Start by marking “Hurting Distance (Spilling CID, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hurting Distance (Spilling CID, #2)

Hurting Distance

(Spilling CID #2)

Three years ago, something terrible happened to Naomi Jenkins - she told nobody. Now she has another secret - the man she has fallen in love with, unhappily married Robert Haworth. When he vanishes, Naomi knows he must have come to harm. But the police are less convinced, particularly when Robert's wife insists he's not missing.
Published August 23rd 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton

Start your review of Hurting Distance (Spilling CID, #2)
Zoeytron
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book on spec a couple of years ago and somehow it got shelved before getting read. I am not familiar with this author, but will be adding her books after finishing this review. This one was a British psychological thriller that I found riveting. Suspenseful? Definitely. Intricately plotted? You betcha. Dark? Oh, yeah.

What begins as a missing person case soon transitions into attempted murder and a hunt for a serial rapist. Full of serpentine turns and subtle twists,
Victoria Fullard
Spoilers in the below:

Individually, each of Sophie Hannah's books holds up well enough. They're not amazing, but they are entertaining. After reading three of her novels, though (including Little Face and the Wrong Mother), I'm frustrated with the pattern that's emerged. Hannah seems to think that all women are emotional idiots, unable to choose a boyfriend, husband, or even one night stand who won't ruin their lives. Women in her books are punished for sex routinely. Perhaps Sophie Hannah is a
Ian Mapp
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Number two from this author. That's not only a fact but also a fairly apt description.

Sophie Hannah comes with great reviews - not only from all the periodicals at the start of the book that seem to be falling over themselves but also the landlord himself, Al Murray, who name checked her in the Observer or times as a favorite last year.

This book follows along the lines of the first - alternating perspectives from 1st to 3rd - even the same set of police characters - not t
Ova - Excuse My Reading
One word to describe this book: Tense.

Naomi's psychology is mapped out cleverly. Background of Naomi's story we obviously are dying to know what will happen to Charlie and Simon. I can't tell which story was more attractive.

Very beautifully knotting two stories together, this is a book you won't be able to drop from your hands until you finish..
Wendi Lee
I wasn't that fond of the first Spilling CD book, Little Face, but I'm glad I stuck with this series, because Hurting Distance was great! I can see now how the fractured relationship between Detective Waterhouse and Sergeant Zailer, annoying but necessary in the first book, leads to the great and spawling drama in this one. And what a mystery!

Tricia
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Truth-Teller's Lie: A Novel previously published as Hurting Distance by Sophie Hannah

Naomi Jenkins is having an affair with Robert Haworth. After he misses a scheduled tryst night, she assumes something bad has happened to him. After an unsuccessful attempt to find him at home, she involves the police.

At first, I found Naomi to be an annoying nut bag. Her character is unlikeable and irritating and I was actually put off the story for the first several chapters. But, as the story progressed
Joanne Parkington
Apr 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
What on earth is Sophie Hannah's problem with her own species? A more misogynistic read you will struggle to find ... Our main protagonist is a feeble minded imbecile with the IQ of a five year old and the libido of a horny teen! Not only does she spend half her time drooling after Simon, a member of her own team, she also let's the rest of the male's talk to her like a piece of shit! Jane Tennison would have had their ball's for breakfast from page 1 never mind by page 286. She screw's her own ...more
Terry Gibson
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ve always enjoyed reading novels by good female authors and now I can add another one; this time, a thriller writer. My daughter has sent me a book by Sophie Hannah ‘Hurting Distance’; a thoughtful, disturbing, complex psychological crime novel. It is Sophie Hannah’s second book. Am I now a Sophie Hannah fan? You bet I am, can’t wait to get my hands on some more!
I was completely hooked from the first page, couldn’t put it down! I particularly liked Detective Sergeant Charlie (Charlotte) Zaile
Marietta
Jun 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Please remind me to never read this author again.
Glenda Bixler
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
Is there a genre for literary weird? Let's see what the police said: "Circles within circles, that's what it is. We're chasing our tails! Look at that big, black blob....it now resembled a morbidly obese spider--a huge black mass of lines, arrows, circles, loops. The shape of chaos." (p. 319)

If you wants twists and turns and surprises in your psychological suspense novels, it is safe to say, you will thoroughly enjoy Hannah's latest mystery.

