Start by marking “The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living” as Want to Read:
The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living

The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living

For modern spiritual seekers and yoga students alike, here is an irreverent yet profound guide to the most sophisticated teachings of the yoga wisdom tradition–now brought to contemporary life by a celebrated author, psychotherapist, and leading American yoga instructor.

While many Westerners still think of yoga as an invigorating series of postures and breathing exercises,
Published June 27th 2006 by Bantam (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Wisdom of Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wisdom of Yoga

Ula
Sep 23, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the 1st book i've read about yoga and its deeper purpose. As an atheist, I am intrinsically weary of self-help and spiritual books but I am also deeply in love with yoga so I thought I'd give this book a go since I've heard great things about it. There was a lot of amazing insight in it for me, and I really like how he talks about the fact that scientists have studied what happens in our brains when we meditate and practice yogic physical and mental movements. That part of it speaks to m ...more
Phillip Moffitt
Stephen Cope is a psychotherapist and a longtime Kripalu Yoga teacher. In this book he integrates the Buddha’s insight of suffering into the daily lives of a series of friends who are fellow yoga practitioners. He provides a thorough teaching on the overlap of Patanjali’s yoga sutras with Theravada Buddhism, while respecting both traditions. The book provides a feel for how you might start to incorporate mindfulness in your own daily life.
Clif Brittain
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Clif by: Yoga Journal
There was a lot of meat on this bone. I have been practicing yoga for about eight months, and as I become more familiar with the physical aspects of yoga, I find myself more interested in the mental side as well. So there is a pull factor involved in exploring the wisdom of yoga. There is also a push factor, in that I am increasingly uneasy about my relationship with my church. There have been a lot of changes within the Catholic Church - new pope, new archbishop, new pastor - none of which reso ...more
Liz
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Patanjali's Yoga Sutras can be very hard to read as they are written in short and sometimes cryptic messages of wisdom. However, this book will take you through the lives of people and their struggles and apply the sutras (and more) to their life trials and tribulations. It's a great read for anyone whether you're in to practicing yoga or not.
Deidra
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I felt this book made a lot of wisdom clear and accessible. Unfortunately, the author quotes Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh/Osho a couple times toward the end and that put a damper on things for me. No matter how insightful BSR/Osho's pull quotes seem, he was a deeply corrupt person who deeply corrupted his followers and did great harm. His ideas and words do not deserve the esteem they are given.
Colleen
Mar 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Yoga teachers and students, spiritual seekers
Recommended to Colleen by: Jamie Reckers
I read this book for my Yoga Book Club here in Portland. As a yoga teacher, I really enjoyed how author Stephen Cope wove the Yoga Sutras throughout the book, making them less esoteric and more accessible than I've experienced in the past. He touches on psychology, neurology, and Buddhist philosophy as well as dozens of years of yoga scholarship to describe the yogic path to wisdom.
Jen
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book helps explain the yoga-sutra to a layperson such as myself. By using personal stories of people he's known the author shows how the concepts or sutras are manifested and/or can be put into practice. Part Five of the book (the last part) was the only part I found too existentialist, but perhaps I'm just not ready for that yet. I liked how he provided a comparative of raja-yoga and Buddhism- having read some works of lama surya das i was thinking I was seeing similarities...but wasn't su ...more
Lucy Ambs
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Okay so i only give 5 stars if the books changed my life.THIS BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE! 1. I have been mistaken my entire life on the most fundamental factors of being human. 2. I am now convinced Jesus was a Yogi. 3. Erratidating Duhka from my life will be but a byproduct of the life upon which i am embracing as of today. 4. WOW!
Devon Blakely
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful work!!! Cope has brought Patanjali's yoga sutras to life for me more than anything else i have read to date! Although he occasionally lost my interest with his foray into theoretical psychology, by framing the book around personal experience he has created a very modern day identification and the opportunity for personal application of this ancient wisdom.
Nancy B
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the first yoga book that I have read and found it very interesting and inspirational. I want to read Stephen's other book next....love the practice of yoga and want to continue reading more about the philosophy and practical applications.
Charissa
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
Love this book so much! 10 outta 5!
Josh
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like the combining aspects of Western Psychology with the inner mind working of yoga practice and meditation. Very inspiring to deepening my own practice.
Andrea
Apr 16, 2016 marked it as to-read
Very enjoyable and informative book about the yoga sutras.
Dan Bimrose
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book and enjoyable to read. It goes deep into meditation and provides some insight into what the possible actually is. It takes time for most of us to realize that “self” is a great deal more than what we see in the mirror. In a world full of meds to relieve depression and anxiety,any would be well served to take charge of their own healing and one does that by trying to figure out what’s going on in our head. I love speculating that many of the people that bought this book ...more
Alistar
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy recomendable si te interesa la filosofía del yoga y la meditación. Se basa en hacer digerible para occidentales el tratado del Yoga-Sütra de Patañjali. Te permite ver que el Yoga es algo más que una colección de posturas. Me sorprendió comprobar las profundas relaciones que existen entre el raja-yoga y el budismo, ambas corrientes se influenciaron mutuamente.
Me gustó también que el autor utilizara las historias personales de su grupo de Yoga para hacer más comprensibles los conceptos que ex
Lisa
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I studied with Stephen Cope twice at Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health and found him to be a very engaging and intelligent person. I spent a lot of time reading this book, as it's one to sip rather than guzzle. Stephen relates Patanjali's Yoga Sutras to his experience as a yoga seeker. As a yoga teacher, I'm hoping to use some of this in my teaching. The book is much more theoretical than I anticipated and quite dense.
Bruno Bovani
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful true story that explains and defines yoga in plain English. If you want to understand the intent of your yoga practice... Things like why am I doing these postures and breathing; what am I working toward; what can I expect from yoga; what do these Vedic words like prana and asana mean... this book will spell it out for you.
Kimmy Gaul
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An easy, relatable read that doesn’t skimp on depth. Diving into the yoga sutra and the ordinary struggles of life, readers gain a well rounded understanding of questions and experiences that humans have had for thousands of years. This is going up on the list of one my top books. Transformative in nature, especially for those who practice yoga and meditation wanting to sink deeper. Recommended!!
Vince
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the most helpful things about this book is how the author clearly articulates the similarities between Buddhism and the yogic tradition (along with a few of the differences). It's a little dense, but helpful for anyone looking to understand the philosophy behind those stretchy poses.
Diya
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was part of my yoga teacher training recommended reading list..... Goodreads just (re)recommended it to me. I often return to the journey my inner world took during this book.... ‘transformative’ is accurate. Stephen Cope walks his talk and is a very good role model.
Cynthia Campbell
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book while attending yoga school. I thought the story was great for bringing in ALL the limbs of yoga not just asana. Showed me how they work together.
Paul
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a trip! Life changing book.
Jordan Yee
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Required reading for yoga teacher training
Justin
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Above average and easy to read
Ann Marie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was terrific; it was insightful and thoughtful. The content offered clear lines of connection with the text - Yoga-Sutra.
Stephanie Spence
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-yoga-library
One of my favorites that I refer to often.
Pradnya
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-reading
Interesting case studies and how the experiences of individuals evolve in response to their introspective and meditation practices.
Amanda
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
As an on and off practitioner of yoga, I can relate to the first half of the book. The second half, as others have mentioned in their reviews, relates to higher concepts on yoga that seem only attainable by those who are able to intensely study for months or even years at a time. It is unlikely that I'll ever be able to attain this level of understanding but it was well described. It just wasn't anything that I could relate to or really see myself using.
Roxanne
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga, spirituality
I found Cope's approach to this book pretty fascinating. He began writing the book with the intention of writing a traditional commentary on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, and he completed exhaustive research into yoga philosophy and Sanskrit with this in mind; however, the focus of the project morphed and shifted as he wrote. The final book includes three intertwining components: commentary and explanation of the yoga sutras, explication of the sutras from a modern psychological perspective based on ...more
Robin Ripley
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meditation, yoga
For someone interested in the philosophical foundations of yoga (It's not just exercise!), this is an excellent book. Cope weaves the stories of five people on the path toward understanding with the philosophy and theory behind yoga. In the process, he manages to make some very high-concept ideas understandable.

