Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Vol. 6: This Sorrowful Life” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Vol. 6: This Sorrowful Life

The Walking Dead, Vol. 6: This Sorrowful Life

(The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) #6)

Trapped in a town surrounded by madmen, Rick must find a way out or die trying. Meanwhile, back at the prison, the rest of the survivors come to grips with the fact Rick may be dead, and a major turning point in the series is reached. Collects issues #31-#36.
Comics, 144 pages
Published April 11th 2007 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Vol. 6, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Niko gray
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Every time a write a review for one of these comics, I seem to mention that another level has been breached. And that’s because it’s completely true. This one descended even further into depravity.

In the past we’ve had lots of violence, mutilation, torture and even rape. These have become almost casual things, trademarks of everyday life. In this crazy world this stuff happens every day. I hesitate to say that it’s normal, it’s not normal, but in a zombie apocalypse anything goes. There are no
Alejandro
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Woodbury is all around us!

This is the fifth volume of the softcover editions of "The Walking Dead", collecting the comic book issues from #31 to #36.

Creative Team:

Writer: Robert Kirkman

Illustrators: Charlie Adlard

Additional gray tones to inking: Cliff Rathburn

Chapter Six

THIS SORROWFUL LIFE

Don’t you know what people is capable of?!

Rick, Michonne and Glenn are trapped in Woodbury.

And each one of them...

...they never would be the same anymore!

Woodbury will leave scars too deep to heal, outsi
Brad
There is a redress going on in modern popular culture with which I am fascinated. Rape tales, tales of torturing women, tales of violence against women have been told for years with graphic detail. Many of these tales have been saying (either explicitly or implicitly) that these brands of violence are wrong or even evil, but many of them still offer up the vision of this violence to illustrate the wrongs and evils.

Now a redress has come, and we have Lisbeth Salander avenging herself on her torme
Tina Haigler
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This volume was full of action and suspense. We got to see a whole different side to Michonne, someone new joined the group, and of course, there's some death. Honestly I think my favorite parts in these last few volumes (especially this one) is the lack of Rick wife's. She's makes a few appearances, but it's minimal, and I am ever so grateful. Considering this one wrapped up a story arc to begin a new one, I am curious what the next volume will bring.
Coreen  (AsThePlotThickens)
"we just need to be sure that when they get here. We're ready for them."

Okay I'm liking this one, some scenes were gruesome but most were cool. I'm excited to see what will happen on the next TWD volume.

description
Becky
Heh... Every time I see or hear the phrase "or die trying" (such as the one in the description for this volume) I can't help but think of The Boondocks and how the show makes fun of 50 Cent. Observe: "Mumble mumble something. ...Or die tryin'."

Not that that really has anything to do with this volume. It's just early, I haven't had coffee yet, and reading the description of this book to refresh my memory as to what happened (from sooooooooooooooo long ago - aka: last night), and it made me think
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a volume! Things got really crazy in these episodes! I loved it. I love how we are finally learning more about the characters as we're actually getting a great insight into them now. I've tried to not get too attached to anyone because I'm pretty sure Robert Kirkman will kill whoever he wants to but I can't help it! (view spoiler)

I still have my concerns with this comic and it's representation of women but I hope Alice will be sane and that wil
Fables&Wren
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WrensReads Review:

WHAT A COME BACK.

The last two issues have not been my cup of tea.. but this one slapped me across the face.

Remember The Governor?

And how he believes that he is the biggest bad in the world and things only go his way because he is boss man and he is god? Well, let's just say, he hasn't seen the goddess of war and destruction before. And she will make him rue the day

..and that isn't even the worst of it.

THIS ISSUE HAS THE MOST GORE AND TORTURE SO FAR, so please of please do not
Ryan Buckby
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it
First Read: February 28th 2016
Re-read: May 29th 2019

so violent! i love the comics but jesus this issue was the most violent one yet but i can just imagine it will get worse from here on.

But this comic i can finally see a nice rhythm going on, i'm starting to learn more about each character individually and these characters are starting to mean something to me it feels like they're new friends.

the pace of the comics is going very well, this volume seemed shorter than the other ones
Ayman Gomaa
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This volume was really good and alittle bit crazy xD but i loved it
- Michonne took her revenge " revenge is a dish best served cold " she was sadist but he deserve it anyway and it teach us never make a girl with a sword mad or u probably will regret it xD :)
- Rick start to lose his humanity and feels like a savage but well thats the kind of world he live into now
- Glenn that was my fav part even with this shit crazy stuff happening we can see romance that makes us believe that life should go
Sam Quixote
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rick, Glenn and Michonne remain the captives of the sadistic Governor, the leader of a small enclosed community. But help is on hand as one of the Governor’s guards helps them escape and head back home to the prison. Will they all make it back – or die trying?

I really, really enjoyed this one! I flew through it in one sitting, and it’s a cliché but the pages couldn’t turn fast enough. Everything from the lead-up to the breakout, the escape through the forest, the drive back to the prison, and f
Darren Hagan
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
BRUUUUTAL :') Moral of the story: do not piss off a woman who knows how to wield a sword haha.
Kimberley doruyter
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
this one seemed shorter then the rest.
Justin
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
I’m starting to realize that Walking Dead is one of those series that boasts a large number of fans that are oblivious to or are willing to look past its flaws. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, but it is what it is. The universal acclaim that these books get seems to be at odds with some of the problems it has, especially by this point in the series. This volume, simply put, isn’t put together very well, and isn’t much fun to read. Spoilers ahead.

