Start by marking “The Tall Book of Make-Believe” as Want to Read:
The Tall Book of Make-Believe

The Tall Book of Make-Believe

4.91  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
This is a book of select fairy tales from the 1920's, 1930's & 1940's.
Hardcover
Published March 1st 1992 by Harper and Brothers (first published 2)

To ask other readers questions about The Tall Book of Make-Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tall Book of Make-Believe

Kara
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I finally got this book, after hunting for a copy for years, stopping at thrift stores and estate sales on the way home, searching, searching, searching. It was my 31st birthday present, from Ebay, and cost almost $100. Yep, I'm 31, and I asked my husband for a children's book as a birthday gift! But, boy, is it a beautiful book, and every bit as whimsical, magical, and creepy as I hoped it would be. I don't know if this book will ever be republished, so I'm happy to have a copy to read to my as ...more
Lisa Preston
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites from childhood. My mom still has it and reads it to her grandchildren now. Thought it would be nice to have a copy of my own and was shocked to see that it is out of print and copies are going for hundreds of dollars. Wish they would print this again...great collection of classic stories and poems.
Mary
One of my very favorite books from childhood. The scene with the children eating from candy-laden trees was indelibly impressed upon my memory. Tattered and missing its cover, this book is loved.
Jennifer Heise
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beekman
I adore this book,even as an adult. It has some lovely poetry, and some laugh-out-loud stories such as "The Very Mischief" by Lesley Frost, and "How they bring back the village of cream puffs when the wind blows it away," by Carl Sandburg, as well as the adorable "Susan's Bears." The poems I liked best were "Moon Song" and "The little house." The story "Bad Mousie" is a bit scary for the younger set, but who can resist Garth Williams' illustrations?
I now read bits of it to the five year old, and
Paul
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Something made me remember Wing Tip the Spick and Village of Cream Puffs, a story by Carl Sandburg. (I'm sure this book would be banned now!) My girl friend looked at me like I was on hallucinogens! I got my copy from an older cousin many years ago. Still have all the pages although the cover has come off. Great drawings. All of the stories are a little weird, surreal, spooky, but I can still recite most of it from memory. Remains an awesome book.
Katie
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The number one best story book for kids. This book has been passed down from my grandparents and was read to us when we were kids. It's a classic in my family. It's out-of-print, so it's hard to find, and copies that are left are very expensive, selling for around 400 dollars. We still have a copy :)
Kat
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: tall book lovers
In cleaning out packed boxes of books in storage, I came across this gem of a book and remembered (fondly) all the times my son pulled this tall, thin book out and wanted to snuggle and read. This is a lovely volume of tales and well worth the order or look see as it is a staple as warm and snug as oatmeal. Absolutely worth the hunt!
Shelley Barnow
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Long out of print, but one of my very favorites from my childhood. It was magic.
Ms.
Nov 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
It would not have been my childhood if I had not had this book.
Jill
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jill by: my great-grandmother
Shelves: favorites, childrens
One of my fondest early childhood memories is my great-grandmother reading this book every time we came to visit. I had several favorite stories and each time she read it like it was the first. What a joy to have an out-of-print copy in my own possession....
Liz
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Stories and poems, not the usual. Illustrated in color by Garth Williams. Creepy and unforgettable. Appreciated by more than just me. Shame I lost my copy in "the move" because apparently it will cost well over 200 dollars to replace.

Beth Jordan
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Favorite book from my childhood. Still read it annually. Ah, good memories.
Beth Baer
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-children
I still have my childhood edition - the jacket is a little torn. This was one of my most beloved books of stories, rhymes, verse. What memories!
Lisa
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
One of my favorite books when I was a toddler.
Beth
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I so wish I still had my copy of this book. It haunted my childhood.
Peggy Kruger
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a child and I wish I still had it. I could get lost in the gorgeous illustrations.
Victoria
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites from childhood. Definitely fantastical. If anyone finds a copy of this book, I'd love to get it.
Sean
Jan 07, 2009 marked it as to-read
I reember this fondly from childhood...what happened to my copy? Even a used 1992 reprint is ridiculously expensive.
Karen
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I finally tracked down the original book that was read to me as a child, this book was so worn and broken. It was at a family vacation cottage so I am sure it was read by many of my cousins too. I then went on the internet to search for a copy to buy. I was shocked because the one I found on Amazon was $95. I have since seen it for much more.
Obviously mine was not the only childhood wrapped around this wonderful book.
I have actually ended up with 3 copies in pretty good condition from the 1
Mardia Awang
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I remember I read this book when I a teenage, about 8-10 years ago. I pick it randomly in the library, the hard cover was beautiful and it's tall, that's make it unique as per the name. The smell of the book when I opened it, run straight to my head. I was stunned by the illustration and the beauty of the poetry. I am gonna find this book and give to my children one day. One fine day!
Connie D
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Loved this as a child. Wonderful pictures that sent my imagination wandering. I loved the shape too, and the collection of stories and poems that were chosen, reading and rereading. It started falling apart before we were grown.
Haley Dircks
Nov 24, 2016
Jessica Homann
Jan 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Children's writer Jane Werner Watson (1915-2004) was born in Fond du Lac, Wis. She earned a B.A. in English in 1936 from the University of Wisconsin, began a career in publishing, and became a prolific writer who specialized in non-fiction.

She was one of the first editors for the original Golden Books series, and wrote books for Disney series.

She also wrote under the names Elsa Jane Werner Watso
More about Jane Werner Watson...