Start by marking “Man in White” as Want to Read:
Man in White

Man in White

Johnny Cash. The Apostle Paul. Passionate. Controversial. Fiery. Destructive. Redeemed.

Two legendary men. Two thousand years apart-yet remarkably similar.

Both struggled with a "thorn in the flesh." And both had powerful visions from God.

Paul's encounter with the Man in White knocked him to the ground and struck him blind. It also turned him into one of the most influential
Published August 8th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Man in White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man in White

Start your review of Man in White
Jeff
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When most people write their thoughts on something that came from the mind of Johnny Cash it is usually about his music. I love Johnny Cash's music, he is by far one of my favorite all time musicians.

However this is not the case with this blog. I just finished reading Johnny Cash's novel "The Man In White" which is about the conversion of the Apostle Paul. I was not sure if a country musician writing a novel about Paul would intrigue me or be accurate to history. I was so wrong.

This novel is fic
E
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've not heard of this book, the proper response should be, "Wait, Johnny Cash--that Johnny Cash--wrote a novel about the apostle Paul?" But that's not the surprising thing; the surprising thing is that it is actually really good! Naturally a songwriter like John R. Cash has a way with words, and he brings that skill to full effect here. But as is obvious from the foreword, he also did a ton of research into first-century Palestine. He also knows his Bible through and through. (You can also ...more
Dustin Tramel
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who knew that Johnny Cash had written a novel? I was very excited to find this in a charity shop. He's a great storyteller. It's historical fiction but I found the narrative compelling. It's made the apostle Paul become more human, more alive in my imagination. "Jesus Christ told us how to live. The apostle Paul showed us how the plan works. Christ told us how to die, unafraid, with an eternity of peace following, and Paul showed us how to prepare for it." p.xviii
TAB
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: america, 1980s
As I said in my review of Cain, I love it when an author dives into what isn't told in the Bible. Unlike Cain we are here at least in the realm of history and Johnny Cash certainly did his due diligence in terms of research before he wrote this novel. Having read his autobiography a couple times, I was well aware of how much he put into this novel, and I'm quite happy with myself that I finally got around to reading it.

One criticism might be that I think Cash doesn't spend enough time on Paul vs
Josiah
The Man in Black's take on the Apostle Paul, who was transformed by the Man in White! Though Cash is an amateur writer he does a great job presenting Saul of Tarsus as a real man we can relate to, including probable motivations, emotions, and thought processes. Saul's love for the Law is transferred to love for the Lord Jesus in moving passages. Especially well-written is a scene between Saul, James, Peter & Barnabus arguing over which requirements will be taught to the Gentile Christians. Thoug ...more
Karen Murano
This book is one of my all time favorites. I can't believe I own an original copy... my friend found one and bought it for me. I read it from a library years earlier and wished I had a copy.
Mr Cash really gives a fresh vantage point to the Apostle Paul, he brings out a man to admire not just a scholar and writer, but a man with a testimony. A man with a 180 life change that inspires us to this day, and this story of what it may have been like is not just a story, but thoroughly researched and p
Bonnie
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you can get your hands on this one, you've got to read it. I was SO pleasantly surprised....what a find!
Jordan
Jan 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: literature
If God has a voice, I fully expect it to sound like Johnny Cash. Every word he sang resonates passion and fairness and truth. So when he talks about faith, it's impossible not to feel a little spark of the divine, no matter how cynical and backslidden a Christian one may be. Anyone preaching behind a pulpit usually just ends up making me angry, but thirty seconds of a Cash gospel song still melts me into a puddle.

I wanted to feel the same thing reading this novel, but it just didn't happen. The
Tim Armstrong
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I only read this book because it was written by Johnny Cash. I have no interest in the Apostle Paul. Having said that, there were some surprisingly good portions of this book. I highly enjoyed the beginning with the trial and execution of Stephen. I also found Saul's conversion on the Damascus road to be interesting. However, there was also a lot of boring, tedious sections of this book, which made it hard for me to stay focused.

If you have a interest in the subject matter, the you'll probably
Thom Willis
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity, 2013
This book was an engaging and quick read. Cash surely knew his history and scripture before he wrote it. It doesn't really betray his Baptist loyalties either, and I think this book is a good read for any Christian interested in an admittedly fictional retelling of St Paul's conversion. Some of the dialogue was a bit awkward and unnatural, and the narrative could have benefited from a break from Saul's thought process. But the book does give you a good feel for the first century world.
Maurice Williams
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The famous rock singer Johnny Cash wrote this biography of Saint Paul. Johnny Cash almost destroyed his singing career and probably his life with addiction to drugs. Finally in mid-career, when he was about 36, he had a conversion experience and was able to come off drugs. From then on for the remaining 35 years of his life, he remained a devout Christian and many times bore witness to Christ even on the stage before large audiences.

Cash always felt uncomfortable with sectarian divisions within
Linda
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
What better person to be called into Christ's service! Saul/Paul was the most qualified to deliver the gospel of Christ, having been immersed in The Laws of the Old Testament. Knowing and obeying Scripture was his passion! He was a Pharisee above all Pharisees, making sure that everyone else knew and obeyed Scripture, as well. His conversion to New Testament Christianity gave him a new level of understanding of the message of the Old Testament that points to Christ.

Saul's encounter with Christ o
Darla
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a work of genius and I am so thankful to have discovered it thanks to Stephen Nichols of Tabletalk magazine and his Last Things column in the August, 2017 issue.

