Start by marking “Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table” as Want to Read:
Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table

Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table

Eating the Moosewood Restaurant way every day has never been easier.

Whole grains. Fresh fruits and vegetables. Lean, nutrient-rich fish. We all know the virtues of a well-balanced diet—of choosing foods that nourish our bodies and respect the environment—but as the world around us gets busier and more complicated, we also know how difficult it can be to prepare a wholesome
Published October 25th 2005 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers

Nadine Jones
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great cookbook with some real winners, but also some so-so recipes, and a few ridiculous recipes, like "corn on the cob" or "fresh tomato salad," which is chopped tomatoes with basil and fresh mozzarella tossed with olive oil. I make that all the time in the summer and never considered it a "recipe." I guess they aren't kidding when they titled this "simple"!

Recipes we tried:
Broccoli and Tomato Salad
My daughter made this for her school lunch, and raved about it. I neither made it nor a
Julie
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found out about the Moosewood Cookbooks in my book-a-day calendar. I am not a vegetarian, but the recipes sounded simply mouthwatering. So...we checked it out of the library (I didn't want to spend hard earned money unless it was good). My husband and I tried 6 recipes and LOVED every single one. Now we have bought our own cookbook. My favorite (so far): Tomato Tortilla Soup paired with bean and cheese quesadillas. Everything is so easy to make and fresh tasting. Tonight we had the Indian Pota ...more
Emmkay
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun to browse, and the recipes I've tried so far have done what they've said on the tin - flexible, tasty, and not too time-consuming. A keeper!
Cassandra
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is very usable book. I have worked my way through almost 70 of the recipes and all have been fairly easy to prepare and satisfying to my family. Our favorites include Creamy Lemon Pasta, Jop Chai, Caesar Salad with Tofu Croutons, Spinach-Cheese Burritos, and the super-delicious Cilantro Lime Dressing.
Penelope
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book is ok. I appreciate that the recipes are simple and usually result in a minimal amount of clean-up afterward, however I think that in some cases adding another pot or pan to the clean-up could have resulted in a better recipe.

A few of the recipes I made were awesome; I made them multiple times and they were great every single time. A few recipes were abject failures, either by my own fault or because the recipe was just a flop.

The Good:

Asparagus avgolemono (pg 130)
This soup is so good!
Kimberly
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks, food
There were a few recipes in here I will actually try. There's lots and lots of vegetarian/vegan options for those who need them. My husband and I are pretty plain eaters; besides his affection for all things Mexican food, we have a pretty basic palette. That being said, quite a few of these "simple" recipes had ingredients we would never purchase (what the heck is a Keiffer lime leaf?) so this book wasn't ideal for us. However, for those who eat more broadly across international cuisines, this b ...more
Karina
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
So many good ideas! You really can eat delicious freshly-cooked meals every day. Some recipes are high in fat and/or simple carbs, but you can always adjust the ingredients.
Juliet
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Had this from the library and really wanted to keep it. Got actual ideas for weeknight meals, and everything I've tried has been good and family-friendly.
Erika
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am not a vegetarian. That is probably why I can't rate this book any higher. It tried to use corn on the cob as a recipe which I think is ridiculous. And - vegetarian reuben?????
Sam
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
This book is out of print and it makes me sad. I rented this from the library and LOVE it. I'm debating on whether or not I want to buy a used one as I already have a Moosewood cookbook that I cook from all the time and love. I think there are some repeats in this book of recipes that are in the other book. Favorite recipe: Cauliflower Curry Soup with Cranberry Chutney I also like, but haven't tried yet, the very simple but essential recipes such as how to roast garlic (yes, please). Other recip ...more
Susan
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great cookbook

I love quick, simple, delicious vegetarian food. This cookbook has many recipes that are go -to regular dishes that I prepare.
Joan
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I'm loving this book. I've already made Nachos Grandes, Broccoli Slaw, Chipotle Scrambled Eggs, and Poached Huevos Rancheros. I have many more recipes on my to try list. I'm looking forward to more delicious simple suppers and even a few breakfasts (which of course can also be served for supper).

Moosewood Restaurant's emphasis is in cooking with wholesome, fresh foods so this book even has recipes that are healthy. It doesn't contain nutritional values but it does give you menu and serving ideas
Katie
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
My current favorite cookbook. I wasn't going to mark this as read until we'd done the whole book, but since we're being more seasonal with our produce these days AND there's a whole seafood chapter, that's never going to happen. I've done about 15-20 of the recipes, and all have been excellent. And easy. And filling. And they make a point of using some of the same ingredients a number of times, to go along with their suggestions for a "well-stocked pantry." Possibly this would be boring for an e ...more
Stacey
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: vegetarians, Moosewood fans
At what point can I say that I've read a cookbook? I've looked through all of the recipes and think they look delicious and manageable with the ingredients I usually have in the house. Tonight I made my first recipe out of it and we decided it was a keeper. It was a fancy take on grilled cheese sandwiches. This one was cauliflower cooked up with three cloves of garlic (yes, I can still taste it). Spread a bit of dijon mustard on bread (homemade from this morning), pile on the cauliflower, put ch ...more
Katie
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I cannot reccomend this book enough!!

