Start by marking “Why Epossumondas Has No Hair on His Tail” as Want to Read:

(Epossumondas)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Epossumondas has a very important question: "Mama, why don't I have hair on my tail?"

And wouldn't you know it, Mama can tell him exactly why possum tails are all pink and naked and funny looking. Her story's a doozy! It goes way back to Epossumondas's great-great-grandpa, Papapossum. When hungry Papapossum and his growly ol' stomach meet up with wily Hare, cranky Bear, an
Published September 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Why Epossumondas Has No Hair on His Tail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Epossumondas Has No Hair on His Tail

D'Iberville Library
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a great little folk tale explaining how opossums got their tails.

Epossumondas notices how other creatures have big, bushy tails and is curious to know why opossums have naked tails. He crawls up in his (human) mama's lap and she tells him a tale of how his great-great-grandfather's actions changed opossum tails forever.

Highly recommended.
Anthony
One day while lollygagging on the porch, swinging in the swing, and thinking about tails, Epossumondas asked his mother why his tail had no hair. His mother told him the tale about how his great-great grandpa, Papapossum, lost his fluffy powder-puff tail while persimmon-picking from Bear's persimmon tree, and to this very day no possum has a fluffy powder-puff tail.
Amanda Wooden
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book absolutely adorable and children will love it. Very cute storyline as well as adorable illustrations. I feel like it also encourages children to learn about their heritage and how important it is to know about their heritage.
L13_Allison Safran
Why Epossumondas Has No Hair on His Tail written by Coleen Salley and illustrated by Janet Stevens is a creation myth about how the possum inherited his naked tale.

In my opinion, this is not my favorite creation myth. I have read many creation myths before that tell how animals or the Earth got their attributes, but I think this book took a strange approach.

Unlike many other creation myths, this story does not have a cultural association. Additionally, the animals in the story are all dressed
Melanie
A well-done retelling of the tale of how Possum ended up with no hair on his tail. Epossumondas asks Mama why and she tells him the story of how his great-great-great grandfather, Papapossum, was hungry for persimmons one day but couldn't find any. His friend Hare tells him that Bear has lots of persimmons because he planted persimmon trees. Well, Papapossum takes off for Bears orchard, heedless of the fact that Bear will be none-too-pleased to find that his persimmon orchard raided. Hare decide ...more
Ashley
Oct 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
While I was reading this book, especially in the beginning of the book when Epossumondas climbs up on his mother’s lap, it reminded me of the movie Fox and the Hound when fox is taken care of by that lady. I observed the fact that each animal is taken care of by a human and treated as if they are human or a child.
I enjoyed the illustrator’s use of clothing on the animals. I noticed that each animal’s clothing has pictures of what that animal would eat like Hare has carrots on his shirt and Bear
Alice
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-50-stars
2.5 stars My tongue tripped over itself trying to read this. I don't even think I said Epossumondas right once, and never Papapossum.

Why is the Possum wearing a diaper? And why does the older women have a possum with a diaper in her care that calls her mama?

The pictures were okay but I am just going to go with a one word description of the book....weird. but weird doesn't mean bad, it just means weird. I live in the part of the world where possums don't live so...maybe if I saw one up close I
GalindoLibrarian
Did not like as much as the 1st 2 books with Epossumondas as main character. A type of folk tale and I liked it, but didn't love the story. It would make a good read aloud, but as in the other books, the Mama and the baby possum are kind of a strange pair. And really, possums are mostly creepy and not that cute...
Chris Young
Jul 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Epossumondas learns why he has no hair on his tail. It has something to do with Papapossum getting caught in Bear's persimmon tree. Not my favorite Epossumondas story, but fans of these character will enjoy spending more time with them.
Rosa Cline
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very cute 'tall tale' of why a possum has the long furless tail they have. His Mama tells the child about his grandpa and what happened to his small furry 'bunny' tail. My 3 year old granddaughter and I enjoyed this storybook. Illustrations are nice as well.
Jenna
This book provides the reader with a funny, amusing tall tale of why possums have pink long tails that are not fluffy. I find Epossumondas to be a comical character, but his name sure is hard to repeat in his stories!
Lisa C
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Really fun to read (I like to use fun voices and a Southern accent for this one). Has a brer rabbit kind of feel to it. Tempted to give this one five stars but not sure it's one I would want to buy or not (which is sort of my criteria for five stars).
Irina
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fun story about why possums don't have hair on their tails like other animals. In this story, Epossumondas realizes that his tail is special and can be used for so many different things so it's ok that his tail if different from other animals.
Catherine
This particular Epossumondas story is a Pourquois tale about how opossums came to have hairless tailes. For me, it doesn't have the same energy or cleverness of the other Epossumondas stories.
Ronda
Mar 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great fun to read aloud. Nice to use in introducing some of the different types of folk tales--such as a pourquoi (why) tale.
Laura Molinario
Salley, Coleen
a silly kids story
Stacey
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's silly, and I won't pussyfoot around, the language is a hoot ;-) it's a great story to read aloud. Singing about persimmons in a southern sing song voice.
Megan
Jan 27, 2011
Noah Edwards
Mar 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
COLEEN SALLEY was a professor of children's literature for thirty years and now travels widely as a professional storyteller. A native of Louisiana, she lives in the French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Epossumondas (4 books)