While classified as a work of fiction, this book is so much more than that. It was a labor of love for Cash and he dedicates it to his father Ray Cash. In the Introduction, Cash writes: "Perhaps a few of the things I have written, I humbly suggest, resulted from a tiny flicker from God's great storehouse of brilliance. I ded
Lily
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly well written, I enjoyed Johnny Cash's take on the life of Paul of the Bible. He covers the time Saul was actively persecuting what were called the Nazarenes at that time through the time Saul becomes Paul and travels to preach the gospel to the Gentiles. He concludes with a quick synoposis of the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem in AD 70.
There is so much scripture in this book, that it could be called a Bible excerpt with narration and study notes. Johnny fills in the life
Kathleen Payne
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A friend mentioned this book to our Pastor at church when he mentioned he was going to do a series on St Paul. I found a copy of the book and thoroughly enjoyed the read, cover to cover. It tells the story well of the conversion of Saul on the road to Damascus. It continues to tell the story of the early days of the church, 'the people of the Way', 'the followers of the Nazarene' and finally, 'the early Christians'. Once they were banished from the Jewish synagogues, they started to meet secretl ...more
Gloria
Johnny Cash writes a novel about Saul of Tarsus. He researched the context/culture/times that Saul was in. Cash portrays Saul as a man wholly devoted to God, even before meeting the "Man in White" on the road to Damascus.

The disagreements between the apostles (through their letters) is portrayed through a conversation between Paul, James, Peter, and Barnabus.

There are a number of dreams and visions that Saul had, mostly artistic license, though they did fit within the story very well.
Eliza
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Excellent read, highly recommend! I was really surprised at Johnny Cash's ability as an author, as well as his incredible attention to detail. You can tell that this is a subject that he had a great deal of respect for, and he has handled it with the care and consideration it deserves. I would highly recommend reading this book in conjunction with the Book of Acts in the Bible, as this novel really helped add depth to my reading of Acts.
I am looking forward to reading The Man in Black to learn m
Patrick O'Hannigan
This is a surprisingly good first-and-only novel about Saint Paul from the legendary singer and songwriter, who learned all he could about Jewish life during and soon after the time of Jesus over the course of many years. For the sake of alleviating any confusion, it should be noted that the book's titular "Man in White" is Jesus, and (more specifically) Jesus as Paul famously encounters him on the ancient road between Jerusalem and Damascus.
Kelly Fowler
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This is rapidly becoming one of my favorites...so much detail and research had to go into this novel! I absolutely love it. If you have a hunger to understand Paul's journey to Christ, this will add a new element to thoughts on the topic. Loved the dreams and visions in this novel along with the proposed thoughts and journey Johnny came up with for the Apostle Paul. I enjoyed the historical biblical aspects of this novel.
Paul
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A realistic novel depicting the life of St Paul from a few days prior to and a few weeks after his conversion on the road to Damascus. Detailed, believable and easy to read.
Who knew that Johnny Cash could write? I mean, we knew he could write songs and sing them. But books?
I think it was a labor of love. And well worth it.
Faye Hamilton
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this book years ago, but when I think back on books I really enjoyed this one comes to mind. Honestly Paul has never been one of my favorite biblical writers and Mr Cash created a story so honoring of the known facts and traditions surrounding Paul, that by the time the story ended, I decided I liked Paul. It is a great book with characters that stay with you.
Josh Childs
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
A fairly plainsong novelization of the conversion of the apostle Paul, most notable for who wrote it. Cash obviously did his history homework, bringing some depth and meaning to the mores and happenings of the day. The forward is worth the purchase price, framing this novel as a passion project by a man knew what it was like to have his life so fully altered by the Man in White.
Carl  Palmateer
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read, well done but my favorite part was the preface. Very real and personable. The book itself is a semi fictionalized life of Paul. It is a far more manageable size than something like "Great Lion of God".
Jonathan
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really interesting and inspiring fictionalized novel about the Apostle Paul. Multiple times it brought tears to my eyes. The story of his vision of Jesus and the immediate aftermath was powerful. It dragged a little toward the end, but still with the read.
Courtney
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The introduction was the best part. The story was mildly interesting and written from a Protestant point of view. Some of the historical liturgical details are incorrect. The story drags a bit and overall I'd recommend skipping it.
Cathy Houston
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cathy by: catwoho@aol.com
one legend writes about another; interesting view point
victoria
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5; had no idea Johnny Cash wrote a novel. and about Paul!!! what a pleasant surprise.
Zach Zook
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Interesting read, a bit belabored to get through - slow start, but speeds up the farther you get through it. However, very interesting for someone who enjoys Johnny Cash.
Kelly
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve always known Cash’s abilities as a songwriter and storyteller, and I can’t help but think both contributed to this fantastic book about the Apostle Paul.
ray dockins
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christian

• Johnny Cash: The Redemption of an American Icon
  • Escape from the Great Earthquake (Ranger in Time #6)
  • Bicycle Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #15)
  • Space Dogs: The Story of the Celebrated Canine Cosmonauts
  • Tree House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #14)
  • Journey through Ash and Smoke (Ranger in Time #5)
  • Bogart '48
  • Innovation with Purpose: Lockheed Martin's First 100 Years
  • Eddie: The Life and Times of America's Preeminent Bad Boy
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • Mystery in the Sand (The Boxcar Children, #16)
  • Mystery Behind the Wall (The Boxcar Children, #17)
  • Soviet Space Dogs
  • Snowbound Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #13)
  • Race to the South Pole (Ranger in Time, #4)
  • The Clippie Girls
  • Little Women
  • Hunting Monsters: Cryptozoology and the Reality Behind the Myths
Johnny Cash, born J. R. Cash, also known as "The Man in Black", was a multiple Grammy Award-winning American country singer-songwriter. Cash is widely considered to be one of the most influential American musicians of the 20th century.

Cash was known for his deep, distinctive voice, his trademark dark clothing which earned him his nickname, the boom-chick-a-boom or "freight train" sound of his Tenn

News & Interviews