Start by marking “Why I Am An Atheist: An Autobiographical Discourse” as Want to Read:
Why I Am An Atheist: An Autobiographical Discourse

Why I Am An Atheist: An Autobiographical Discourse

Autobiography of an Indian revolutionary and freedom fighter.
91 pages
Published (first published 1931)

Start your review of Why I Am An Atheist: An Autobiographical Discourse
Himanshu
This essay is supposed to be read by an argumentative, non-aligned, unprejudiced and a detached mind because only such a mind would have the ability to comprehend the essence of these musings.

At 22 years of age, if a person delves into such philosophies with such prudence and vanity, it's only a great tragedy to have lost him so early.

A text to cherish all my life.
Dr. Appu Sasidharan
Apr 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing

(Regular Review) How can a young man who lived only for 23 years write such a masterpiece with extraordinary philosophical ideas while he was in Lahore Jail waiting to be hanged? The situation in which he wrote this book might have turned even the strongest atheist into a religious person. But not Bhagat Singh.

He is a true example of the word firebrand, which might be the reason why we are still talking about him with so much passion even after around 100 years.

Many of us might have heard or
Warwick
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Warwick by: rahul
A quite remarkable document from one of India's most firebrand revolutionary socialists, an anarchist and activist who played a small but influential role in the movement for Indian independence in the 1920s. I can't approve of Singh's political approach (i.e., assassination), but I do find his thoughts on atheism very moving for two reasons – firstly, because they come out of such a conspicuously religious (if religiously diverse) society, so much so that even now too many people think of ‘the ...more
Ashish Iyer
To be honest it was an okayish book. It doesn't seems to be a great writing or reasoning. It doesn't say something extraordinary that you haven't heard before.

Unfortunately, Bhagat Singh is now used as a communist symbol to incite violence. They are slowly appropriating him. Same way Ambedkar is being appropriate by Dravidian parties. Its hilarious to see that none of these parties have even read these great men work.

Anyway i have a huge respect for this man.
Naman to Bhagat Singh.
Innocentasahuman extremist
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The generation... i consider post freedom generation only... could have some ethics to sacrify if this book was made a school syllabus supplement....
We only learn name, date of birth, or image of the great people...
we always ignore and forget the ethical grounds and vision behind their sacrifice....
We should adopt some books in our syllabus...
S.Ach
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: india
As a kid, I idolized Bhagat Singh, Subash Bose.
Non-violence? What is that? Show the other cheek when you are slapped on one. What idiotic notion is this? What a loser Gandhi was?
The real fight was what Singh did. Bose did. Tit for tat. You beat us. And we beat you more. You kill us. We kill you.
And also, I loved then Mithun-da, Dharamendra movies where they killed 'chun chun ke' the rapists who killed their sisters.

But, unfortunately, I grew up.

I understood the power and importance of non-vi
Priya N
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How can anyone even rate this book. It’s not possible. However, having read this book,written by the most enlightened person ,that too at a very young age, gave me goosebumps. I love how strong he can be even in most difficult of the situations, how unflinching his attitude is even when he is imprisoned. How strong his motto is. Such a great person. He says he might be locked up in the jail or anywhere but his mind is free to think. No one can ever stop that.

So this book consists of set of lett
Ishani
This review is only on this book by Bhagat Singh and in no way on the man and the freedom fighter that he was !

With all respect to his stand on being an atheist and while I am no expert in Christianity or Islam and hence can’t answer his questions, his questions on Hinduism are very easily answerable; those answers are actually what Indian civilization/Hinduism is. May be all he needed was a guru.

Having said so, he was not a fair-weathered atheist. The conviction with which he embraced it and s
Avinash
Every Indian knows who Bhagat Singh was and what he did for India's fight for freedom but not many people are aware about his ideology or why he was a Marxist. Well! this piece of writing will give you an exact idea about these. What amazed me most was his clarity of thoughts. This doesn't look anything like a writing from a 22-23 year old boy who knew that he will be hanged in next few weeks. As the essay pointed out he was a voracious reader and that maturity reflects in his writing. Being an ...more
rahul
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Today is 23rd March , Shaheed Diwas/Martyr's Day observed for the martyrdom of Bhagat Singh along with his comrades Sukhdev and Rajguru. Singh was hanged to death on March 23, 1931.
He was only 23.

And I think it would be fitting if one just listen's to this man's thoughts ( if anybody hasn't read this little essay before )

It is hardly a few pages and well worth your time.

==============================================
21 Nov 2014

It is necessary for every pe
Ravi Prakash
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very few books in life tempt to read them again. Bhagat Singh shows a rationale aspect of a communist. Religion has nothing to do with his ideology. To him, Religion is just an exploitative tool in the hand of Bourgeois to threaten the proletarian. It demands courage to be an atheist.
Theredheaded_Bibliomaniac
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One thing which I have noticed in atheists is that the don't try to force their belief on us.
But the believers always try to do that.
I am not am atheist but I do have a lot of curiosity and I ask my friends who are atheist, "why are they atheist?"
I just want to know their thought process.
Yeah I might give counter arguments to their thoughts.
And which some might consider as forcing my belief on them.
But that was not my intention and my friends know that. but yeah some might get offended ..
So I
Vikas Lather
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the most lovable pamphlets produced by Indian sub-continent
Hirdesh
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Title would have confused a reader, whether he's saying about religious values..
Not at all....
Such title are Blunder Mirage similar to Second part of "Why I AM HINDU " BY THAROOR.

Utterly political/Reformative values and facts had been consolidated by Author regardless of title.
Pooja Bhoi
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Written by a revolutionary and brave Bhagat Singh, Why I Am an Atheist is an essay that needs to be preserved and cherished. Sacrificing his life at the age of 23, his influential role in Independence is beyond inspiring.

