Start by marking “Napoleon Josephine: The Sword And The Hummingbird” as Want to Read:
Napoleon  Josephine: The Sword And The Hummingbird

Napoleon Josephine: The Sword And The Hummingbird

Acclaimed authors Gerald and Loretta Hausman weave together the stories of Napoleon and Josephine and their turbulent love affair in this lavish and beautifully written novel.

As Josephine grows up on the tropical island of Martinique, she dreams of moving to Paris to live a life of glamour. An arranged marriage to a French nobleman brings her to Paris, but not
Published October 1st 2004 by Orchard

To ask other readers questions about Napoleon Josephine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Napoleon Josephine

Jillian Greenawalt
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fast read, and gave a decent easy to read overview of Josephine's life and their relationship together.
Holly Ristau
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fast juvenile-level biography that made me look for more information.
Melainebooks
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Très bon roman historique sur Joséphine et Napoléon (écrit par un auteur américain). L'histoire est racontée du point de vue de Joséphine. On suit son évolution depuis son île de la Martinique où tout le monde l'appelle Rose, jusqu'à son mariage avec Alexandre de Beauharnais, la révolution, la Terreur et son mariage avec Bonaparte. La seconde moitié du livre se focalise sur sa vie avec Bonaparte sans jamais être lourd ou emplie de détails. Ce livre est idéal pour une première approche concernant ...more
Posie
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Usually, I love historical fiction/romance novels. But really, this was extremely disappointing. The book started out great, very exciting and with just enough scary stuff to keep you holding on. Then Napoleon comes in. I know, I know, Napoleon is completely central to this story, but I think the authors could have done a much better job with him. It was just...almost painful to read to an extent. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't waste your time.
A.
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
What a strange and fascinating relationship these two had. And how terribly sad. I guess that's the risk you take with reading love stories from real life, the author can't just give them a happy ever after if they didn't have one in actuality. Sometimes I think France at that time must have been one of the hardest places to be alive, in great particular for a woman.
Serena
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, historical
Aww. This book didn't get very fantastic community reviews. But that's okay, because of all of the Josephine + Napoleon literature that I've come across, this one is, in my opinion, the best.

Oh god I'm shipping them like they're two teenagers. This ship will sail!!

PS: I cried at the end

Sandy
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Highly fictionalized biography, a quick read for young adults. A brief glimpse into a tumultuous period in world history through the eyes of two very unique individuals who both shaped and were victims of their time.
Jbl Robinson
Perhaps history's most turbulent and passionate romance ...The French Revolution, A Colonial Martinique and the Napoleonic Wars makes for a perfect setting for the this racy and engaging love story blamed on a destiny to "be more than a queen" ... read in one sitting ... it grips you ...
Vickie T
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Story of Napoleon and Josephine told mostly from Josephine's side. Mildly interesting. The Hausmans really didn't make them come alive.
Elizabeth Wallace
May 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
Could be romantic but reads like a textbook.
Jayne
Aug 13, 2010
Kururu-sama
Apr 16, 2014
Romy
rated it did not like it
Feb 14, 2016