Start by marking “The New English Bible with the Apocrypha” as Want to Read:

Introduction to the Apocrypha
The New Testament
Introduction to the New Testament
Texts
Published June 24th 1976 by Oxford University Press/Cambridge University Press (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The New English Bible with the Apocrypha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New English Bible with the Apocrypha

Wyatt Houtz
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this entire book, except for the apocrypha, because it wasn't part of my bible reading plan. I may return to read it another year. The translation is helpful, as it is a fresh translation that is not worded the same way as the KJV/RSV/ESV line of translations. However, I didn't find that the translations were superior to those traditional bibles, maybe out of my own snobbery. The book is very readable, however the edition I used was very thick and had very minimal references and notes on ...more
Sharman Wilson
I'm reading the Old Testament straight through for the fourth time. Right now, I'm on Psalm 51. I'm always amazed at the richness of this book--the beautiful and the horrific, the inspiring and the intolerable, the flawed heroes and the sympathetic non-believers.

As of November 21, I'm up to Isaiah 46. Both God's frustration and His love for His people is palpable! I'm really into the wonderful metaphors of Hebrew poetry--so gritty and evocative!

Dec. 4: Finished chapter 4 of Jeremiah.

Dec. 28: u
Daniel Jansky
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the New Testament and just finished the Apocrypha.
Benjamin
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This is an odd translation. Its stated purpose is "that a translation of the Bible be made in the language of the present day." The work was begun in 1946. This edition was published in 1970. It was done under the auspices of nine British denominations and two Bible societies. Much of the translation is certainly "present-day English" of a decidedly British type. But in other ways, the aura of the KJV remains. "Thee" and"thou" and "thine" remain in the language of prayer. One suspects that this ...more
Erik Graff
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anglicans, exegetes
Recommended to Erik by: Dennis Haas
Shelves: religion
I picked up a copy of The New English Bible for the two semester bible sequence taught by Grinnell College's chaplain, Dennis Haas, along with the Revised Standard Version, the King James, the Masoretic Text and The Jerusalem Bible. For class we referred to the RSV, but, because of its superior notes and marginalia, I actually read The Jerusalem at home from cover to cover. The others were for purposes of comparison and exegetical writing exercises.

The New English has poor notes, but some may li
Angela Dawn
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite Bible is still the KJV because it seems more poetic. This Bible has some interesting wording that sometimes made me have to look up the interpretation from the Greek or Hebrew. Oddly enough, it was spot on, but it is different than some of the wording in other Bibles. This was also my first time to read the Apocrypha--very interesting. The Maccabees were especially interesting this time because it deals with some of the history of what went on in Jerusalem between the end of the Old ...more
Judith
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a modern attempt to re-translate the bible from original sources, including more recently uncovered sources such as the Dead Sea Scrolls, into more modern (not slang) English. The work was directed by representatives of various Churches of Great Britain and Ireland. The book is informative & easy to read, illuminating many areas of the scriptures; it is delightful to see how their translations parallel the passages of Joseph Smith's Inspired Translation. This book is a great asset to ...more
Marsha Hudgens
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I would have given it five stars if not for the ancient english used in the Old Testament when people were talking to God. Can't imagine the reasoning behind that. I've had this translation for a long time, but never read it all the way through. The Bible in any translation is fascinating reading with good stories to please any taste. Each time I read it through, I find a lot things I didn't see before.
Lawyer
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lawyer by: I came across this translation shortly after it was published on
Shelves: religion
Prior to the publication of The New English Bible, I had only had the King James Translation available to me. This translation retains the beauty of the language of the King James Version with the clarity of modern English. The book of Psalms is particularly wonderful in its lyricism. Of all the translations I have read, this remains my particular favorite because of its literary merit as well as its spirituality.
Alethea Hammer

The Bible is one of the two books that I am always 'currently reading'. This is the only one I'm listing on my shelf of 'all time favorites', because it is my all time favorite translation. It has an easy readable style with natural paragraphs rather than chopped up in verses which sometimes interrupt the flow of thought. The verse & chapter numbers are located in the side margins. I'm listing the first date I ever read this particular translation.
Jaclynn
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
I just read the Apocrypha...I was glad I did! It was really interesting and an addition of Biblical time history and wisdom, plus several other shorter stories on various people who lived upright lives that glorified God.
Melissa
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I must add this to my favoites. I nearly overlooked it as such. I find it more of a handbook for life than a favorite book. For me, it has it all...history, philosophy, poetry, self-help, children's... I can, and do, read and reread and always find and joy and promise.
Becky
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have the introduction to The New Lifetime Reading Plan to thank for giving me the conation to read this book finally; they basically said, if I have to tell you to read the Bible, why are you bothering to read the great books?
Joe
Nov 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Accurate easy to read translation
Bookwyrm
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: religion
Found this version almost by accident. I feel it is a good merging of KJV poetry and modern.
Michael
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Only read the Apocrypha and New Testament portions of this translation . . . Much to say . . . More to come . . .
Robert Owens
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the Bible I used at St. Andrew's during my adolescence.
Paul
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
My favorite edition of the Bible; I've read it twice now. It is not a paraphrase but a modern translation.
Gary