Start by marking “The Black Unicorn (Magic Kingdom Of Landover 2)” as Want to Read:
The Black Unicorn (Magic Kingdom Of Landover 2)

The Black Unicorn

(Magic Kingdom of Landover #2)

A year has passed since Ben Holiday bought the Magic Kingdom and claimed the throne. Three loyal friends had come to his aid: an incompetent court wizard, a talking dog, and the lovely Willow. Now Ben has to fight for his kingdom all over again.
Published March 2007 by Orbit (first published 1987)

Aryn
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Fans Looking For Something Mindless
The King of Landover has had his identity stolen by an evil wizard! Everyone believes the wizard to be Ben Holiday, the King, and Ben Holiday appears to them as a stranger. He is cast out of his castle by his friends. Thus begins a journey searching for the woman, Willow, who in turn is on a journey looking for the Black Unicorn. This is a tale of magic, demons, dragons, unicorns, self-discovery and understanding, and love.

This was a fun read. When my ex's dad bought me the first book in the ser
Joy H.
RE: The Black Unicorn by Terry Brooks

I recently finished reading this book, the second in Brooks' Landover series. (I have also read the first in the series, Kingdom for Sale, Sold!) I enjoyed following up on the characters and story from the first book. It was fun to read, not as compelling as some other books I've read, but fun to read just the same. I took it a little at a time because at times the plot seemed to be a bit slow. So I'd close the book and go onto another book until I was ready
Summer
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fefi
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un inganno...magico
Ben Holiday è finalmente re di Landover,ma le trame losche del perfido Meeks lo aspettano dietro l'angolo.
Di mezzo ci finirà anche un povero unicorno nero che compare stranamente nei sogni di Willow.
Un nuovo personaggio entra in scena: Dirk,il gatto prismatico che si comporta proprio da gatto,anche se per lui è quello il modo di aiutare il povero Ben,che non viene più riconosciuto da nessuno.
Si ritrovano anche la Strega del Crepuscolo e il drago Strabo,che con i loro battibecc
Artnoose McMoose
Aug 12, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Artnoose by: my own lapse of judgment
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Because I live in a house with a science fiction / fantasy library in the living room, I challenged myself to read the following three books:

1. One Piers Anthony novel
2. One Star Trek novel
3. One Terry Brooks novel

I started with this book and about 25 pages into it, I wondered about this challenge. I wondered why I was wasting my time reading bad books when there are so many good books on my list I want to read.

And this is a bad book. Really poor writing. Predictable character types, cliche meta
Valyssia Leigh
This is the last book in this series I'll read. I really don't like the MC. Ben Holiday is whiny and too stupid to have the history his author claims. I coped with this during the first book because he has quite a lot to whine about, and while there's nothing novel about the concept of a hidden fantasy world that exists alongside our own, the setup was still mildly amusing.

In this book the whiner is back. He's been king of Landover for a year. In the time, he's learned nothing. He's done nothin
Carmine
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Le problematiche del sognare a Landover

Seguito che non gode della stessa freschezza del capostipite, caratteristica forse insita al primo capitolo di una saga; e convince generalmente pochino tutta la gestione approssimativa della componente onirica e del binomio realtà-allucinazione che si cerca di portare avanti in maniera fiacca.
Anche sui personaggi - troppo macchiettistici e fossilizzati su se stessi - c'è davvero poco da dire.
deilann
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on SpecFic Junkie.

In this book, everyone holds the idiot ball! And so a lot of bad things happen! Somehow, that's not entirely enjoyable! There are mild spoilers in this review! Look! Exclamation marks!

So, the first thing Ben Holiday is told about being King of Landover is that the magical king amulet thing can't be taken away from him. He has to give it away voluntarily. So when bigBadEvilWizard says that he gave it away in a dream that Holiday can't remember, he just believes
Jamie
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Originally read: Many years ago.... (around 1998)
Re-read May 2016
4 1/2 stars
*Review in progress*
I really do love this series. Easy and enjoyable. Lots of magic, a bit of action and comedy and lots of terrific story and fantastic creatures! We get a new character in this one. Dirk the Prism Cat. He is one of my new favorites in this series. A cat and Fae creature in every way!
Ben is a bit dense in this one and he really plays the poor victim card but at least he doesn't fully give up. This book
Charlton
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really liked this book,and thought it was as good if not better than Magic Kingdom For Sale-Sold.
More story-lines going on at the same time and just a touch of intrigue.
Frankie
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Recensione sul blog: http://thereadingpal.blogspot.it/2018...