Anushree Saran
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am amazed by the thought process of Bhagat Singh, considering he was about 23 when he wrote this essay. This is a gem of a read. It gives you some insight into the mindset of a revolutionary.
Piyush Bhatia
Jun 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An avant - garde essay !!

In this essay, the critical thinking and cognizance shown by Bhagat Singh is simply formidable. A man, at such a tender age (22-23) was capable of such ideas and that too nearly a century ago. I wonder where I had been to not read this essay until now.

The coherence of his thinking clearly shows that he was a rare bird in terms of religious firebrand. And, more than that, the condition in which he wrote the essay (while being in the Lahore Central Jail) is beyond belief
Prerna malik
Shelves: favorites
Way ahead of it's time. Individualistic & frighteningly courageous ! ...more
prakash
Apr 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nice emotional outburst at the end instead of sound reasoning.

I was a little disappointed with the arguments provided by Bhagat singh in favour of atheism. I thought a great man like him would have a sane head to tackle an issue like this but anyways i like his honesty.

He himself says,
"As far as I am concerned, I admit that I lack sufficient study in this field. I had a great desire to study the Oriental Philosophy, but I could get ample opportunity or sufficient time to do so."
And then he goes
Guttu
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quickies
Actual rating 2.5 /5

This book has dented the image of Bhagat Singh that I had in my mind. Though his contribution towards freedom struggle and my respect towards him will remain intact.

This is the trouble with the youth of India. I was surprised that the current situation has been in existence 90 years back. The youth is moving towards communism which cannot exist in peace with Hindu society. There is no issue in questioning the existence of God but the issue is not pursuing the question for sol
Krunal Ghelani
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I am big fan of Bhagat Singh and admire him lot. I was expecting any specific reason of life changing event who made him atheist, but nothing special. General logic, every other atheist has.
Karthick
TERRIFIC! ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIC

Considering his age and the period he lived (1920s), I am absolutely astounded of his love for reading and the knowledge he had.

Bhagat Singh! Take a Bow!

some Top class statements:

1.Society must fight against this belief in God as it fought against idol worship and other narrow conceptions or religion. in this way man will trying to stand in his feet. Being realistic, he will have to throw his faith aside and face all adversaries with courage and v
Rajat TWIT
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most powerful accounts to counter the religion, the legendary historic figure Bhagat Singh is decidedly a giant of intellectual. Before a revolutionary, he was a FREETHINKER. Come to think of it, he became such a respected revolutionary just because of his independent spirit and ability to question the traditional set up. Considering the young age and then the authority that he has over his views on religious gimmicks, one can easily realize that he was a man of logic and reasoning. H ...more
তানজীম আহমেদ
Such a wonderful read! I am pretty surprised to perceive how a young man who lived only 23 years can think in this way!!! How?! No, I am not surprised with all his logic for becoming an atheist. I am surprised to know how he used to thought. How his thought process worked. After passing teenage, if there's any revolutionary we see, we obviously know that he must be short tempered, avengeful. But Bhagat Singh well described what he thinks about a revolutionary. It's not obvious that, you must me ...more
Arun Raj
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
he astonishes me again with this book again.....at the age of 23,still boyish as far as the the age concerned kept such such a strong mind with a high thinking...generally any common human being believes in god when a hard time comes..even so many so called atheists changes their mind in such situations.But bhagat gives a strong comment why he is still an atheist even then when his death is so near ready to embrace him....let me quote the last para of the book...

"Let us see how steadfast I am. O
Amol Gupta
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If not for this book, I would always undermine Bhagat Singh as a revolting young man who got glorified by the spectacular sacrifice he made for the national freedom. Instead, his writings indicate that he had an extraordinary clarity of thought for a 23-year-old. The references he makes in this book show that he was well-read and had strong research to support his school of thoughts. May his sacrifice never be forgotten.
Sai Kishore Kanagiri
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
"'Study' was the cry that reverberated in the corridors of my mind. Study to enable yourself to face the arguments advanced by opposition. Study to arm yourself with arguments in favor of your cult. I began to study."

Bhagat Singh
Omkar (BookmanOmkar)
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"One's reasoning may be mistaken and even fallacious. But there is a chance that he will be corrected because Reason is the guiding principle of his life. But belief, I should say blind belief is disastrous. It deprives a man of his understanding of power and makes him reactionary."
- Bhagat Singh, Why I am an Atheist

We all know the great freedom fighter, Bhagat Singh, by his revolutionary acts which shook up the British Raj but very few are aware of the thoughts behind making him a man who offe
Sidharth Vardhan
My mom was a great fan of Bhagat Singh – and ‘fan’ is the word, she had two paintings with revolutionary guys like Bhagat Singh, Chandershekhar Azad and S. C. Bose in room, the only good reason for her to go to cinema was to watch Bhagat Singh movie and believe me she could have whistled if she knew how (I’m not exaggerating).

What is more, she would weep every time she saw the ending, whichever version - and sometimes she saw them three times a day. Now this could be embaressing to someone like

• Why I Assassinated Mahatma Gandhi
  • The Doctor and the Saint: Caste, Race, and Annihilation of Caste
  • Swami Vivekananda on Himself
  • Atal Bihari Vajpayee: A Man for All Seasons
See top shelves…
Bhagat Singh was an Indian socialist considered to be one of the most influential revolutionaries of the Indian independence movement. He is often referred to as "Shaheed Bhagat Singh", the word "Shaheed" meaning "martyr" in a number of South Asian and Middle Eastern languages. Born into a Sikh family which had earlier been involved in revolutionary activities against the British Raj, as a teenage ...more