Start by marking “The Sandcastle Contest” as Want to Read:
The Sandcastle Contest

The Sandcastle Contest

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  466 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Bestselling team Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko create another wacky adventure about a boy named Matthew who makes a sandcastle so real, that every

While on vacation. Matthew is excited to take part in the local sandcastle contest. The winner gets a bathtub filled with ice cream!

But Matthew is just too good at building sand castles. The judges all think the house he b
Published July 1st 2005 by Cartwheel Books (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandcastle Contest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sandcastle Contest

Tatiana
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
It's difficult for me to admit, but this is not Robert Munsch's finest. I picked up The Sandcastle Contest at a book sale because I always buy Munsch's works, even though I couldn't recall the title from my youth. At least I haven't been missing much.

Unlike Stephanie's Ponytail or Mmm, Cookies!, with their clear plot lines, this story of a boy who enters a sandcastle-building contest while on vacation starts in one direction and then veers wide, until by the end, I'm left thinking, What was the
Elizabeth Miller
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-689
This funny book tells about a sand castle contest being held at a beach where the winner gets a bathtub of ice cream. Matthew builds a sand house. But it was so realistic that the judges do not believe him, that is until he gives it a kick, and it crumbles. Fun book to read and can relate to sand explorations in science.
Kelly
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Random in parts. The essential theme is there, but it's as if Munsch just added random crap to make a story.
Joe Padon
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Munsch, R. (2005). The Sand Castle Contest. Toronto, ON: Scholastic.

Matthew’s family is taking a vacation to the beach. As they are about to leave, Matthew suggests they get a dog for the trip. His father denied his request and they set off on their journey. As they reached the beach, Matthew noticed a sand castle and a sand dog. When he found out it was for a sand castle contest for a bathtub full of ice cream, Matthew set out to build the best sand castle on the beach. The problem was that his
Karina Gillies
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my daughter and I think I loved it more than she did. In Munsch's newest tale, he proves once again that he has the persistent ability to provoke emotions and spark imagination in just a few short pages. Perhaps it has something to do with my own childhood of growing up reading his books, or perhaps Munsch has found a way to steal some of the magic that childhood entails and preserve it within his stories. Either way, Munsch's witty story lines paired with Michael Martchenko' ...more
Slayermel
Feb 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of young chidren and Preschool Teachers
This is the story of Matthew who goes on a trip with his family and enters a sand castle building contest on the Beach. Matthew Builds an amazingly realistic Sandcastle house and has a very hard time convincing the judges of the contest that the house is made of sand, and is not actually a real house. Why do grownups not listen? :0)
Now if only Matthew could build a sand dog to take home
This is a very cute story; I love how frustrated Matthew gets with the judges. He reminded me so much of a coup
Richelle
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love love love loved this one.. what little kid doesn't dream about making the most extravagant sand castle.. or in this case a sand house! I loved the fact about the kids wanting dogs so badly that they made them
out of sand! every child deserves to have a dog! I loved all the amazing creations that he made out of sand: sand bed, sand tv, sand couch, sand refrigerator stocked full
of sand food! no one believed that the kid could build such a life like sand house.. then he does some thing to pro
Christie Tulloch
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Sandcastle Contest is my absolute favourite children's book written by Robert Munsch. A young girl wishes to enter a sandcastle contest on the beach while her family is on summer vacation. The girl is very determined to build a huge sandcastle. She wins easily with her sand bed, TV, dog, and more. The judges couldn't believe their eyes! Sandcastle Contest was a very fun book to read. I loved it!
Aleece
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Matthew enters a sand castle building competition and builds a sand "house" however when the judges come by they believe it is a real house and in order to prove that it is made out of sand he has to destroy it. Kalita also made a dog out of sand that acted like a real dog. While this book takes place in a realistic setting there is no sense that there should be magic there so it made it a little unbelievable and just an ok book.
Dolly
Feb 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Cute story about a boy who wants to bring everything on a camping trip, especially a dog that he doesn't yet own. He enters a sand castle contest and builds a realistic house and wins a prize, but knows that his friend, who made a dog out of sand, is a genius. Odd, but a cute story for children. And the illustrations are fun, too.
Miss Sarah
May 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
a family goes to the beach where the boy builds a sand castle so good it looks like a real house. Dogs made out of sand that come to life also feature. To strange for storytime and a little too long but a kid who likes silly stories will like this.
Jillian
Jun 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-books
Really, really odd. The story just goes on and on with no point. Weird and the pictures are bright but almost as odd as the stories. Not our favorite but we're still thankful to our kiddo's preschool teacher for giving it to him as a out-for-the-summer book. :)
Shaley Dunn
This book is very cute. The boy starts to build sand castles for a contest. The judges end up thinking that the sand castle he built was a real house. I love it because this boy set his mind to something and didnt give up.
Cindi
Dec 11, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
This was a silly, disjointed story that didn't have much purpose at all. Don't bother! I'm not even going to read it to my kids. My oldest son read it and said it was strange too.
Lala Estrella
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this book at work one day. The story of Matthew and his sandhouse was very cute! I also love the illustrations.
Child960801
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A story about a boy who builds a sand house for the sand contest that is so realistic the judges won't believe it isn't real.
Melissa Namba
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coplin, dnamba
Like his other books, this one is strange. He builds a sand house that the judges believe is real. I put my dog down this week. She was old. I wish I could make a sand dog of her and get her back...
Mark Nenadov
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, munsch
Excellent.
Mellanie C
Aug 27, 2016 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Tanya
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Imagination gone wild.
Bree
Notes:
kids couldn't decide if it was magic sand or not
enjoyed reading this one several times
Ashley
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A good story of friendship, of creative thinking, of imagination, and of sharing. Great for young readers who love Munsch, and whose parents like to choose books with lots of great morals!
Devin
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
A short book that was a gift from my teacher. Pretty funny.
PWRL
Jul 05, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Kate
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Ok, kind of fun leading in to summer. A bit odd but in a way that may work for the more whimsical children.
Faery
Jun 16, 2014
Nathalie Prud'Homme
Jan 25, 2017
  • Red Is Best
  • You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
  • The Magic School Bus Gets All Dried Up: A Book About Deserts (Magic School Bus)
  • Froggy's Day with Dad
  • Five Green and Speckled Frogs (Sing and Read Storybook)
  • Valentine Mice!
  • Stella, Queen of the Snow (Stella)
  • Bright Stanley
  • Little Quack's Hide and Seek
  • The Luckiest St. Patrick's Day Ever
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • The Night Before Summer Vacation
Robert Munsch was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Fordham University in 1969 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in history and from Boston University in 1971 with a Master of Arts degree in anthropology.

He studied to become a Jesuit priest, but decided he would rather work with children after jobs at orphanages and daycare centers. In 1973, he received a Master of Education in Chil
More about Robert Munsch

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This