Start by marking “Cankered Roots (Alex and Briggie #1)” as Want to Read:
Cankered Roots (Alex and Briggie #1)

Cankered Roots (Alex and Briggie #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  360 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Alexandra Campbell, a spunky young widow, partnered with Brighamina Poulson, an even spunkier, rifle-toting grandmother thinks that as they have begun a genealogy business (RootSearch, Inc.), it is high time she finds out her family secret. Something went wrong in her family during her adolescence, changing her mother from a Chicago North Shore matron into an alcoholic and ...more
Published 1994 by Deseret Book Co.

To ask other readers questions about Cankered Roots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cankered Roots

Stacie Amelotte
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Being a genealogist, I was excited to read this book. I love how the book is set in 1989, the days before technology. It’s fun to read about researching “old school.” Incorporating history into the mystery allows the storyline to have multiple layers and depth. The author is very talented to be able to develop the characters, past and present, and tie them altogether. The story line is very interesting and unique. There are four more books in this series and I am anxious to read all of them.
Alana Tompkins
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Rachel
I love (and know) G.G. Vandagriff. The first book I read of her's was "Of Deadly Descent" which was actually the 2nd of her 3 books in this group. "Cankered Roots" was the first, which I finally got ahold of this summer. I read that, then re-read "Of Deadly Descent". I also read "Tangled Roots", the latest in this group. I loved the characters in the books, Alex and Briggie. She is currently writing the 4th of the Alex and Briggie adventures and she's been getting alot of my input on it. I'd rec ...more
Natalie
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a new Author and genre for me, I wasn't to sure how I would like this book as it's got a lot of geneology to it. I was pleasantly surprised as it was filled with mystery as well, the blurb of the novel peeked my interest and I'm very glad it did as I was thrilled reading it.

Having not read this type of book before I took a little bit for me to get into, but, once I did it took off like a bullet and I could not put it down. I loved GG's style of writing, I really loved how she mixed myst
Jaidis Shaw
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cankered Roots by GG Vandagriff is an emotional tale of love, loss and finding out who you are. Alex, a genealogist, takes a break from helping others learn about their family trees and concentrates on her own. Desperately wanting to have a family after her husband's death, she sets out to uncover the grandfather she barely knew and whom her parents are determined to forget ever existed. What she begins to uncover reminds Alex that sometimes it is better to leave things buried in the past.

Origin
Jeanette
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
I don't have much to say about this book because frankly, I did not enjoy it all that much.
Cankered Roots is the story of Alex Campbell and her search for answers to her past. Alex has not seen or spoken to her parents in years and after confronting them about the "family secret" her father is murdered. Alex and her friend/business partner begin to unravel the secret through genealogical research in order to catch the murderer.
The characters were flat and I often found myself wondering what thei
Nancy
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-group, mystery
This was a book group read. It is sort of Mormon fiction, but the 'Mormon' portions are very small and somewhat unnecessary. It is basically a mystery where a murder occurs because of genealogy or family research that is being done and the mystery and murder are solved because of the genealogy. Crazy, no? It became a little confusing, but if you read it quick and when you aren't tired you will probably fair better. The big issue I had with it is kind of silly. Alex - the main character - goes 'h ...more
Trisha
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-fiction, mystery
Synopsis:
Because I am a genealogy enthusiast, my mysteries naturally feature genealogy sleuths—Alexandra Campbell and Brighamina Poulson. Alex reunites with her parents for the first time in eighteen years, and the result is murder! In order to solve it, she and Briggie have to uncover the secrets in her own family tree, discovering in the process why she was sent away to Paris at age eighteen. A recent convert to the LDS church, she is still grieving over the death of her husband, but is powerf
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for mystery lovers and history lovers. To solve the mystery you need to go into the past to learn the truth behind it. The characters are lovable and very real; by the end of the book I felt I was part of the team! The story is fast paced and keeps you guessing and when you get to the end you want more! Lucky that this is just the first in the series (at the moment there are 5 Alex and Briggie mysteries)! I really enjoyed this book and I like that it is a very well written sto ...more
Susan
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This story was so jam-packed with action I kept thinking G.G. Vandagriff is a very gifted author. I don't have a clue how she created this story because it was mind boggling. I immediately liked Alex and Daniel. They seem to read each other well, and I hope their relationship will blossom. And, I sort of read into a possible relationship between Daniel's father and Alex's partner Brighamina (I really like that name!). What I really learned from this story is how interesting genealogy could be us ...more
Kimberly Fields
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I re-read this book recently and enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. Genealogy and murder mystery are a brilliant combination. Alex is a fun, but not too perfect, protagonist, with plenty of realistic (and a few less realistic) problems. Although it's an LDS novel, the religious themes weren't overpowering to the story, which I appreciated. A fun, light read for anyone who likes genealogy, mysteries, or especially a combination of the two.