I was happily reading the autho
Maddy
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
RATING: 4.25

There's a very fine line between infatuation, deep and abiding love, and obsession. Most people would agree that each share some common characteristics: a constancy of emotion, placing the loved one as a central focus in one's life and a sense of a world that belongs only to the two intimates. It's a short jump from those very normal feelings to what could be characterized as obsessive love, wherein the need for the other becomes almost pathological.

That's where Naomi Je
Yune
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: suspense
Why would a woman be desperate to report missing a man she claims raped her?

Much of the book is written from her first-person perspective, as though she's addressing the aforementioned man. I have a weakness for books that use "you" casually and provocatively: "I could explain, if you were here to listen." And Hannah does explain, but I didn't feel satisfied by the explanation at all, even though it tucks in quite neatly and every detail and coincidence is accounted for. I had a sour
Martha
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an engrossing novel! The complexities of the psyche were very well done. I take my hat off to you Sophie Hannah, this was superb! I can't wait to read more of your novels!
Diane S ☔
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very good dark, twisty psychological novel by Hannah.
Tasha
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

This one kept me totally reading and engaged. The content was pretty tough at times but the thrill aspect of it was high. I'm hooked on this series. Looking forward to #3.
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

Hurting Distance is the second book in the long running Spilling CID series. I recently listened to the author's first book Little Face which I enjoyed, after listening to Hurting Distance I am now a firm fan of the series.

The plot was beautifully crafted, but far fetched. When Naomi Jenkins accused Robert of rape to make the police investigate his disappearance, I rolled my eyes and thought WTF.

I don't want to issue any spoilers but as the st
Alex Ankarr
Feb 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no
Vile. I probably mis-quote John Wyndham describing a series of nasty sadistic thrillers in Random Quest, 'one has a choice of subject material'. And I'm judging Sophie Hannah for hers. Nasty.
Sam Still Reading
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crime fans
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: blog review
I can’t resist a bargain. $10 for a paperback is a bargain to me, so I bought this copy after reading the glowing reviews for Sophie Hannah on Novel Insights. At the demise of my local Borders store, I picked up another Hannah book (why were there so many left?), thinking that if I didn’t enjoy this book, I’d give the other to my mother. No chance, I really enjoyed Hurting Distance and plan to read the entire series.

Don’t stop reading at the mention of the word ‘series’. These books
Laurel-Rain
The opening lines of The Truth-Teller’s Lie are in the form of a letter to a survivor’s website, signed NJ.

We soon learn that the writer is Naomi Jenkins, and some time before, she was raped in a particularly cruel way. And she never reported it.

But now her life is all about a man named Robert Haworth, whom she met a while after the rape, and whom she didn’t tell about her experience. But he meets her every Thursday in a motel where they went the first time they were toge
Cláudia
I was very curious about this book, I bought it because all the Amazon reviews were so good, and I'm always looking for new, good thriller authors.

I hated Naomi from the start. Was that a bad sign? ;) She did nothing to gain my simpathy. She was raped 3 years ago, in a strange and sinister ritual, and hasn't told anyone what happened. Now she thinks she's happy, she's tottaly in love with Robert, a very strange guy, in my opinion. Besides being strange, he's also married, and they o
Paul Pessolano
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very unusual book, in not only content, but also in presentation. It will be enjoyed by those who enjoy an English mystery that has many twists and turns throughout the book. It is very detailed in plot and characters.

