Start by marking “Light on the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali” as Want to Read:
Light on the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali

Light on the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  774 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
BKS Iyengar’s translation and commentary on these ancient yoga sutras has been described as the “bible” of yoga.
This new edition of the classic text contains a new introduction by BKS Iyengar, as well as a foreword by Godfrey Devereux, author of Dynamic Yoga.

Patanjali wrote this collection of yoga wisdom over 2,000 years ago. They are amongst the world’s most revered and a
Published October 21st 2002 by Thorsons (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Light on the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light on the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali

Marla
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Each page is a lifetime of learning. I'll be reading this book the rest of my life.
Charlotte
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, this is quite a dense and intense read and I am glad to have read it after Light on Yoga by the same author, which prepared me for some of the deeper concepts. It was part of the required pre-reading of a yoga teacher training course I took. On the first reading I was feeling a bit bogged down by the sanskrit, and especially by parts of Vibhuti Pada. I've since been over it again to summarise it, and found I was feeling more comfortable with it and more familiar with sanskrit words. There is ...more
Roxana Zirakzadeh
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and I highly recommend this translation. Iyengar has the sanskrit word by word translation, then each verse, then his own commentary. Amazing. Great if you want to see the original language and the Iyengar's insights.
Elizabeth
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Intense. Not for the faint yogi or philosopher. Excellent description and explanation of the sutras. If you're working on your sanskrit, it's a good book for that.
Karan Bajaj
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I dig the intellectual puzzle of esoteric yoga scriptures but even more so, they always leave me suddenly calm and full of perspective. Iyengar's translation was a standout for me among many others I read because he seemed to have lived his yoga. The book, especially the 3rd section, Vibhuti Pada, was a key inspiration for THE YOGA OF MAX'S DISCONTENT, my first international novel.
Susan
Nov 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I will actually be reading this book over and over for a long time. It is an in depth explanation on the philosophy of yoga. It is dense and there is much to be learned here. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in Hindu philosophy and yoga.
Sydra Mallery
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I've read it once. This is the start of a beautiful relationship with a book.
Dennis Littrell
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The theory behind the practice

There was yoga before the time of Patanjali but it was not written down, or at least no text survives. We find elements of the practice in the Upanishads and of course in the Bhagavad Gita. But before Patanjali's codification there was no systematic text to guide the aspirant. Since then Patanjali's sutras have been translated into many languages along with commentary to elucidate the concise text, with Vyasa's commentary from the ninth century--upon which Iyengar m
Milind
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this book after some years of practice. It will make more sense.
Ashok Krishna
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To anyone keen on entering the vast, wise world of Yoga and embarking on a spiritual journey, this book is a must read. The eternal wisdom of Patanjali, offered as intense nuggets, have been profoundly and brilliantly explained by the renowned yoga guru B.K.S.Iyengar. As the book progresses, you can't help but feel a change in your attitude towards life. A worthy read that will assist in your yogic practices and spiritual journey.
Timmy Fearn
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had been wading through this book for some time. Finally something clicked and I was able to understand much more clearly the nuances of the consciousness that were being discussed. I find humor in this as it is actually written very clearly, but my mind was not able to remain focused on the subject in the beginning.
A wide ranging look at the consciousness and how it relates to our journey through life.
Pragya Bhatt
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome interpretation of the Yoga Sutras. I gave it 5 stars because it was great in terms of breaking down and explaining every sutra in detail. However, the language is very colloquial, which a lot of readers might not appreciate. That said, some readers may not read the book in its entirety because many sutras are complex and would require a steady yoga practice to really understand. However, 5 stars because it was a great source for the English interpretaion of the sutras.
Kartik Subramanian
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book, personally the experience of reading this book along with my yoga asana practice has given a new meaning to my outlook on life. The meaning of each and every sanskrit word is explained in great detail by guruji BKS Iyengar, also the commentary by guruji BKS iyengar helps in understanding the meaning of each sutra.
This book I believe is for everyone to read, not just yoga practitioners, to gain a new perspective towards life.
Alex  L
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I mean. It's where yoga comes from! Anyone interested in buddhism, yoga, hinduism or just living with more compassion should definitely read this. But don't think too hard ... it is all meaningless ;)
Trevor
Oct 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yogis and other seekerz
i read this ish cover to cover, which maybe i wouldn't recommend. this book has a lot of great gems in it, but even just the practice of reading it was a great exercise in abstract thinking as well as simple awareness.
Kelly
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Concentration on the sutras is vital and reading them is one of contemplation and letting everything sink in. BKS Iyengar gives the most clear and concise definitions of the sutras. It is a must read.
LeeLee
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A complete guide to unravel the dynamics of disentanglement as portrayed in dualistic theories of Samkhya. Great start for students of classical yoga.
John Hawkins
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Probably Iyengar's best work. He still sees the Sutras in a religious vein, but that is OK. He brings out wonderful ideas.
Speaker Stelios
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the commentary, the graphs and pretty much everything in this great book.
Can t recomend it more to all Yogis out there who want to dive deeper into the Yoga Sutras
Ellen Chamberlin
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So poetic, easy to understand, and beautiful. I will read this again and again. Has changed my life, I finished it last night and had the most amazing dream.
Jen
May 19, 2014 added it
A hard read, but still some deep and yet basic ideas about life and the foundations of yoga.
Emilie
Jul 25, 2008 added it
B.K. Iyeanger is my hero!
Katherine Page
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
good classic yoga reference!
Stacey
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great primer on how to maneuver the world while staying in a yogic mode of right action. Even though I've read it a zillion times, I'm still failing!
Jenn
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga, spiritual
The only translation I own...I've heard of a really good translation by a woman. Let me know if you know of that one.
Maureen
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is not the type of thing you read and then put away. This is a book to dedicate oneself to. Intense.
Paula Crawford-hall
Good but needs to be read more than once!!!!
Awinash Jha
Good ...heavy read on patan jail ..but very authentic.
Leigh
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: did-not-finish
I read sections of this when I was in yoga teacher training. Now, I'm going to start from the beginning and read through as part of my yoga practice.
Olya Chizh
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As if it were even possible to finish reading a spiritual treatise.
An essential book that you have to re-read every day.
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Yoga: A Gem for Women
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga Nidra
  • The Yoga-Sutra of Patanjali: A New Translation with Commentary
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • The Yoga Sutras
  • The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Yoga: Discipline of Freedom: The Yoga Sutra Attributed to Patanjali
Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar (Kannada: ಬೆಳಳೂರ ಕೃಷಣಮಾಚಾರ ಸುಂದರರಾಜ ಐಯಂಗಾರ), (also known as Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar) (Born December 14, 1918 in Bellur, Kolar District, Karnataka, India) is the founder of Iyengar Yoga. He is considered one of the foremost yoga teachers in the world and has been practicing and teaching yoga for more than 75 years. He has written many books on yogic practi ...more
More about B.K.S. Iyengar...
“Asana has two facets, pose and repose. Pose is the artistic assumption of a position. ‘Reposing in the pose’ means finding the perfection of a pose and maintaining it, reflecting in it with penetration of the intelligence and with dedication.” 3 likes
“Patañjali is saying that yoga is a preventive healing art, science and philosophy, by which we build up robust health in body and mind and construct a defensive strength with which to deflect or counteract afflictions that are as yet unperceived afflictions.” 2 likes