Start by marking “Man in White” as Want to Read:
Man in White

Man in White

Johnny Cash. The Apostle Paul. Passionate. Controversial. Fiery. Destructive. Redeemed.

Two legendary men. Two thousand years apart-yet remarkably similar.

Both struggled with a "thorn in the flesh." And both had powerful visions from God.

Paul's encounter with the Man in White knocked him to the ground and struck him blind. It also turned him into one of the most influential
Published August 8th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Man in White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man in White

Jeff
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When most people write their thoughts on something that came from the mind of Johnny Cash it is usually about his music. I love Johnny Cash's music, he is by far one of my favorite all time musicians.

However this is not the case with this blog. I just finished reading Johnny Cash's novel "The Man In White" which is about the conversion of the Apostle Paul. I was not sure if a country musician writing a novel about Paul would intrigue me or be accurate to history. I was so wrong.

This novel is fic
E
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've not heard of this book, the proper response should be, "Wait, Johnny Cash--that Johnny Cash--wrote a novel about the apostle Paul?" But that's not the surprising thing; the surprising thing is that it is actually really good! Naturally a songwriter like John R. Cash has a way with words, and he brings that skill to full effect here. But as is obvious from the foreword, he also did a ton of research into first-century Palestine. He also knows his Bible through and through. (You can also ...more
TAB
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1980s, america
As I said in my review of Cain, I love it when an author dives into what isn't told in the Bible. Unlike Cain we are here at least in the realm of history and Johnny Cash certainly did his due diligence in terms of research before he wrote this novel. Having read his autobiography a couple times, I was well aware of how much he put into this novel, and I'm quite happy with myself that I finally got around to reading it.

One criticism might be that I think Cash doesn't spend enough time on Paul vs
Josiah
The Man in Black's take on the Apostle Paul, who was transformed by the Man in White! Though Cash is an amateur writer he does a great job presenting Saul of Tarsus as a real man we can relate to, including probable motivations, emotions, and thought processes. Saul's love for the Law is transferred to love for the Lord Jesus in moving passages. Especially well-written is a scene between Saul, James, Peter & Barnabus arguing over which requirements will be taught to the Gentile Christians. T ...more
Karen Murano
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of my all time favorites. I can't believe I own an original copy... my friend found one and bought it for me. I read it from a library years earlier and wished I had a copy.
Mr Cash really gives a fresh vantage point to the Apostle Paul, he brings out a man to admire not just a scholar and writer, but a man with a testimony. A man with a 180 life change that inspires us to this day, and this story of what it may have been like is not just a story, but thoroughly researched and p
Bonnie
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you can get your hands on this one, you've got to read it. I was SO pleasantly surprised....what a find!
Steven Wedgeworth
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a neat little book. Johnny Cash does bible fiction. It's not amazing writing, but the content is quite good. Cash is well-acquainted with both the New Testament and 1st cent. Jewish history. He adds a bit of "extra" stuff-- fictional characters and conversations-- but he sticks to the account of Paul's life given to us in Acts (and a bit from Galatians). AD 70 looms large as well, and so again, Cash has done his homework.

I also appreciated the introduction, where Cash explains why he w
Jordan
Jan 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: literature
If God has a voice, I fully expect it to sound like Johnny Cash. Every word he sang resonates passion and fairness and truth. So when he talks about faith, it's impossible not to feel a little spark of the divine, no matter how cynical and backslidden a Christian one may be. Anyone preaching behind a pulpit usually just ends up making me angry, but thirty seconds of a Cash gospel song still melts me into a puddle.

I wanted to feel the same thing reading this novel, but it just didn't happen. The
Thom Willis
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, christianity
This book was an engaging and quick read. Cash surely knew his history and scripture before he wrote it. It doesn't really betray his Baptist loyalties either, and I think this book is a good read for any Christian interested in an admittedly fictional retelling of St Paul's conversion. Some of the dialogue was a bit awkward and unnatural, and the narrative could have benefited from a break from Saul's thought process. But the book does give you a good feel for the first century world.
Maurice Williams
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The famous rock singer Johnny Cash wrote this biography of Saint Paul. Johnny Cash almost destroyed his singing career and probably his life with addiction to drugs. Finally in mid-career, when he was about 36, he had a conversion experience and was able to come off drugs. From then on for the remaining 35 years of his life, he remained a devout Christian and many times bore witness to Christ even on the stage before large audiences.

Cash always felt uncomfortable with sectarian divisions within
Linda
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
What better person to be called into Christ's service! Saul/Paul was the most qualified to deliver the gospel of Christ, having been immersed in The Laws of the Old Testament. Knowing and obeying Scripture was his passion! He was a Pharisee above all Pharisees, making sure that everyone else knew and obeyed Scripture, as well. His conversion to New Testament Christianity gave him a new level of understanding of the message of the Old Testament that points to Christ.

Saul's encounter with Christ o
Darla
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a work of genius and I am so thankful to have discovered it thanks to Stephen Nichols of Tabletalk magazine and his Last Things column in the August, 2017 issue.

While classified as a work of fiction, this book is so much more than that. It was a labor of love for Cash and he dedicates it to his father Ray Cash. In the Introduction, Cash writes: "Perhaps a few of the things I have written, I humbly suggest, resulted from a tiny flicker from God's great storehouse of brilliance. I ded
Eliza
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Excellent read, highly recommend! I was really surprised at Johnny Cash's ability as an author, as well as his incredible attention to detail. You can tell that this is a subject that he had a great deal of respect for, and he has handled it with the care and consideration it deserves. I would highly recommend reading this book in conjunction with the Book of Acts in the Bible, as this novel really helped add depth to my reading of Acts.
I am looking forward to reading The Man in Black to learn m
Gloria
Johnny Cash writes a novel about Saul of Tarsus. He researched the context/culture/times that Saul was in. Cash portrays Saul as a man wholly devoted to God, even before meeting the "Man in White" on the road to Damascus.

