Start by marking “A Tapestry of Murders (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #2)” as Want to Read:

A Tapestry of Murders (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury #2)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In August 1358, the Dowager Queen Isabella, mother of King Edward III, lies dying. When death comes, she is buried next to her lover Roger Mortimer in Greyfriars, but violence continues and Nicholas Chirke, an honest young lawyer, is called in to investigate the strange events following her death.
Published 1994 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about A Tapestry of Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tapestry of Murders

Hristina Ivanova
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, historical
This novel might as well be crowned my favourite out of all books by Doherty I've read. Very intense and intriguing.The storyline is elaborate, you never know what's going to happen next(nor did you realize who was the 'big boss' until the very end.)Very well written,true ,as always, to the historical facts, and still super interesting.
Janet Windeguth
Historical mystery is one of my favorite genres, and I’m so pleased I’ve found a new-to-me author with real talent. A complete 180 from the first book in the series, this title reads very similarly to Edward Marsten’s Nicholas Bracewell series.
Batya
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
These retold Canterbury Tales are awesome!
Robin
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Set in the reign of either Henry IV or Richard II, this is easy reading, but it demands little from the reader except to go along on the ride. It is based on the 2nd of the Canterbury Tales.
David Ryan
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This is my second book in this series - they are a good one day read ( if you have a beach day!). I like the back and forth between the pilgrims - and am looking forward to hearing more from them! Side note - My local library system only had the first book, but they were able to get a loan for me from another Maryland Library - appreciate that!
Lisa
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found this book rather tedious and sometimes confusing. Based on the other reviews, the problem must be with me. :)
Ivaelo Slavov
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Пол Дохърти – „Пазителят на портите“
Продължава с поредицата „Кентърбърийски загадки“ на Дохърти.
Ред е на Правникът да разкаже своята тъмна история. За разлика от първата книга, където е наблегнато повече на ужаса и свръхестественото, втората книга си е средновековно крими. Дохърти ни хвърля насред Лондон през 14 век, когато властва Едуард III. Младият адвокат Никълъс Чърк започва да разследва убийството на известен съдия. Но вместо отговорите, героите затъват все по-дълбоко, а убийствата стават
Tarmia
I enjoyed this book a lot, however it did not grip me as much as the first one. I am looking forward to reading the rest in the series. Doherty is a fantastic writer and is able to sculpt a unique perspective, one both luxurious and decrepit of medieval England and his characters are engaging and complex.
Kalendra Dee
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this second novel of the Canterbury Tales series, the Lawyer takes up the challenge and begins his chilling tale. His story begins with the death Queen Isabella, the despised wife of the former king, Edward II. After her burial, her squire attempts to board a boat to France, only to be cut down and left to die. A young lawyer, Nicholas Chirke is hired to investigate why the squire was attempting to flee and what, if anything, he was carrying with him. Before long, Chirke runs afoul of assassi ...more
Elizabeth Hunter
This was less supernatural than the first one, more of an actual mystery. The period detail is good and the characters interesting.
K.l.
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting -and horrifying - take on the final days of Queen Isabella... can only hope that this was all in the authors mind, but knowing that he is a historian...
Barbara
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well told, with discription of how horribly smelly the time of history was,,,,
Jon Allor
Mar 31, 2014
R0ksi
Nov 26, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Masterly Murder (Matthew Bartholomew, #6)
  • The Plymouth Cloak (Roger the Chapman, #2)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3)
  • Brother Cadfael: A Morbid Taste for Bones/One Corpse Too Many/Monk's Hood
  • Serpent in the Thorns (Crispin Guest, #2)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • The Bone-Pedlar (Sir Richard Straccan, #1)

He has been published under several pseudonyms: P.C. Doherty, Celia L. Grace, Paul Harding, Ann Dukthas, Vanessa Alexander, Michael Clynes and Anna Apostolou but now writes only under his own name.

Paul Doherty was born in Middlesbrough (North-Eastern England) in 1946. He had
More about Paul Doherty...

Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury (7 books)
  • An Ancient Evil (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #1)
  • A Tournament of Murders (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #3)
  • Ghostly Murders (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #4)
  • The Hangman's Hymn (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #5)
  • A Haunt of Murder (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #6)
  • Midnight Man