Start by marking “The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World” as Want to Read:
The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World

The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World

(Lonely Planet Journey Books)

This book is the definitive pictorial dedicated to travel and the world, capturing every country on the planet with photographs and atmospheric text. Inspirational, inviting, and beautiful, it combines stunning images with entertaining and informative text that captures the essence of being there.
Published September 1st 2005 by Lonely Planet (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Travel Book, please sign up.
Lee Palmer The reviews are great, I just bookmarked this book, I guess it’s a perfect read before summer vacations. I usually search for inspiration at my favori…moreThe reviews are great, I just bookmarked this book, I guess it’s a perfect read before summer vacations. I usually search for inspiration at my favorite travel blogs https://travelsites.com/best-travel-b... , never read a travel related book before. Where can I legally purchase it? Thanks! (less)

Start your review of The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World
Natalie
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Do not buy or read this book if:

1.) You have no time to go on a long trip afterwards...
2.) You have no money to go on a long trip afterwards...
3.) You have no intension to be going on a long trip afterwards...

because it is sooooo well written and illustrated, you will feel antsy down to your toes...
...so off You go...
Pete
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
This might be my favorite book in the house.

Two pages devoted to each country in the world. All of the countries are in alphabetical order, so you skip around the world haphazardly - but that's part of what I like about this book. It's easy to navigate, well researched, and there's beautiful photography. Don't use this book to decide what country you'd like to visit though. it'll just make you want to visit them all.
Ariel
May 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coffeetablebooks
This is one of the most beautiful books I've come across in years. Stunning full-color, full-page pictures, country facts, and brief bits of Lonely Planet trivia--paging through this book is such a joy. Though the pictures don't necessarily represent the most typicaly beautiful parts of a country, they somehow capture those things that are remarkable about it. Books like this remind us why we love traveling and why we love this amazing world.
Pickle.
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My go-to sneaky read and few minutes of escapism when ‘working’ in the bookshop...
Faye
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, reviewed
Read: April 2020

This was a bittersweet read at a time when we are under coronavirus lockdown. Full of beautiful photographs and plenty of information, this has given me lots of travel inspiration for the future.
Sally
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I didn't exactly read *this* book, but I read the 2nd one. And until its on GoodReads, I'll keep this one on my bookshelf.

I wanted this book because I thought it would make for a great coffee table book. I love, love, LOVE to travel, so what better?!

Things I liked:
-it has almost every country
-the layout of each page (the pictures, the info, the stats)
-the majority of countries have 4 pictures
-the information provided (best time to visit; what to read, listen, watch, eat; in a word)
-the
Ana Flores
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must-have book for all travellers!
It is a coffee table book, so not one to carry around in your travels, but definitely a good starting point to decide where to go on your next adventure.
The book features a summary for each country in the world, including highlights, best times to visit, books to read, and obviously stunning pictures.
Highly recommend it.
Sue Flynn
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book on all the countries. It gives a great snapshot of each country's character and the pictures are amazing.
Ravi Prakash
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snapshots of every country. Great collection!!
Sharon
Nov 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Lonely Planet has done something very unusual here. With 213 countries (from Aghanistan to Zimbabwe -- and yes, in alphabetical order), with four pages per entry, they manage to get across a great deal of information.

Each country's entry has the same subsections: best time to visit (sometimes this is a different historical era), essential experiences, getting under the skin (with sections on what to read, listen to, watch, eat and drink); in a word (usually a greeting); trademarks, surprises, an
Meaghan
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The 1,200 photographs in this book are, for the most part, mouth-watering, and I like the egalitarian design (the countries are listed in alphabetical order, and each one gets two pages, no matter the size or population or relative fame). A word to the easily offended: there are several photos of bare-breasted women and at least one of nude children.

Certainly this book whets a person's appetite for international travel. As a travel guide it's not very useful, since there's only bits of informati
Jen
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This is one of my favorite books to look through. Whenever the travel bug bites I either watch one of Samantha Brown's shows on the Travel Channel or I pick this book up and the travel bug (temporarily) goes away. As much as I love to travel and see new places my bank account does not always agree! Actually, it rarely agrees! But this book helps keep me sane!

This book is amazing. Seriously. Lonely Planet takes you on an adventure, an adventure that goes through 230 countries (in alphabetical ord
Tisha
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Travelers & Wanderers
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
This book is an excellent summary of every country and island in the world. Lonely Planet takes you on a brief journey to countries far and wide in a completely unbiased way. The U.S. or China get the same 'face time' as Cyprus or Djibouti.