The story centers on Naomi Jenkins. She has fallen in love with the unhappily married Robert Haworth. Robert has disappeared and Naomi goes to the police for help. The police, knowing the situation, do not put much effort into finding Robert. Naomi, in despera
Becky
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know whether to give this one or two stars. I did finish it, but did not like it at all. Didn't like the characters, the police characters were a little hard to follow. At first I couldn't tell if Naomi was a complete nut job or just stupid- but then she started being described as "very intelligent" so I think the author just wanted you to believe she was so love sick. Once I decided I did not like this book at all, the violence was completely senseless, and it was extremely violent. It ...more
Mariella Deliyannis
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent psychological suspense novel with such twists and turns but with everything blending and becoming one coherent story in the end! At first I was surprised and bored with the first person narrative (it is one of my pet-peeves, this, first person narrative) but as the story progressed I overlooked it as the storytelling became more and more clear. Sime readers are caustic about the choices of the people in the book but we all make mistakes in various parts of our lives and nobody said ...more
Naomi
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read numerous books by Sopie Hannah and this, hands down, is her best. Incredibly twisted and leaves the reader going "HUH? WTH?" Can't ask more out of a good book. I am dying to see how this ends because I am not thinking with how close I am to being done, that it is going to end well. 4.5/5
Barbara Nutting
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would have titled this book “Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire”. This is Book 2 in the series - because of graphic sex and vile language it lost a star! She still kept me reading to find out what happened as it bobs and weaves through rape after rape. Closed the book at 3:30 am Daylight Savings Time!!
Marguerita Gomez
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love that this book was utterly unpredictable, right to the very end. I had never read any of Hannah's work before and a chance encounter of this book at a charity event has been the best thing to happen this month.

Alarmed when her married lover, Robert Haworth, does not show up for their weekly rendezvous, Naomi Jenkins waits a few days before doing something she promised Robert she would never do. Things take one insane turn after the other, as Jenkins and Haworth's jilted wife -
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another gripping read by Sophie Hannah. Despite the difficult subject of the book, Hannah has done a good job to weave a complex plot and pull it off, and I found it hard to put down. There were plenty of twists in this story, just like in 'Little Face' and 'The Other Half Lives', and I just wanted to finish it.

Naomi Jenkins goes to DS Zailer and DC Waterhouse to report her married boyfriend missing, after he fails to turn up for their weekly meeting at the Traveltel at Rawndesley East Services
Annabelle
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie Hannah, the author is 40, and a fellow UK psychological thriller author, Tara French, recommends this book with a quote on the cover. Maybe there is a generation of young women UK authors who know how to spin a tale with shifts of point of view, non linear time lines, and glimpses at terror from trauma in the human psyche. One woman, Naomi, makes sundials for a living after becoming rich selling a font she designed to adobe as a university student. Her chapters are in first person, and sh ...more
Batsap
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm in love with way Sophie Hannah writes. I want to devour her words, they're so beautiful.
I couldn't put this book down, I read it in about a day. Every time I got to the end of a chapter and thought that I should really stop, my eye would drift to the opening sentence of the next chapter and I'd have to carry on. I had to know what happened next.
I love how all her characters are flawed and strange and neurotic. They're cruel and awkward to one another and things are never the way that
Lynne Lowe
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery and psychological thriller fans who enjoy a story with lots of twists and turns.

• Le vrai Michael Swann (Thrillers)
  • The Point Of Rescue
  • Surface
  • Song of the Dead (DI Westphall #1)
  • Interrogating Ellie
  • Thousand Pieces of Gold
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • Complot
  • Flight #116 Is Down!
  • Equation for Evil
  • The Voyage
  • Falling Out of Fashion
  • The Pirate's Daughter
  • The Legacy (The Declaration, #3)
  • The Returners
  • Acts of Faith
  • Lady Saves The Duke (Lord Love a Lady #3)
Sophie Hannah is an internationally bestselling writer of psychological crime fiction, published in 27 countries. In 2013, her latest novel, The Carrier, won the Crime Thriller of the Year Award at the Specsavers National Book Awards. Two of Sophie’s crime novels, The Point of Rescue and The Other Half Lives, have been adapted for television and appeared on ITV1 under the series title Case Sensiti ...more

Spilling CID (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Little Face (Spilling CID, #1)
  • The Wrong Mother (Spilling CID, #3)
  • The Other Half Lives (Spilling CID, #4)
  • A Room Swept White (Spilling CID, #5)
  • Lasting Damage (Spilling CID, #6)
  • Kind of Cruel (Spilling CID, #7)
  • The Carrier (Spilling CID, #8)
  • Pictures Or It Didn't Happen (Spilling CID, #8.5)
  • Woman with a Secret (Spilling CID, #9)
  • The Next to Die (Spilling CID, #10)