Start by marking “It's Pumpkin Time!” as Want to Read:
It's Pumpkin Time!

It's Pumpkin Time!

A brother and sister get ready for Halloween early -- by planting their own pumpkin patch! Readers will discover the simple joys of gardening and enjoy watching the exciting transformation from pumpkin seed to jack-o'-lantern.
Published September 1st 1999 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about It's Pumpkin Time!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Pumpkin Time!

Dianna
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book gives a detailed description of how pumpkins grow. My son and I loved reading it together! I like the style of the illustrations as well.
Tabatha Mulkey
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-21-30
Summary: This book is about a brother and sister who are getting ready for their favorite holiday. It goes through all the steps of how they planted pumpkin seeds to make a pumpkin patch. They go trick-or-treating at the end.

Evaluation: I really liked this book! It had really colorful illustrations. It was accurate in the steps of how a pumpkin grows.

Teaching Idea: I would use this book to teach my class the life cycle of a pumpkin. After we read this book, we would go back to our seats and dra
Alexis Zappitelli
This is a cute short read about two brothers and sisters getting ready for Halloween early by planting pumpkin seeds. The story goes on to show the pumpkins growing big and then turning into jack-o-lanterns for the holiday. I thought this was a good little book especially for ELL students to learn about one of the fun traditions that go along with Halloween.
Brianna Owoc
The story shows how to grow a pumpkin in a simple way by a step by step process. The book is good to show young children how plants grow around fall. The children are able to see the process of a pumpkin growing. The beginning and end of the book show seeds then pumpkins and Jack-o-lanterns which can hook a child into the story.
Tracy
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My little ones checked this out from the library, and I totally used it for a Popsugar Reading Challenge prompt including Halloween, because I'm being kind to myself in a category that I don't particularly care for. That being said, I really liked this book and its illustrations. It's wonderful for it's intended audience (ask me exactly how many times I've read it, grin).
Braley Hale
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is great for the month of October. It talks about how you can grow pumpkins. It also shows the stages of growing that a pumpkin goes through and how they change colors. Then by the end of the book, it gives a description about how pumpkin seeds grow undergo. Therefore, I liked this book because even though it is very simple, it is also very informational.
Diane
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Describes how a girl and boy get ready for their favorite holiday by planting pumpkin seeds. We follow the pumpkin from seeds to sprouts to vines to pumpkins to jack-o-lanterns.

End pages are cool. Also, in the back, a page for “How our pumpkin seeds grow underground.”
Jill Leininger
This book is very cute way of showing how pumpkins come about. It shows the process and patience needed to have a pumpkin patch. The pictures are great and nicely in color. I would recommened this book for a preschool or kindergarden class learning about the process of pumpkins.
Sarah Wiwchar
Read with: PreK
They enjoyed it and made many connections. There are not many words so it is a shorter story which allowed them more time to make comments and connections about pumpkins, etc.
I would definitely read it again with PreK and Kindergarten.
Jody
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice for a not-scary-at-all Halloween story, but a little boring.
Taylor Tomb
It's pumpkin time and this books tells us the story of the development of a pumpkin. It shows you that it all starts in the spring and makes its way to Halloween season.
Hannah
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book to read before going to the pumpkin patch!!
Sharla Bazen
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Genre: Fiction, Children's Picture book, BIG book

Unique feature: BIG book, tells the process of growing a pumpkin!

Grade level suggested: K-2
Sara Lechner
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Very basic, very little content. Used as a read aloud for instruction on the steps to grow a pumpkin and the pumpkin life cycle.
Christine Heron
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice story to share with children in the fall.
Katy
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime3-5
This is a good storytime option. It gets into the basics of how things grow and it does have an excellent page turn question toward the end.
Olivia Mullen
I thought this book was really cute and simple which is nice for children that are at younger ages and reading levels. I would do this book as a read aloud in a classroom and then have them share stories related to what they do with their siblings or what their favorite trick or treating memory is. This would also be good to use for a lesson plan involving seasons and holidays. I really liked this book and feel that it can be used in many different ways.
Rachel Collins
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: Contemporary Realistic
Grade Level: 1-2