Note: for some reason the books in this seri
Jackie
Jul 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Who takes so long to read a 200 page book? Had it not been for the library challenge, I would have thrown this book in the trash ( ok, maybe not, as it is a library book, and I don't want to pay 40 bucks to replace it). I see what folks mean now when they say "I read things I would not have picked up if it wasn't for the challenge!". Next time, I am skipping the challenge and checking out one of my faves. And this book is a series, so I COULD read more.....egads!
Dalesse
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this mystery as well as the sub-plots going on that are somehow linked back to the main mystery. I really enjoyed it and want to find her third book that also has the same main character.
Mabeo
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely fantastic mystery all about GENEALOGY!! It made me remember the excitement of unconvering your family, of solving the mysteries, of learning about your own personal history. Great book.
Patricia Gulley
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
The mystery was complicated, but the story wondered all over the place getting to a most convoluted ending. It was hard to like the main character.
Chris
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Alex is a delightful character!
D
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this in December through the KDP Select lending program. It dealt with two interests of mine, genealogy and murder. As the author notes in "A Letter to Readers" this was her first published book from 1994. She states in the book that it was set in 1992 (Kindle location 4253) However internal evidence suggests that the story was actually happening in 1989-- see below.

Which brings me to the story. The main character is a widowed convert to Mormonism and a professional genealogist. Not o
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
As our story opens “Crouching in the overgrown shrubs, the stocky, ginger-haired man consulted his watch for the fifth time in the past half hour. Where was she? . . . Then he heard it— the slap of sandals against the brick sidewalk . . . he gripped the butt of the gun in his pocket . . . with glee . . . darting out in the open he fired. The victim looked down and saw the spreading stain darkening her shirt. . . She leaped off the steps, kicked off her sandals and struck the squirt gun from his ...more
Marci
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Genealogy is my main hobby and reading murder mysteries is my second, so this book combining the two naturally appealed to me. I liked the convoluted genealogical puzzle and the way they went about solving it best. The telling of the tale was a little rough and the characters not completely believable, especially the main character, Alex, but she is likable, so I forgave the rough edges and got the second book in the series. Alex's partner, Brighamina "Briggie" Poulson, and Alex's boyfriend's fa ...more
Betty
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, kindle
Alex has been estranged from her parents for years. They weren't even there for her when her husband died in a plane accident.

Since then she's joined the LDS church and become a certified geneologist, and she needs to get information from her parents to complete her geneology.

Her parents are noticable upset by her request. She leaves frustrated. That night her father is murdered. Although she is one of the suspects (and partially because of it), she's determined to find her father's killer and f
Pam
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: default
I really like the idea of a mystery tied up in someone's family history.