I cook a lot and I'm vegetarian. Also, like most of the world, I'm pretty freakin' busy, but I don't think that is an excuse to not eat home-cooked meals. Enter this cookbook. Not only are the recipes pretty great, but they have also given me all sorts of ideas on how to make other things faster. If you aren't vegetarian, don't worry. There is a whole chapter on fish and most of the recipes could have chicken or some other meat added in. I highly recommend th
Heidi Pepin
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Not my favorite of the Moosewood cookbooks. I bookmarked several recipes to try, like the Asparagus Avgolemono soup or the Green and White Bean Gratin. Some of the recipes do call for unusual ingredients but they were few and far between. My biggest pet peeve was the recipe for Broccoli Slaw. Doesn't quite seem like a recipe to me to take pre-packaged broccoli slaw and add oil and lemon juice.

But at least a handful of recipes caught my eye. However, I'll probably stick with some of the other coo
Paul
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I saw this book at a greatly reduced price, and I had to have it! I've lived by Moosewood cookbooks for the majority of the past 30 years. The recipes in the two other cookbooks I have are often long, involved, even complicated. What was so exciting about this was the focus on recipes that are adaptable, quick, pantry-based, and of course delectable--all explained in the engaging introduction. These are the dishes the Moosewood staff cook when they come home. It's certain to claim a prominent pl ...more
Deb
I am a big Moosewood fan and finally got around to cooking from Simple Suppers. A great source of relatively easy and quick recipes that are great for weeknights. Most are healthy, many vegan. The homey Italian Bread & Cheese Soup (I used pumpernickel), had great flavor. Here's a link to the recipe and photos on my blog: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...
Mala
Jul 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: inexperienced cooks
I really enjoyed this collection. An experienced, confident cook might find it all a bit boring, but I highly recommend it for those who, like myself, consider themselves incompetent in the culinary arts. All of the recipes I've tried so far have been simple enough, but not at the overwhelming expense of taste. Many required less than two ingredients I didn't already have in my pantry/fridge. Under normal circumstances, I'd give it three and a half stars. Feeling generous, I rounded up.
Scottsdale Public Library
The soups in this book are AMAZING!! They have it all: easy to do, low calorie, kid friendly, low cost, and so good even die-hard carnivores don’t care they are vegetarian. I use the coconut rice recipe all the time as well. Definitely worth checking out to see what gems you can add to your repertoire of simple suppers. –Alexis S.-
Ann
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you like to go meatless regularly, this is an excellent book. Both for simple, flexible recipes and for endless ideas. We've had it for a few years, have made most of the stuff in it, and we still go back to it and make something from it at least once a week. This week we finally made the Spinach Cheese Burritos. Simple, fantastic, and soon to be a staple.
Cathy
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My favorite cookbook! It is vegetarian, and the recipes are truly "simple." My husband asks me to cook from this book over and over. He loves it, too. Some favorites: Spinach Cheese Burritos, Navajo Stew, Mango Coconut Sorbet, to name a few.
Michelle
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
A good basic cookbook from the renowned vegetarian cooperative, Simple Suppers is indeed simple and would be very helpful to inexperienced chefs with simple palates who are trying to find their vegetarian "sea legs."

Dave
Jul 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not Worth the Money

The recipes we not restaurant menus! Very basic 2-3 ingredient things that any beginner cook could figure out without this book. The tofu recipes were unique, but otherwise, don't waste your money.
Elizabeth
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I heart this cookbook. It has the tasty, vegetarian foods that you love from Moosewood, but without the bjillion ingredients. I especially love the Indonesian Cabbage and Sweet Potato soup. I know it sounds funky, but it is soooo good!
Cynthia McCrain
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this cookbook! Someone at work recommended it to be and I bought the e-book and the hard copy. Everything I've made so far is very easy to make and tastes delicious! It's the best cookbook in my collection.
Vanessa
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
I've made three recipes from the book so far: potatoes with lemon & capers, broccolini cheddar melt, and spinach cheese burritos. We've loved them all! I'm reading a library copy but would like to own this one.
Kyle
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: delicious
I've used this book for every recipe I made this summer. It's that versatile. All the tastiness of a Moosewood cookbook, but the ingredient list doesn't read like a witch's potion. You can actually find the ingredients in a regular supermarket, and they're not too expensive.
Jenna
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Probably one of my favorite cookbooks ever, but then again it's pretty hard to go wrong with Moosewood. I will say that this book has more ingredients that I tend to keep around and so is easier for me to use!
Juneau Public Library
I read cookbooks when I can't concentrate on a plot. This particular cookbook is lovely to read and has lots of pretty pictures. Written by the folks at the Moosewood Restaurant, it focuses on recipes that are simple and easy to prepare for everyday dinners at home.

• Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe: Breakfast Served All Day
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • The Vegetarian Family Cookbook
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
  • Quick-Fix Vegetarian: Healthy Home-Cooked Meals in 30 Minutes or Less
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
  • The Minimalist Cooks Dinner: More Than 100 Recipes for Fast Weeknight Meals and Casual Entertaining
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
  • The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian
  • Bean By Bean: A Cookbook
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
The Moosewood Collective is a crew of fourteen women and five men. Some of us moonlight from Moosewood, and among us we have a broad range of interests and avocations. Our group comprises musicians, singers, dancers, actors, performers, mediators, meditators, activists, teachers, trainers, consultants, writers, gardeners, editors, poets, artists, quilters, calligraphers, martial arts instructors a ...more