Start by marking “Spy in Chancery (Hugh Corbett, #3)” as Want to Read:
Spy in Chancery (Hugh Corbett, #3)

Spy in Chancery (Hugh Corbett #3)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  422 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Edward I of England and Philip IV of France are at war. Philip, by devious means, has managed to seize control of the English duchy of Aquitaine in France, and is now determined to crush Edward. King Edward suspects that his enemy is being aided by a spy in the English court and commissions his chancery clerk, Hugh Corbett, to trace and, if possible, destroy the traitor. C ...more
Published July 4th 1991 by Headline (first published October 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Spy in Chancery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spy in Chancery

Andrew Doohan
This third edition of the Hugh Corbett series sees our eponymous hero thrust from his quiet life as a clerk of the Chancery of Edward of England (he'd been promoted since the events of the previous adventure) into the lofty realms of political and diplomatic intrigue, treason and betrayal, and affairs of the heart.

The tensions between Edward I of England and Philip IV of France have escalated to just short of general war, and the situation is made significantly worse because of the discovery of
Joan
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Corbett is trying to find the spy and traitor in the council of King Edward I. It's an interesting story and Doherty keeps the intrigue going until the very end. Unfortunately, it is not very well written.
Jessica
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I usually love mysteries set during this time period, however the first half of the book was filled with so many distracting grammatical errors (mostly punctuation) I kept being dragged out of the story trying to figure out what the author was actually trying to say.

Like a knife that cuts both ways, the redeeming quality of this book is that it is based on an actual historical event. This was also a handicap as it seemed the author felt their task was to gradually reveal all of the facts dressed
Kalendra Dee
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Edward I is convinced that Philip IV of France is plotting insurrection in Scotland and Wales against the English throne. Since Philip seems to know the secret decisions made by Edward almost as soon as he makes them, Edward is sure that Philip has planted an informant and traitor in his council. Dispatching agents to Paris, Edward is dismayed when their lifeless bodies are discovered. He commissions Hugh Corbett to take their place and find the traitor before he loses Wales and Scotland to the ...more
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
An easy read over Christmas was Spy in Chancery by Paul Doherty. This is another book in the Hugh Corbett series of medieval mysteries, and I really enjoyed it.

I was thrilled to notice that Paul Doherty has a new book out this month, and it's going to take a LOT of self discipline not to skip the next 8 or so books in the series to get to the new one...
John Lee
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another well researched and enjoyable read. The background description of life during that period is very good and as high up the social ladder as Hugh is, there are still many hardships. Life at that time for us mere peasants would have been unbearable.
Winnie
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Paul Doherty is such a prolific author that you can't quite believe the standard of his books can stsy so high - yet another great read.
Hristina Ivanova
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Another short story, but still very interesting and full of suspense. Doherty never fails to impress me.
Dominic McLoughlin
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Given his doctorate in the subject, Paul Doherty knows the early fourteenth century extremely well - an enjoyable read!
James Saunders
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spy in Chancery

I believe that Paul Doherty is one of the best authors. I have enjoyed every one of the books that I have read. I have really enjoyed this book.
John Reas
Feb 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Spy thriller during the reign of Edward. Doherty does a pretty good job of bringing the middle ages to life in his novels.
Zory
David Barnett
Mar 08, 2016
Heather Cleary
Dec 07, 2014
  • The Monk Who Vanished (Sister Fidelma, #7)
  • A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6)
  • A Maze of Murders (Kathryn Swinbrooke, #6)
  • The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1)
  • The Weaver's Inheritance (Roger the Chapman, #8)
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • Historical Whodunits
  • A Masterly Murder (Matthew Bartholomew, #6)

He has been published under several pseudonyms: P.C. Doherty, Celia L. Grace, Paul Harding, Ann Dukthas, Vanessa Alexander, Michael Clynes and Anna Apostolou but now writes only under his own name.

Paul Doherty was born in Middlesbrough (North-Eastern England) in 1946. He had
More about Paul Doherty...

Hugh Corbett (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Satan in St Mary's (Hugh Corbett, #1)
  • The Crown in Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #2)
  • The Angel of Death (Hugh Corbett, #4)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • Murder Wears a Cowl (Hugh Corbett, #6)
  • The Assassin in the Greenwood (Hugh Corbett, #7)
  • The Song of a Dark Angel (Hugh Corbett, #8)
  • Satan's Fire (Hugh Corbett, #9)
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • The Demon Archer (Hugh Corbett, #11)