This was a cool book about planting and growing pumpkins. One of my favorite parts was that in the back there was a diagram of how pumpkins actually form. The book was educational and easy to read. The plot was a little dull in my opinion, but the illustrations were great. I think if a classroom was learning about pumpkins, it would be a good book to go along with that lesson. Overall I would recommend this cute, educational book.
Beckie
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Skye chose this book because there was a big, cute doggie on the cover. We read about the life cycle of a pumpkin that culminated in being carved on Halloween. Simple, colorful pictures and held the attention of a 7 year old and a 22 month old.
Nathan
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Simple book for kids to learn how to grow pumpkins.
Kandice Buck
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: seasons
This book is about two siblings who have a favorite holiday and it is Halloween. To get ready for Halloween, they start early. They plant a "jack-o'-lantern patch". The reader learns the different gardening jobs that have to be done in order for the pumpkin seeds to grow into pumpkins. When the pumpkins finally grow, the brother and sister pick their favorite and have their parents help them carve out the faces they want on their pumpkin. Then it is time fore them to go trick or treating. This i ...more
Emily Garrison
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great little story that educates the reader about how jack-o-lanterns come to be. It starts with a brother and sister planting pumpkin seeds in their garden and tending to that garden all summer long. Finally when fall comes, the pumpkins start to turn from green to orange and great big pumpkins are ready to cut from the vine and take home to cut into jack-o-lanterns. The pictures are fabulous and the children enjoy trick or treating while the pumpkins stay home all lit up for the even ...more
Faith Bailey
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: rdng-350
A brother and sister welcome fall by growing their own pumpkins. They then learn how to carve it. Now they now how to make jack-o-lanterns from scratch... or seed!
I wasn't super thrilled with this book. I just think there are other more exciting ways to get students to anticipate fall and the festivities of the season. There are so many great books about fall out there that just dim the lights on this one.
This book would be great for very young children. I would be one to read aloud and stir u
Maria Burel
Think of it as the life-cycle of a jack-o-lantern, from seed packet to Halloween centerpiece. There’s alot of learning to be had from this book, and it worked out well that Preschooler was also talking about pumpkins and seeds and growing things last week, in preparation for her own trip to the pumpkin patch. Whether it’s at home,or in a preschool/kindergarten classroom, I’d recommend this one for incorporating both learning (life cycle of a seed) and Halloween into one lesson.
Oana Cerchezan
This science book is a good book for first graders to talk about the life process of plants. After reading this book, as a science experiment, the kids get the opportunity to plant their own seeds and watch their plant grow over the year!These observations can be recorded in their weekly science journals that they keep. After the plant grows, we discuss the changes and transformations of the plant we grew.
Jenna Arntz
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept-book
This would be a great book to read to students before Halloween. The book describes how a pumpkin is grown and all of the steps you need to take to make sure the pumpkin grows and is healthy. I think children could learn a lot about Pumpkins from this book. It would also be very easy to tie in an activity that goes along with the book.
Skylar Burris
Oct 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
My daughter currently talks constantly about two things: Halloween and Jesus. Go figure. This was a harmless enough little story to feed the former fascination, complete with biological information on how pumpkins grow. I hope she won't be suffering from too much anti-climatic feeling come Saturday, November 1st.
Melissa Sommer
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This book describes how pumpkins grow and develop. It also desribes trick or treating and halloween. I thought this will be a really informational book to read to children to introduce the halloween season. I also will be useful to read when you are teaching color lessons because it talks about how the leaves change to different colors in the fall.
Meg McGregor
Nov 12, 2013 rated it liked it
An insightful book that follows the journey of a pumpkin seed to full-grown which eventually winds up as the best jack-o-lantern at Halloween time. Bright colors that jump off the page will delight young readers at any time of the year.
Whitney Zollman
This is another great fall book especially around Halloween. This book describes how a pumpkin grows, Halloween, and how the leaves change colors. This is a great book for pre-k and Kindergarten students.
« previous 1 3 next »