Start by marking “The Way of the Wizard: Twenty Spiritual Lessons for Creating the Life You Want” as Want to Read:
The Way of the Wizard: Twenty Spiritual Lessons for Creating the Life You Want

The Way of the Wizard: Twenty Spiritual Lessons for Creating the Life You Want

The author of the acclaimed New York Times bestsellers The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success and Ageless Body, Timeless Mind now presents a guide to using spiritual alchemy for awakening the magic in everyday life.
Published December 26th 1995 by Harmony (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of the Wizard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of the Wizard

Start your review of The Way of the Wizard: Twenty Spiritual Lessons for Creating the Life You Want
Steve Cran
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Author Deepak Chopra uses the metaphor of Merlin raising the future King Arthur in the Crystal cave to teach the reader 20 lessons that will transform the reader's life.

Each lesson or chapter is divided into three sections. The first section tells a story where in Arthur learns his lesson from Merlin. The second section is understanding the lesson where the teaching is given further explanation. The third section is called Living the lesson which is how to apply the teaching to daily life.

The fi
Virag Padalkar
May 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Deepak Chopra follows the way of all self-styled "spiritual" gurus. Here's the SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) of such quackery -

1. Pick an obscure metaphor for a little-understood concept (in this case Merlin and Arthur)
2. Concoct very weird tales that can be passed off as meta-physical connections to certain inexplicable concepts.
3. Relate to those concepts using a chain of even more convoluted logic in such a manner as to confuse readers.
4. Package the whole product using really cool bu
The Goon
Sep 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Terrible book! Pretentious and horrible, I left this book on a park bench. I didn't want it sitting next to my other books and contaminating their space. This book was not worthy of my bookshelf.
Min Yi  Su
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has so many nuggets of valuable information, I read it slowly over many nights. Though much of the information is familiar, I enjoyed the format Chopra delivers with the story of Arthur and Merlin. I digested the lessons with reflection in my own life and the choices I make. And in the same slow and stead manner, I allowed my perspective to adjust and change when needed.
Waseem
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think this is a bookt hat must be read as opposed to heard - as I did with the audiobook version, nevertheless the metaphors and parables of merlin and arthuer, were 'ok' but not too appealing for some reason in my preffereed method of learning. Ive read/heard similar style books but this just didn't get me excited enough to give it a serious listen as opposed to it ending up being a passive listen towards the end..perhaps thats why ive rated it so low as I didnt get enough of it...

but i prefe
Cassie
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book. Fascinating, and Magical!!! A must read for those on the path for purpose, transformation, fulfillment, joy and contentment in life. The old saying "The teacher will arrive when the student is ready" is very true for those of us who is willing to open our hearts to learn, understand, and become a pupil. The complexity of life is overwhelming, yet was exemplified with stories and lessons in the Way of the Wizard as told through the character portrayal of the young King Arthur and ...more
Kathy
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Borrowed this from Mom. I really like the way the ideas are presented, but more than that, they make sense to me - feel familiar.
Gabriel Iqbal
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Deepak is visionary... a human soul on fire. I have read most of his works and he continues to excite fresh paradigms. He is scientific as well as meta-physical in a single heart-beat.
Jordan
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I expected a crappy new age green (integral) book, and I was wrong.

Instead I found Chopra speaking in amazing depth sharing timeless spiritual wisdom.