Alla buon ora, ho ripreso in mano questa serie. Il primo volume, Il magico mondo di Landover, non mi ha lasciato, alla fine, un gran ricordo. Che di solito non è un buon segno. Ma mi era piaciuto, e avevo già tre dei quattro libri quindi ho continunato a leggere. Questo è il secondo libro.

Ben Holiday si è finalmente installato come re di Landover. Ci sono molti programmi da portare avanti e molti impegni, e di Meeks, finalmente, neanc
Kirstie
After waking from vivid dreams Ben, Quester, and Willow set off individually on quests prompted by their dreams. Though they don't know it their quests are connected, and not in a good way.

I love Edgewood Dirk(who doesn't love a fae cat ;p ) and am glad that now Willow is out doing her own things (even if for male driven reasons), and I have to say the general concept of a black unicorn is really cool, plus the unicorn related revelation at the end of the book is actually pretty damn cool.

I just
Tatra
I have figured out why I am so-so on these books. I mean, it is good fantasy, but some part of me goes ‘eh’ and that is because the characters are not growning. They are pretty much unchanging and they are also not really nice. They don’t listen to each other at all.
Kevin
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Overall I liked listening to the book. There is a part of me though that struggles with the Hero's density of mind at times, which probably stops me from giving it 5 stars, but beyond that the book was very enjoyable.
Rod
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Intense. Unicorns and gnomes and demons and a witch and a dragon and 2 wizards and a beautiful girl who turns into a tree... and a Kick Ass Knight. Maybe 3.5 stars

Oh yeah, and a really cool magic cat named Dirk.

So the scenario is: our main characters get dreams they must follow - but are the trustworthy?
One is for King Ben to go back to his old world (Chicago) and check on his best friend.
Two is for Questor (the wizard) to go looking for some lost books of magic.
Three is for Willow (Ben's Hott
Scott Holstad
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boy, a lot of people really don't like this book. Well, I do. Granted, it's not as good as the first book in this Landover series, but I still think it tells a good story. In it, one night Ben Holiday, the new king of Landover, his wizard Questor Thews, and the sylph Willow all have dreams that compel them to go on individual quests because of what they see in their dreams -- Ben sees his former law partner in Chicago in trouble and crying out for Ben's help, Questor sees some magic books he can ...more
drowningmermaid
Sep 23, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Why write one fantasy book when you can write two?

All this book is, is a recap of book one-- a reintroduction to everyone you saw there with no forward development. Good thing it's been eighteen years since I read book one.

Secondly, OMG the big "mystery" revealed on page 300-- yeah. I figured that out closer to page 50. It's infuriating having to watch imbeciles. And Meeks is the least-frightening villain I've come across in a while.

Also, it focuses almost exclusively on the characters tagging
Jenny
Jul 02, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans, fusho.
I picked this up and the two further sequels when I saw them at the used book store. I remember reading it when I was in eighth grade, and it brought back the memories. It has the usual fantasy funs, unicorns, wizards, good vs. evil, witches, bog wumps, and bunches of fairy creatures. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the first book. That's OK - I remember (mostly).

However, it's not as good now as I remember it being in eighth grade. The only reason I finished it was my own grim determination to do
Emily
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One night, Ben Holiday, High Lord of Landover, and his companions the wizard, Questor Thews and the sylph, Willow, each have a dream which compels them on a quest. The three journeys seem unrelated, but they may not be. The reappearance of the evil wizard Meeks and the sighting of a Black Unicorn might also have something do to with the situation.
This is a rather lackluster novel of magic and journeying across a fantasy world, which this author seems to be known for (except the lackluster part.
Brian Schiebout
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Black Unicorn by Terry Brooks is the second book in the Landover series. The story begins when Ben Holiday, King of Landover and two of his closest companions have dreams which they believe portend something important. As a result Ben goes back to earth to check on his old partner while Willow the Sylph looks for a golden bridle and Questor Thews, the wizard looks for the lost books of magic. However Ben soon learns that his trip to earth was a scheme to allow the evil wizard Meeks back into ...more
Books-treasureortrash
Book Review: 2 Treasure Boxes

