Start by marking “A Teenager's Journey” as Want to Read:
A Teenager's Journey

A Teenager's Journey

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  842 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
This triumphant follow-up to his "New York Times" bestselling memoir "A Brother's Journey" chronicles Pelzer's heartbreaking teenage years as he struggled with the effects of childhood abuse and how a surrogate family offered him comfort and hope.
Published May 15th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Teenager's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Teenager's Journey

Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
I was extremely let down by this book. I read it when I was working with children who had experienced abuse and trauma. It seemed like the author spent more time justifying his actions and venting then he did telling his story.
Jean Cable
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
I thought he could have done a much better writing job, but it was a sad story.
Sep 08, 2010 rated it liked it
The Pelzer brothers have lead a hard life full of emotional and physical abuse. To show for it, they have written many books and have come out with amazing strength and wisdom. This book talks about Richard Pelzer's life during his teenage years and beyond, how he has fought with his self to let go and forgive his mother, and how to become a successful adult at the age of 30.
I thought it went around in circles a bit, but its a good book to read, you'll learn a lot. I would recommend an earlier
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What a powerful book. I don't really know what I was expecting to read when I ran across this book. It helped me more than anything understand people with a drug problem. I have never been involved in or even around it so I really enjoyed the look into what people go through and what kind of help I can be to those involved with drugs. I don't know how his Mom could be so abusive to him. I get emotional watching my son struggle at ANYTHING. I can't imagine being the cause of that struggle wh ...more
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was a good first hand account of how being abused can have an affect on a person.

Richard told his story from his emotions of how the physical and mental abuse affected his self - self being, self esteem. He also answered many questions that Dave left unanswered in his books.

Definitely recommend both of Richard's books.
Nov 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really moved me. It was very difficult to fathom that a mother who would abuse her own son in that way!! The book narrates the real life experience of the author Richard Pelzner, who survived what is now known as the one of the worst cases of child abuse in San Franscisco. The author writes about his experiments with drugs, emotionless physical relationships with girls and toying with the idea of killing himself more than once.

Despite the dark, haunting theme, the book stands out as a
Christian Singer
I highly recommend Richard Pelzer's A Teenager's Journey for those who struggle with drug or alcohol addiction, anyone who cares about an addict, anyone who feels lost and directionless and purposeless. It's just such a good read. If you like good books, get your hands on this one!

Richard's ups and downs in overcoming his addiction and the pain and suffering he endured captures readers' attention. I never had a drug addiction, but I'm ashamed to admit how much of his thinking sounds like things
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoirs
Unlike his brother Dave Pelzer's books, this isn't a graphic tale of abuse ending in imperfect triumph. Rather it is more about his journey to adulthood, which took the author longer than most due to his difficult childhood. There aren't any inspiriational plaudits or how-to instructions here, which only makes the tale all the more scary on how he got to where he is today.
LaRae Mikulecky
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
What a powerful book.
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but I found myself drifting at times, bit repetative at times.
Jul 26, 2010 added it
Shelves: wishlist
Couldn't finish the damn book becuase a chunk of pages was missing from the middle of it!!
Sep 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
honestly I wasn't moved by this at all. Talks about drugs, booze..doesn't sound too inspiring
Olivia Cakarun
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only read this for Advanced/Extension English but it was surprisingly a quick read and quite interesting!
Dec 06, 2007 marked it as to-read
This book is about abused little boy turning to a man by going through harsh life. It is true story written by Richard B. Pelzer, the main character himself. If you are unhappy with your life, maybe this is the right book to read. At first, it makes you very depressed and sad, but when you finish reading it, you will find your life very successful and blessed.
Since his elder brother left the house, Richard was his own mother’s target to abuse. He never felt love from his mother even though he
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: journals-memoirs
"It had to be me that was the deranged one. That must have been why I wanted to self destruct. It was me the whole time, not Mom. I was the one who caused her to become outraged. I knew that treat the other boys like that so it had to be me."

Perfect quote to sum up this book, this is a recall of the insanity that went on in the author's highly dysfunctional family and how he got out of it, both physically and emotionally.

Perhaps if you are trying to understand the mind of abused children then
Iluminada Garcia

A Teenagers Dream by Richard Pelzer is about a sorrowful story of Richard growing up with his abusive mom. I did take pleasure in this book, but it did make me feel helpless in a way that Richard was going through so much and no one could've helped. His mom abused him physically and verbally, she made him starve and if he got something to eat from the trash he was lucky. He had to clean the house and do all the chores while she drank alcohol. The characters did feel real to me but the fact that
Devi Balfas
"Tak ada yang berkesan di masa remajaku. Aku nyaris tak pernah menyukai apa pun yang kualami. Namun, suatu hari aku melihat malaikat, dan aku begitu tersentuh. Pertemuan itu membuatku meragukan niatku untuk bunuh diri. Wajah sang malaikat begitu penuh kedamaian hingga aku tak lagi yakin akan keputusan itu, ataupun hal lain."