On each page you will find spectacular pictures capturing the culture of the country and its people, rather than the famous landmarks. The text begins with an introduction to the country, then proceeds with information that would be interesting to travelers; n
Lindsay Jarvis
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
As someone who has travelled extensively, I've read my share of travel guides. I have always found Lonely Planet books to be very evidently 'Mercian; there are several condescending remarks about many cultures and counties in this book (and others I've read) that have really turned me off. National Geographic or DK guides are the best by far!
Jason Jauron
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my top 5 coffee table books.
Michael Becerra
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent photos and guide information.
Sara Beth Wade
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book, though I do wish I had a more updated version now. Each country in the world gets a single two-page spread. Equal real estate goes to tiny island nations like Cyrus or Kiribati as to global super powers like France and the United States. And 75% of each spread is devoted to photos, so you only get a very small taste of what each country has to offer. That being said, Lonley Planet distills its information down to a fantastic overview, covering best times to visit, essential ...more
Lorri
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A nice coffee table book of interesting photos. However, given the errors and omissions I noted about the countries I am familiar with, I would discourage anyone from using this book to plan a journey.

1. In Canada (my home country), Anglophones are not predominantly bilingual and Francophones do not have control over the country - yes, they are disproportionately represented in parliament as is Prince Edward Island but they are still a minority in a huge North American sea.
2. Despite giving reco
✧nicole✧
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This travel book is honestly magical. It gives me that strong sense of need to travel, and I love it. When I'm flipping through the pages I feel as if I'm in the country. The pictures are breathtaking, like I would honestly buy a giant book full of photos from around the world. There's so much useful information, especially for someone who really wants to start traveling the world ASAP. It's a beautiful book and definitely a must in my family.
Kimberly Brown
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great resource for downtime in classrooms. My kids have enjoyed exploring it for years. Not for planning trips, but more for fun exploration and encouraging interest in the world.
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great reference guide with short, tantalizing snippets of the countries and what riches they hold for the traveler.

I need to just jump right into the book Mary-Poppins-style and visit EVERYWHERE!
Ashley Davidson-Fisher
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Being a person who loves to travel and wants to visit as many places as possible, I really enjoyed this book. Each evening I'd grab a pen and paper and as I read every inch of information given on each country, I would note down if that country was of interest for me to visit. As a result, I've amassed a lengthy "go visit" list (much to the chagrin of my husband who's told me I need to now have three steady jobs in order to be able to fund my wish travel list!) I loved the layout of the book wit ...more
Melissa
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The ultimate oversized coffee table book for the traveler and/or photographer. This is an alphabetical journey through every country in the world. Some I know I’ll never visit and I enjoyed the photos and biographies. Others, are already on my wish list, and this book whetted my appetite. Wouldn’t it be great to have the time, money and safety to visit them all? I hope to at least visit a few.
Elizabeth
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Updated version. It is the blue cover edition. I have read the other two editions previously and loved them both. These are beautiful summaries of every corner of the world. I want to leave on a vacation right now!
Birdie Passaro
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travelling
A brief review of most countries in the world describing a bit of its culture, landscape, polulation, health, wealth and economic data, and giving a brief overview on food and lifestyle, as well as how to travel there.
Jenny
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Borrowed this book from the library and took my time reading it. What a gem! I am definitely purchasing this book for my coffee table. I wish I didn’t read it during the pandemic though, as it makes me so sad that we can’t travel anywhere now.
Maggie Karpinen
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a cool book, with great photos and the highlights of every single country. For people who like to travel, this is a great resource to peruse your options!
Trish Leclerc
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a cool coffee table book but didn’t really deliver on my wanderlust yearnings. You just can’t get a good feel of some of the countries in a one pager.
Nathan Cooper
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty sure I've read the entire thing but just enjoy dipping in and out of this for some inspiration!
Robyn
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exquisite....Visually stunning....You'll find yourself hours later waking up from your reverie of one...more...page -- Every home library needs this addition.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Travel Book: A Journey Through Ever 2 8 Apr 12, 2018 11:10PM

• 1,000 Places to See Before You Die
  • Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips
  • 1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die
  • The Art of Travel
  • Atlas Obscura: An Explorer's Guide to the World's Hidden Wonders
  • London (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • A Year in the World: Journeys of a Passionate Traveller
  • Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door
  • Lonely Planet's Ultimate Travel: Our List of the 500 Best Places to See... Ranked
  • Enslaved by Ducks
  • 1000 Ultimate Experiences
  • Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel
  • The Happy Isles of Oceania: Paddling the Pacific
  • National Parks of America (Lonely Planet)
  • Ghost Train to the Eastern Star
  • Paris
  • Lonely Planet's Where To Go When
  • Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town

Lonely Planet Journey Books (9 books)
  • The Africa Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the Continent