Annabeth
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Saying I enjoyed this book isn't quite true. But I didn't DISlike it. It was a good story, and that's why I kept reading. But her writing was VERY choppy, and I had to reread many things to understand what she was saying. The storyline also was confusing.
I also wanted to read it so that I can read the next 3 books in the series. I DID like that her LDS tones were not heavy nor tedious; just right on that count.
Carol
Jun 06, 2008 added it
A murder mystery with a twist. Alexandra Campbell knows there is a family secret about her grandfather that has torn her family apart. When she presses her father for details, he is found dead. She begins to unravel the family secrets in earnest in a way that only a professional genealogist is equipped to do. Alexandra's troubled life wasn't nearly as distracting to me as the improbability of the whole convoluted plot. Still it's a quick read and engaging.
Susan
May 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Mystery solved by genealogists? Alexandra is struggling to find a sense of "family" and pushes her parents to tell her more about her beloved grandfather. Of course, everything isn't quite what it seemed. Lost me partway through and I felt they jumped to too many conclusions didn't care for the ending - felt like it was set up for another book (which I don't like. Tell me a story then stop and tell me another, please!).
Becky
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
It was slightly funny reading this book because it's really outdated. I looked at the publication date and it was 1994. The characters were using pay phones and not able to get a hold of each other (life before the cell phone). The story line was alright and it did keep me guessing until the end, but I wasn't completely invested in the story for some reason.
Ndshill
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Having read two other books in this series, I decided to start at the begining. I think I enjoyed this book the best so far. It was fast-paced and had enough plot twists to keep me up at night. I loved following their methods of searching out the family history. It was satisfying on a lot of levels.
Jackie Cain
An interesting genealogical mystery, set in the US and before the internet so lots of reviewing records and travelling to different libraries where they are stored. The protagonist is a little irritating but that says more about my lack of sympathy I think. I'm learning more about the Latter Day Saints than before too but it is quite refreshing to have a new flavour in the book.
Terry
Nov 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy mystery, tied in with history, you should enjoy any books written by this author. Plus her books are very clean. I always think that the sign of a good author is someone who can write a book that keeps the reader's attention without a bunch of smut and coarse language--anyone can do that stuff!
Cathi
Jul 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I usually like mysteries, and I love trying to figure it out on my own. But in this one, you just didn't get all the information so you had no clue who the bad guy was until the very end. I think I would've preferred it if there had been more info on the bad guy so I could've figured it out on my own.
Lacey
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Whoever thought that genealogy could make a suspenceful mystery book? As exciting as that sounds, it was hard to follow the story and feverishly looking through microfishe for clues at a library didn't exactly get my blood pumping. It was okay though, especially if you've ever had fun looking through a military index for hours.
John
Jun 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, lds-fiction
Written by my former bishop's wife. Thought it would be worth it to check it out, since I know the author and I like mysteries.

I liked the book - it was hard to put down in a few places - but there were parts of it that I didn't feel were entirely believable. I tend to be over critical at times, though. My wife read this before I did and really liked it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • House of Secrets (Shandra Covington, #1)
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Vanished (Maggie McKenzie Mystery, #1)
  • Cover Up
  • Echoes
  • Blink of An Eye
  • Poison (Haggerty Mystery, #6)
  • Mummy's the Word
  • Fool Me Twice
  • Abandoned
  • Idle Playgrounds
  • On Second Thought
G.G. Vandagriff is the author of twenty-four books and is an Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. The Last Waltz, the first novel in her 20th Century Historical Romance Series won the Whitney Award for Best Historical Novel in 2009. There are now two more books in that series—Exile and Defiance.
Twelve of her novels are Regency romances, compared by critics to the witty novels of Georgette Heyer. She has
More about G.G. Vandagriff

Alex and Briggie (5 books)
  • Of Deadly Descent
  • Tangled Roots
  • Poisoned Pedigree
  • The Hidden Branch

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Now You See Her
    $10.00 $2.99
  • The Beast (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #21)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
    $14.99 $4.99
  • The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Marathon Man
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning
    $15.95 $1.99
  • The Second Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spree (Codename: Chandler #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
  • Silent Victim
  • In Farleigh Field
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dying to Tell (Slaughter Creek, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonfeather (Gibson Vaughn, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Dark Mind (Lizzy Gardner #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Thunder of Heaven (The End Series, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time Heals No Wounds (Baltic Sea Crime #1)
  • The Good Samaritan
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Looking Glass  (The Naturalist #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • My Sister's Grave (Tracy Crosswhite #1)