Oke, nggak butuh waktu lama untuk menyelesaikan buku ini, karena memang ukurannya yang tipis dan karena bahasanya mudah dipahami sekalipun baca yang terjemahan.

buku ini ng
Siobhan Ryan
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it
The author, Richard Pelzer, is the brother of David Pelzer who authored the Child Called “It” series. This is the true story of the life of abuse and self destruction he lived after his brother David was moved into foster care. Most of the story is his about the horrible treatment received from his mother and his struggle with drug abuse and potential suicide. He knows that the life of drug abuse is wrong and hopes for someone to trust and help him. After several tries with sobriety, he finally ...more
There was a lot of depiction of drugs and alochol and sex in this story while Richard was a teen/young man which wasn't unexpected after the hell Richard went through at home but still not my cup of tea. I thought the conversation he had with his mother when he was 18 or so, when she couldn't recall just how abusive she was to her sons was so well done because it's so true to life. Richard could recall every terror of fear his mother installed in him while his mother, with her years of heavy dri ...more
Nov 02, 2007 rated it liked it
buku ini mencatat rentetan kejadian mengerikan dalam proses menuju kedewasaan yang dialami Richard Pelzer. mas aekcilnya hancur akibat siksaan keji dari ibunya yang alkoholik dan mengidap gangguan jiwa. masa muda Richard pun kian kacau ketika ia mulai mengenal dan menggunakan alkohol, narkobam dan melakukan seks bebas. gejolak emosi membara. keinginan untk bunuh diri pun menggelagar dalam dirinya ....
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
I had to skim through a lot of this book. It was so repetitive and most of the repetition was, then maybe justifiable, excuses for slipping back and slipping back again.
The novels of his brother, Dave, moved along much better. Maybe because I hadn't previously heard the story of horrific abuse.
Also one thing that Richard never really fesses up to is how he contributed to David's abuse.
I found this unconscionable.
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Pelzer had a troubled adolescence; he dealt with his traumatic childhood by turning to alcohol, drugs and sex. He overcomes this by finding his true self, with the aid of a number of people who really did put the time and effort in to help this troubled youth. It makes you really appreciative of great friends and family.
Mary Bronson
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book back in High School. After I read his brother's book "A Child Called It" I saw in the newrealse section Richard B. Pelzer first book about how Richard took the role of the forgotten child after his brother was free at last from their mother. This was such a powerful book about his struggle to find who he is and try to heal from all the scars that was put upon him.
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Richard is the Brother of Dave Pelzer. This book tells his story on what was going on with him while Dave was going though what he did. Very good book and well written for a easy read. If you have read Dave's book, read this one.
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
So heart rending to know how horrible the lives of some people have been. I was so drawn in by the story of this boy and all he had to endure at the hands of his mother. It's amazing he survived the abuse & then the guilt that he carried for so long.
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this, after reading A Child Named It, wanting to get some explanation about this woman's mental condition. Mostly this memoir focuses on the son's difficult journey to a meaningful life. A bit rambly, but important stuff.
Gable Roth
This was a pretty good book about finding oneself. It is true that the authors experiences are more extreme than most but it is a journey that we all must take in self discovery. I would recommend it to anyone who still feels as if they are on this journey.
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the people who read a brothers journey and to the people who read david pelzers 3 books.
It was really good.I really enjoyed it. but i didnt like all the parts that mentioned him doing countless drugs, a handful of motionless sex. my mom says that everyone single part was good! XD well i dont fully agree with it but yes i loved the book
Sep 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Have you read A Child Called It? This book is about the story of Dave's brother when Dave was taken out of their home. Shocking details that the monster that was their mother was also LDS. But you should read A Brother's Journey before you read A Teenager's Journey.
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs, own
A view from the brother of "A Child Called IT" - Dave Pelzer
a troubled teenager and her dad 2 2 Nov 30, 2016 01:28AM
  • Help Yourself: Finding Hope, Courage, and Happiness
  • After Silence: Rape & My Journey Back
  • Survive!: My Fight for Life in the High Sierras
  • Do-Over!: In Which a Forty-Eight-Year-Old Father of Three Returns to Kindergarten, Summer Camp, the Prom, and Other Embarrassments
  • Amarcord: Marcella Remembers
  • Peace Meals: Candy-Wrapped Kalashnikovs and Other War Stories
  • Corked
  • Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem
  • Easter Everywhere
  • Becoming Anna
  • To Live Until We Say Good Bye
  • Silent Sisters
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control
  • Promise Me Something
  • Crossing Mandelbaum Gate: Coming of Age Between the Arabs & Israelis 1956-78
  • The Butterfly Garden: Surviving Childhood on the Run with One of America's Most Wanted
  • The Self-Esteem Companion: Simple Exercises to Help You Challenge Your Inner Critic and Celebrate Your Personal Strengths
  • Don't Ever Tell: Kathy's Story: A True Tale of a Childhood Destroyed by Neglect and Fear

Nonfiction Deals