Perhaps I'm just ready for this kind of stuff now, or more capable of looking past the worldview and receiving the state-transmission, but I would recommend this book to anyone. It's simple, easy to read, and has a deep transmission.
Ashley Gleiter
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am typically impressed by Deepak Chopra’s illuminating view of the world, and his insights are always compelling to me. This book was no different - it ties together his different lessons and messages in a fluid and engaging way, without being confusing or overwhelming whatsoever. In this - I was a little put off by the Merlin storyline at first, and quickly found that it was a brilliant way to set up and illustrate the 20 lessons that are shared. So worth the read. I loved it.
Catherine
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a book that enfolds Hindu wisdom within the tale of King Arthur and Merlyn the wizard. Rather than directly instruct the reader, the lessons are told through stories about Merlyn's tutoring of the young Arthur. Each lesson has a story, an explanation of the lesson and an explanation of what it means to apply the lesson to your life. It's a clever way of introducing these spiritual concepts to someone raised in Western culture, especially if, like me, a person is enthralled with the King ...more
Jana
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I decided to read it in one sitting, since it is a short book, but one can easily spend a much longer time reading it and I am sure it won't be the last time I have read it. I feel this is a book to carry around with you every day and read the lessons again and again, and every time you learn something new from it. I know that to fully grasp its content I will have to read it more than this one time.
Jonathan Sudler
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book comes from a very unusual direction combining the author's Hindu traditions and his fantastical view of the Arthurian legend. Beautiful wisdom is presented in an enticing manner however, periodically I found myself thinking/pondering the question of would a medieval Merlin even think along these lines? And then I would get caught up again in the beauty of the writing. Short and easy to read but its lessons will stick with you for a very long time.
Corey Jonez
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put the book down, and yet most of the time the book was in my hand- I wasn't reading it, I was merely soaking in the reality of what I had just read! This book is right up there with seven spiritual laws as my favorite!
Elly Sands
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book over and over again and even indexed it. I avoided Chopra's books for a long time thinking he was too main stream . He may be but his writing is superb and very very insightful.
Cecilia Zuniga
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book does a great job of integrating teachings from not only Merlin but that are found across ancient traditions. It's an easy, lovely and powerful read.
Rodeweeks
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Great book, I've enjoyed it. Interesting how Chopra used Merlin to teach about the spiritual life. Those who know will be able to see elements from most major religions though Chopra barely mentions them by name. I've especially enjoyed the Seven Steps in Alchemy. If you want to grow spiritually but don't know where to start (or if you need some reminders what it is all about) then this is the book for you. The book also give valuable meditation exercises as well as touch on the meaning of life ...more
A.J.
May 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Deepak Chopra is gifted charlatan who preys on the weak-minded and gullible. Included in this group are a few “celebrities” and talk-show hosts who propagate this nonsense to their sheep-like followers. Being the adept con man that he is he throws in scientific jargon to hide his profound ignorance.
Bowties&Paperairplanes
Sally Lovelock
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I love Deepak Chopra, he has the most beautiful voice. However, I couldn't bring myself to read this book and gave up after it took me over a week to read 21 pages!! Not like me at all but life is too short to read books that aren't enjoyable
Bruce
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every thing we experience is but a reflection of ourselves. Therefore, the world changes as we change. We are energy, life force, and we are influenced by spirit. We are able to sense spirit, so we are something different from spirit.
unknown
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book fell into my lap at the moment I needed it. "When a student is ready, the teacher will come." I've just finished it and feel as if my mind has undergone a defragmentation process. I want everyone to read this, slowly, and absorb it fully.
Alec Frampton
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall I thought The Way of the Wizard was a great read. It was full of spiritual lessons intimating at the illusion of separation, identity, changing thinking habits, etc. Merlin and King Arthur served as an excellent basis for these teachings.
Edna Rios
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The wizard as the witness

This story made entirely of metaphors show us the way of the seeker. The seeker who awakened to the ultimate truth of Unity. The divine conscience of our Soul as it is following its more desired miracle: the communion with all that exists.
Kanika
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved this book or say guide to find your inner self.I am impressed with the way Author has delivered his message. Describing through characters of Merlin and Arthur is unique and made the reading interesting.
Dee Halzack
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent, though a little abstruse. Most of it fit neatly with what I learned in Avatar.
Luce Cronin
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
If you are searching , this is a book to point the way.
Stephanie
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Thoughtful but at times simplistic.
Camille
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really like Deepak Chopra's books as they are always engaging to the mind and gives you a different perception of the world within afterwards.
Bill Kenney
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book won’t be for everyone but I def enjoyed it
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior
  • The Astonishing Power of Emotions
  • Living in the Light: A Guide to Personal and Planetary Transformation
  • Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires
  • Inspiration: Your Ultimate Calling
  • 10 Secrets for Success and Inner Peace
  • One
  • Heal Your Body: The Mental Causes for Physical Illness and the Metaphysical Way to Overcome Them
  • Excuses Begone!: How to Change Lifelong, Self-Defeating Thinking Habits
  • Wheels of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System
  • The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
  • Hands of Light: A Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field
  • The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both

News & Interviews

“The most creative act you will ever undertake is the act of creating yourself.” 259 likes
“A person desperately searching for love," Merlin said, "reminds me of a fish desperately searching for water.” 50 likes