Start by marking “Stolen Legacy: Greek Philosophy is Stolen Egyptian Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Stolen Legacy: Greek Philosophy is Stolen Egyptian Philosophy

Stolen Legacy: Greek Philosophy is Stolen Egyptian Philosophy

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  750 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The book is an attempt to show that the true authors of Greek Philosophy were not Greeks, but the people of North Africa, commonly called the Egyptians; and the praise and honor falsely given to Greeks for centuries belong to the people of North Africa. Consequently, this theft of the African legacy led to the erroneous world opinion that the African continent has made no ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by United Brothers & Sisters (first published June 1st 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Stolen Legacy, please sign up.

Shara I think the point is that we have always been taught that civilization, refined culture, mathematics, astrology and philosophy originated in Greece…moreI think the point is that we have always been taught that civilization, refined culture, mathematics, astrology and philosophy originated in Greece when many of their ideas are based on African concepts. This book is flawed and inaccurate in many places but I think the main point still stands.
This shouldn't take away from the accomplishments of the Greeks but credit should be given where credit is due. If you research Kemet/Kush you will clearly see that many Greek concepts originated on the continent of Africa. I don't think the Egyptians were a homogenous society any way. Are you trying to say that the descendants of Egyptians were not Africans?

Another note: Kemet/Egypt is not the only great African civilization that pre-dates Greek society. (less)

Ahmad  Ebaid
Dec 03, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"تصادفت إن تحدثت ذات مرة مع أحد الأوروبيين عن هل فعلا فيثاغورث هو مكتشف القاعدة الشهيرة للمثلث ألقائم .. فرد باجابة قطعية "نعم" قلت ولكن هذه القاعدة وأعقد منها قد استخدمها أهل كيميت (المصريين القدماء ) في ابنيتهم الخالدة كمعابد أو الأهرامات قبل فيثاغورث بثلاث الآف سنة علي الأقل .. رد فعله كان زي رد فعل شفيق " إيه- what" .. ثم نصحته بكتاب في اللينك التالي يتتبع إنتحال لافكار المصريين القدماء و إطلاق أسماء علي هذه الأفكار كارسطو و أفلاطون"
د.أحمد فرج علي
Gary
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the most amazing books in existence & is vital to psyche of the young black male. It honors the contributions of a civilization that has brought more to the modern world than many realize.
Dope Dealer
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
George G.M. James opened my eyes to the reality of altered history. Murderers of yore tell histories tales because their victims aren't alive to dispute. Of course there were very harsh criticisms of this work fueled by the need to protect "proven discoveries," hatred, and downright arrogance. I've done my own studies and found authenticity in this title. -but hey, you don't have to take my word for it!
Omowale Jabali
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uo7-work-study
This book is a classic text which I found very useful as a companion in researching the spiritual systems of ancient Nubia and Khemit ie Egypt. It also reveals the concepts which gave rise to Freemasonry and subsequent spiritual systems with his explanation of the nine, inseparable parts of the soul.
Adrienne Stapleton
Was shocking to read at first and wondered how much was true. A much more detailed account of how Egypt borrowed from Ethiopia can be found in The Destruction of Black Civilization.
Yonnibardavi
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most striking question the author leaves in my mind "why have we not read about the great Greek thinkers in the Eastern lands? The Greeks have written about the great civilizations of the east, but the Great civilizations did not write about the Greeks and all their knowledge and learning.

Wonder why.

Porsha Dixon
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I initially read this book, I intended to write my senior thesis on African/Greek philosophers and stolen history; However, after finding interest in a different subject (Urban Planning in Metro LA for those interested), I decided to put my work on political philosophy on a back burner. During my undergraduate years my major was Political Science and I wanted to focus on the philosophical aspect for my political science senior thesis. I briefly discussed prominent philosophers such as Arist ...more
Brittany Massey
I do not agree with what the author was trying to do here. Claiming his ancestors in Egypt have rights to being a superior race and being the originators of anything the ancient Greeks have done in the areas of science and liberal arts. Believing one race to be superior to another is flawed thinking to begin with, not to mention his vague facts with no real scientific process. Correlation does not necessarily mean causation. Just filled with conjecture and bitterness.

This whole idea needs more
Brandon White
Important information was given in this book, but it was often redundant, and the writing style made it hard to follow. Considering the books mission and revelations, I'd still recommend it to others.
Fatir
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book mainly is about history. Its about the rise of philosophy. Its about many great people like Aristotle and Galileo. Also about Egypt lost treasures.
Alisa
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! Very insightful! Speaks the truth!
Andrew
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Another book which I read some twenty years ago. Time for a re-read and review.
Arwa AlSmaeel
لم أقرأ كل صفحات الكتاب ، وأظن أن قراءة بعضه تغني عن البقية لتشابه البراهين في مجملها
Chimezie Ogbuji
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read for anyone who is truly interested in the anthropological origins of institutionalized racism and in the superiority / inferiority complexes underlying the fact that we take for granted that it is appropriate and fairly harmless in labeling African nations as part of the 'developing' world. As the author states in his final chapter, this book was meant to be part of standard higher education curricula. As such, the author's approach is very rigid and scholarly, which is ...more
John
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
World conditions have been influenced to our modern times; giving false praise to the Greeks: a custom which appears to be an educational policy conducted by educational institutions, these institutions have also organized what are known as Greek lettered fraternities & sororities, as symbols of the superiority of Greek intellect & culture. Black people's culture has been caricatured in literature & exhibitions, in such specimens as provoke disrespect & laughter. Never let us for ...more
Joe
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It all started in African. Kemet (egypt)
Everything.