The disagreements between the apostles (through their letters) is portrayed through a conversation between Paul, James, Peter, and Barnabus.

There are a number of dreams and visions that Saul had, mostly artistic license, though they did fit within the story very well.
Patrick
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a surprisingly good first-and-only novel about Saint Paul from the legendary singer and songwriter, who learned all he could about Jewish life during and soon after the time of Jesus over the course of many years. For the sake of alleviating any confusion, it should be noted that the book's titular "Man in White" is Jesus, and (more specifically) Jesus as Paul famously encounters him on the ancient road between Jerusalem and Damascus.
Paul
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A realistic novel depicting the life of St Paul from a few days prior to and a few weeks after his conversion on the road to Damascus. Detailed, believable and easy to read.
Who knew that Johnny Cash could write? I mean, we knew he could write songs and sing them. But books?
I think it was a labor of love. And well worth it.
Jonathan
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really interesting and inspiring fictionalized novel about the Apostle Paul. Multiple times it brought tears to my eyes. The story of his vision of Jesus and the immediate aftermath was powerful. It dragged a little toward the end, but still with the read.
Carl  Palmateer
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read, well done but my favorite part was the preface. Very real and personable. The book itself is a semi fictionalized life of Paul. It is a far more manageable size than something like "Great Lion of God".
victoria
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5; had no idea Johnny Cash wrote a novel. and about Paul!!! what a pleasant surprise.
Kelly
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve always known Cash’s abilities as a songwriter and storyteller, and I can’t help but think both contributed to this fantastic book about the Apostle Paul.
Ana Boskovic
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roman je čudesan. Prevod odličan!
Zach Zook
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Interesting read, a bit belabored to get through - slow start, but speeds up the farther you get through it. However, very interesting for someone who enjoys Johnny Cash.
Cathy Houston
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cathy by: catwoho@aol.com
one legend writes about another; interesting view point
Andy Mckinney
I was scanning the shelves of my local library and this book with a dark spine jumped out at me. I looked at the cover and saw a man on the ground beside a horse. At first I thought it was going to be some sort of modern Western which would have been cool. When I looked properly, however, and saw it was a novel about the apostle Paul by Johnny Cash I knew I had to borrow it. Johnny Cash is a legend whatever age you are and he was renowned as being very human but for having a very genuine and ver ...more
Rick Davis
Johnny Cash wrote a book about the Apostle Paul? Yes! And here's the rundown on The Man in White.

Johnny Cash was actually a capable writer. He clearly put a lot of research and time into his exploration of the pre-conversion life of Saul of Tarsus, and felt a strong personal connection to the apostle. He has great description of Paul's mystical experiences, and most of the characters in the book are well drawn.

On the other hand, I'm not very convinced of Cash's interpretation of Saul's character
Kevin Gabriël
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erg mooi geschreven.
Peter Ackerman
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this, and was happily surprised at this fact. It is a quick and full read, and Cash makes some interesting choices that added to my reading enjoyment of this novel. First, his fictional recounting of the biblical experience of Paul on the road to Damascus was extremely well done, and had within it some marvelous imagery.

Second, in a very creative turn, even for those who do not believe that some of the Apostles actually penned the Epistles to which their names are affixed, Cash has Paul,
Bob
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I would give this 4.5 stars if I could. I was completely surprised by this book. My wife got it for me for Christmas about 3 years ago, and I never read it (I didn't have high hopes for Johnny Cash writing biblical fiction). I finally picked it up last week and, I really am enjoying it.

Cash does an amazing job making the story 'feel' like the Bible and that time. He obviously did extensive Biblical and historical research, and it shows. This fictional account of the Apostle Paul is WELL worth pi
Matt
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Well researched. Johnny Cash is an excellent story teller in song, so it only figures that he can do the same in print. This story or the life of Saul/Paul really helped me to feel what it was like to walk in the actual time period and culture, without having to take little side-bars to explain it. Not that this is bad, but I just really like the way that Mr. Cash did it. Also a great companion book to the Jesus book that I am reading that takes the same approach. I wish someone ...more
Alex Stroshine
Feb 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Johnny Cash was and is one of the most prominent public faces of the Christian faith. I applaud him for writing this story of Paul's life, conversion and ministry. Cash pays careful attention to the historic circumstances he is writing in, particularly the geography, religious atmosphere and social relations at the time of Paul's life. I also like how the dialogue of certain figures (e.g. James) foreshadows what they write in their later letters to the Church. However, often the writing seems am ...more

• Read the Bible for Life: Your Guide to Understanding and Living God's Word
  • The Annotated Archy and Mehitabel
  • XML in a Nutshell
  • The Man Comes Around: The Spiritual Journey of Johnny Cash
  • Medea: Harlan's World
  • John Brown: His Fight for Freedom
  • The Essential Engineer: Why Science Alone Will Not Solve Our Global Problems
  • Hear No Evil: Marching in the Lord's Army, Fleeing the Devil, and Finding a Righteous Groove
  • The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)
  • Terminal Mind
  • The First Verse
  • 7 Deadly Scenarios: A Military Futurist Explores War in the 21st Century
  • Learning XML
  • The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation
Johnny Cash, born J. R. Cash, also known as "The Man in Black", was a multiple Grammy Award-winning American country singer-songwriter. Cash is widely considered to be one of the most influential American musicians of the 20th century.

Cash was known for his deep, distinctive voice, his trademark dark clothing which earned him his nickname, the boom-chick-a-boom or "freight train" sound of his Tenn