The issues in this collection continue to chron
Gabby
God damn, a lot of shit went down in this volume. A lot of graphic, gory shit. Rick is quickly losing his trust in humanity and I totally see why. I can feel Lori and Rick's relationship slowly getting worse and worse. I really loved most of this volume but there is one thing that kind of disappointed me and I can't really talk about that without giving spoilers. But damn, I am obsessed with these comics now. I'm hooked and I probably won't stop reading them until I'm caught up.

SPOILERS BELOW
So.
Anthony Chavez
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
HUGE turning point in the story here, from volume 5 to volume 6 so much happens to change the groups dynamic at the prison.

Glenn, Rick, and Michonne were locked up at Woodbury when they find a few sympathizers who don't like "The Governor" and his crazy ways either. So they decide when everybody is distracted to get outta Dodge and escape. Without giving too much away they make it back to their prison safehouse only to find things vastly different from how they left AND that one of them isn't wh
Joe
Jul 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who loved 28 Days Later
If you're like me, one of your deeply-held beliefs is that the only problem with zombie movies is that they come to an end. With that in mind, Robert Kirkman has given us "The Walking Dead", a series which tells the ongoing story of an eclectic group of people trying to live in a world now ruled by the dead.

Kirkman's introduction says it best:
"How many hours are in a day when you don't spend half of them watching television? When is the last time any of us REALLY worked to get something we wan
Ilana
This is the most brutal and violent entry in the series so far, which is saying a lot considering the subject matter. Rick and two survivors venture out and find another community run by a sadistic “Governor” who tortures them to find out about the whereabouts of their prison so they can take over the dwellings and all it has to offer including food, weapons and reasonable safety from the zombies. The violence this man is capable of and the retribution it inspires is worse than anything we’ve se ...more
Sooraya Evans
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This volume follows Rick, Glenn and Michonne as they escape from Woodbury. A random henchman of the Governor suddenly offers to help them. Hmm, too good to be true if you ask me. The elaborate scene where Michonne tortures the Governor was downright disturbing. Damn! That's something you can't unsee.
Jennifer Girard
4.5

This will be my most coherent review ever... Ready?

Whoa... What? but... What?

Yeah...

More seriously, it was one of my favorite (if not my favorite)!
Chloe
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Just a quick warning to say that this review contains spoilers for The Walking Dead: The Best Defense!

If I am being honest, I just do not seem to be enjoying The Walking Dead any more, but I am determined to continue with it, as it definitely has the potential to improve. And I am actually quite glad that I am, as this volume demonstrated that it is certainly possible for the story to get better and become interesting once again.

In The Best Defense, Rick and some members of his gang found themse
Rebecca Schuster
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
My first three-star rating for a book of the Walking Dead series.
... It is not that it is a bad book. Not at all. It is really breath-takingly thrilling and again has some great cliffhangers even within the book.

However, all in all this volume was far too "Hostel" for my taste (and I never watched the movie for a very good reason! The trailer was already hard enough to bear).
Of course, the reader (the female one especially) is pleased to see that Michonne gets her revenge for the sufferings sh
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
Alondra
5 Stars

Sure, maybe it should be 4 or 4.5; but I don't think so. Michonne's payback on the governer in the comics, is wwaayyy better than the t.v. show. Hell, it probably wasn't enough.

I love the insight into the characters, without it being a long drawn-out speech. We learn about them in fits and starts; and just enough. We start to see their motivations with each scenario that plays out.

Jordan
Jun 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
This volume wraps up the very lackluster Governor story. Michonne gets an entire gratuitous issue to exact torturous revenge with all manner of sharp instruments, but everyone else is just spinning their wheels and I am left struggling to find a reason to be interested in these people anymore.
Kim
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies-invade
The zombie apocalypse is freakin scary! And I am not talking about the zombies man! The people are insane! I would have to say after reading 36 issues that I LOVE the show more so than the comics. The comics are freaking me out!
Nicole Alycia
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
They have really toned down the characters in the show.... these guys are seriously messed up.
Dimitarsdim
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fuck yes! The previous two volumes lacked intensity and thrill for me, but this one gave me what I wanted! 4.25stars!

SPOILERS BELOW
This volume was very enjoyable and satisfying. I think I will give it 4.25 stars (highest one yet)
The best thing that occurred in the volume was Michonne's vengeance. That's what I was waiting for. Brutal, savage and very Michonne-like. I thought her characterization lacked and highly contrasted with her character in the TV show which I wasn't pleased with. Although
Terry Mcginnis
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another solid volume. This is one of the most consistently good series I've read. If only the show were this good...(or good at all).
Marta
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one is about escape, trust, revenge. Still awesome. Minus one star for extra cruelty and the change in Michonne's character. I just dug her the way she was.

• Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)
  • Revival, Vol. 4: Escape to Wisconsin
  • Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes
  • American Vampire, Vol. 3
  • Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands
  • Head Games (Locke & Key, #2)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 2: Dark Days
  • The Boys, Volume 4: We Gotta Go Now
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombie Comics
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 5: Ghost Town
  • The Goon, Volume 3: Heaps of Ruination

The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 8: Made to Suffer
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 9: Here We Remain
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 10: What We Become
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 11: Fear the Hunters
“Our fine Governor called me here to ask me to talk to you--said you didn't seem too happy here. He knows we're pals. He wanted me to just--I don't know, make sure you weren't going to cause any trouble or something.” 1 likes