogs and signs.
Carrie Ridgeway
Jul 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Very interesting. I'll never look at a roadside panhandler in the same way.
Ann Riley
Kim
Mar 10, 2013
Janice
Apr 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Honest self-reflection...we need more of that.
Kyle
Jeremy
Nov 21, 2013
Mindie
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
Inspiring, but boring in parts. Skimmed through a lot of it.
Rachel
Jul 03, 2014
Leslie
Dec 19, 2008
Mark
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very eye opening book about the guys you see that hold the signs.
Steph