Start by marking “The Flying Tigers” as Want to Read:
The Flying Tigers

The Flying Tigers

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  119 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
During World War II, a group of American fighter pilots roamed the skies over China and Burma, menacing the Japanese war effort without letup. Flamboyant, daring, and courageous, they were called the Flying Tigers.
The Tigers, who had been recruited from the Army, Navy, and Marines, first saw action as a volunteer group fighting on the side of the Chiang Kia-shek's China a
Published January 1984 by Dell Publ. Company (first published January 1st 1963)

Dave
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of my first reads in Elementary School....led to lifelong fascination with the AVG
Brian
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book. I felt it was better than the John Wayne movie. I actually wish the movie had been like this book. It was very easy to read and follow.
mark
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had a half-dozen of the Random House "Landmark" series of history books masquerading as biographies when I was a kid. I didn't have this one, and reading it today was just as enjoyable as reading the ones I had in the 70s. While the patriotic message is more than obvious, the personal sacrifice made by the pilots of the Flying Tigers is told in a very straightforward, factual way with enough personality of the individual men to give that "being there" feeling.
Curtiss
One of the first books I ever read was John Toland's "The Flying Tigers"; and I know I read it while in kindergarten, because I finger-painted my version of the same Book-of-the-Month Club cover above, with a glorious shark mouth on a P-40 zooming over the Burmese Jungle.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
History of the American fifgter pilots who flew for the Chinese against the Japanese as mercanaries prior to the US entry into World War II. Most survivors would re-enter the US military following Pearl Harbor.
Kieryn Nicolas
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very informative, great pacing, and had lots of primary sources among the secondary narration :)
J.
Apr 07, 2010
Joseph Smyth
Jul 23, 2012
Haythamhamdan
rated it did not like it
May 05, 2014
Feb 07, 2013
Bill Crowson
Dec 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John Willard Toland (June 29, 1912 in La Crosse, Wisconsin - January 4, 2004 in Danbury, Connecticut) was an American author and historian. He is best known for his biography of Adolf Hitler.[1]

Toland tried to write history as a straightforward narrative, with minimal analysis or judgment. This method may have stemmed from his original goal of becoming a playwright. In the summers between his coll
More about John Willard Toland...