I found the story to be interesting and I really liked how each of them faced and dealt with their own challenges.The story shows growth within all characters, although I thought that Ben had to make the greatest self-discovery in order to overcome his challenge. I enjoyed reading how each of them dealt with the dilemmas they faced as they completed their journeys. We also get to know all the characters a little better. The story was well written and leads us to chee
Lauren
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own
When I finished Magic Kingdom for Sale-Sold I could not stand to end the story there. I had fallen in love with the world and the characters I had come to know. I started this book that same night. This book allowed me to keep the adventure going, but it was not as good as the first. In the first Landover book Ben is a very clever man. He impressed me with his bravery and his intelligence. In this book, though, he doesn't do any of the work until the very end of the book. Other characters show u ...more
Laura Cushing
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second in thr Landover series. Ben is tricked by the evil wizard Meeks and his friends no longer recognize him as king. His only companion is a prism cat named Dirk. Meanwhile, Willow goes in search of a black unicorn she has seen in dreams.

The second book does more world building, though I still don't have a solid grip of how magic works in this universe. The relationships between the characters undergo some growth. I love how cat like Dirk is, magical talking and all he still has cattitude and
Lee
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
It's been a year since Ben Holiday bought the magic kingdom of Landover. However, when he has a troubling dream, Ben realizes that he must make a return visit to his old world. Ben's dream turns out to be a trap, and he is tricked into bringing the evil wizard Meeks back to Landover.

Meeks quickly switches identities with Ben, and sends him off to wander Landover as a wretched nobody. Can Ben Holiday learn to overcome the magic that has stolen his identity, and rescue those he loves in this stran
Kelsey Hanson
I like this series, but it definitely has its weird moments. For some reason, this book has never been my favorite in the series. Generally, I enjoy this series because it is pretty light-hearted with a lot of creative characters and a unique world. I think I like this one a bit less because it addresses a lot of the same issues (and villain) as the first one. Also, I've always found Willow a bit odd. I'm not entirely sure why, but I thinks he's almost too serene. I tend to like feisty character ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I read these some years ago and while they are not "real memorable" plot wise (they are lighthearted and convoluted) they are memorable as "fun. I prefer them to most of Brooks other works...the ones of a more serious vein.
Lisa James
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This one was cute, with the plot twist I didn't see coming. Ben has his work cut out for him in this follow up to Magic Kingdom for Sale :) It's a fun romp, & you are cheering for Ben to get things figured out before his enemies get him.
Vicky
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as enjoyable as the first one but still good.
Jeremy Manuel
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
The Black Unicorn is not a perfect book. I would say that it is a step down from Terry Brook's first installment in the Magic Kingdom of Landover series. However, I would also say it isn't as bad as some make it out to be. I'll admit I went back and forth between giving this a four or three stars, but four won out and I'll let you know why.

Let's start off with the bad. The book feels like it rehashes themes from the last book a little too much. While the story is mainly fueled by the quest for t
Kerstin
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2017
Im zweiten Band der Reihe ist Ben seit einem Jahr der König von Landover und im Großen und Ganzen meistert er seine Aufgabe gut. Allerdings gibt es nach wie vor Komplikationen und Feinde, die ihm den Thron missgönnen, darunter vor allem Meeks. Nachdem der Zauberer im Vorgänger eher eine kleine Rolle gespielt hat, hat mir gefallen, dass er in "Das schwarze Einhorn" eine große und ernst zu nehmende Bedrohung ist und dass er sich als clever und gerissen herausstellt. Es gelingt ihm, Ben in eine Fal ...more
  • Unicorn Point (Apprentice Adept #6)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • The Prophet of Akhran (Rose of the Prophet, #3)
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more

Magic Kingdom of Landover (6 books)
  • Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
  • The Tangle Box (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #4)
  • Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #5)
  • A Princess of Landover (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #6)
“Who would you be but who you are?” 196 likes