The Greeks studied, burrowed, and invaded with Alexander the Great, turned the sacred temples and schools into "libraries" reworte everything, put their names on it and sold it.

pythagorous
socrates
plato
the romans and moses

all thievery.

all explained in the book
Khalifah
Nov 10, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Khalifah by: Prof. John Henrike Clarke
George G. M. James is one of the most important scholars Black America has yet produced. His is, perhaps, the most quoted book by more esteemed Black historians - like Prof. John H. Clarke - than any other book.
Shila
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can find many truths in the pages of this book. In life, we need the truth. No matter how much we want to hide, we need it.
Kevin Gee
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very informative
Jimmy
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stolen Legacy is a very interesting and provocative book that challenges, explains and focuses on how and why Greeks stole the teachings of ancient Kemet (Egypt).
Nathan Smith
The title says it all!
Katherine
Stolen Legacy is a captivating history! This paper reminded me how little I have been taught about African history and inspired me to pursue more. I wish everyone learned the African roots of civilization and regarded people of African descent with the respect they (we) deserve.

I would only hesitate to recommend this because he assumes a lot of background knowledge in philosophy and structures the arguments/chapters illogically at least in this edition (claiming to have proved points he has not
Ahmad Hossam
Jan 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
الفكرة التي يطرحها الكتاب واضحة من العنوان؛ التراث الفلسفي اليوناني هو تراث مسروق من مصر القديمة.

المبدأ ليس غريبًا، فكلما سطع نجم حضارة عنصرية قائمة على تفوق جماعة بشرية دون غيرها يعمد أفراد تلك الجماعة إلى نفي تأثرهم بغيرهم، بل وربما نسبوا ما تعلموه إلى أنفسهم. أبرز مثال على ذلك هو سرقة إنجازات الحضارة الإسلامية ومؤلفاتها في عصر النهضة الأوروبية.

أما الحضارة اليونانية فهي عنصرية بامتياز، لم يسلم غيرهم من الاتهام بالهمجية، تخبرنا النظرية السائدة أن اليونان ابتدعت الفلسفة والمنطق ابتداعًا دون الحض
Aaron
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truer words were never spoken.

I grew up listening to my dad talk about Plato and Aristotle, listened to him say how gifted white kids are and watched him kiss white peoples ass. It always irritated me. Than I grew older went to Japan and wonder why are Japanese people treating like I'm less of a person because of the color of my skin but treat white people so nicely. No one my color ever dropped a nuclear bomb on them. That sent me into the hell and calculated hate of global white supremacy sear
Brandon
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Femi Kush
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply great!
Malloreon
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, africa, black
WOW! A must read and a real eye opener!
Mistress Simbala
Dec 30, 2016
Books as a tool of misinformation 1 1 Jul 22, 2017 06:55AM
  • The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality
  • They Came Before Columbus: The African Presence in Ancient America
  • Destruction of Black Civilization: Great Issues of a Race From 4500 B.C. To 2000 A.D.
  • Ancient Egypt: The Light of the World
  • Christopher Columbus and the Afrikan Holocaust: Slavery and the Rise of European Capitalism
  • Blueprint for Black Power: A Moral, Political, and Economic Imperative for the Twenty-First Century
  • Black Genesis: The Prehistoric Origins of Ancient Egypt
  • Black Athena: Afroasiatic Roots of Classical Civilization, Vol. 1: The Fabrication of Ancient Greece, 1785-1985
  • African Origins of the Major "Western Religions"
  • When We Ruled: The Ancient and Medieval History of Black Civilisations
  • The Rape of the Nile: Tomb Robbers, Tourists, and Archaeologists in Egypt
  • Yurugu: An African-centered Critique of European Cultural Thought and Behavior
  • The N Word: Who Can Say It, Who Shouldn't, and Why
  • World's Great Men of Color, Volume I
  • Message to the Blackman in America
  • The Isis Papers: The Keys to the Colors
  • African Presence in Early Asia
  • An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, Vol. 1
James was born in Georgetown, Guyana, South America. His parents were Reverend Linch B. and Margaret E. James. George studied at Durham University in Britain and after a period at the University of London he gained his doctorate at Columbia University in New York. He then qualified to teach mathematics, Latin, and Greek. Later he was Professor of Logic and Greek at Livingstone College in Salisbury ...more
More about George G.M. James...

“The term Greek philosophy, to begin with is a misnomer, for there is no such philosophy in existence. The ancient Egyptians had developed a very complex religious system, called the Mysteries, which was also the first system of salvation.   As such, it regarded the human body as a prison house of the soul, which could be liberated from its bodily impediments, through the disciplines of the Arts and Sciences, and advanced from the level of a mortal to that of a God.” 2 likes
“This unfortunate position of the African Continent and its peoples appears to be the result of misrepresentation upon which the structure of race prejudice has been built, i.e. the historical world opinion that the African Continent is backward, that its people are backward, and that their civilization is also backward.” 1 likes