I hung with him all the way until near the very end when it became pretty difficult for me--the discussion of the mystical, transcendent experience of meditation. It seemed very inaccess
Can a Christian find truth in the wisdom of Yoga? 2 18 Dec 18, 2009 09:46AM
  • Kripalu Yoga: A Guide to Practice On and Off the Mat
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life
  • Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living
  • Yoga Body, Buddha Mind
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Yoga from the Inside Out: Making Peace with Your Body Through Yoga
  • Insight Yoga
  • Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization
  • The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health: A Lifelong Guide to Wellness
Stephen Cope is the director of the Kripalu Institute for Extraordinary Living, the largest yoga research institute in the Western world—with a team of scientists affiliated with major medical schools on the East coast, primarily Harvard Medical School. He has been for many years the senior scholar in residence at Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health in Lenox, Massachusetts, and is the author of fou ...more
“Quoting from Thomas Merton
Dialogues With Silence
The true contemplative is not one who prepares his mind for a particular message that he wants or expects to hear, but is one who remains empty because he knows that he can never expect to anticipate the words that will transform his darkness into light. He does not even anticipate a special kind of transformation. He does not demand light instead of darkness. He waits on the Word of God in silence, and, when he is answered it is not so much by a word that bursts into his silence. It is by his silence itself, suddenly, inexplicably revealing itself to him as a word of great power, full of the voice of God. (17)”
35 likes
“Quoting from Phillip Moffitt
Will Yoga and Meditation Really Change My Life?
The most profound change I’m aware of just now is a growing realization that life is not personal. This may seem a surprising or even strange view to those unfamiliar with Eastern spirituality, but it has powerful implications. It’s very freeing to see that events in my life are arising because of circumstances in which I am not involved, but that I’m not at the center of them in any particular way. They’re impersonal. They’re arising because of causes and conditions. They are not “me.” There is a profound freedom in this. It makes life much more peaceful and harmonious because I’m not in reaction to events all the time. (134)”
3 likes