Start by marking “The Best of Down Goes Brown: Greatest Hits and Brand New Classics-To-Be from Hockey's Most Hilarious Blog” as Want to Read:

The greatest hits from the world's largest--and most hilarious--hockey humour blog Hundreds of thousands of hockey fans around the world are addicted to Down Goes Brown, and with good reason: Sean McIndoe is the funniest writer in hockey. His often insightful, always entertaining posts have made the site one of the top hockey blogs in the world--and definitely the most amu ...more
Published September 17th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published August 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Down Goes Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Down Goes Brown

Christine
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Had to pick the time of the day/night to read this, as my uncontrollable laughter would wake The Husband up from a sound sleep. Sean McIndoe is incredibly hilarious! Any NHL fan would find much to laugh at in this book.
Chris
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, hockey, humor, done
Good collection of humorous hockey writing - unfortunately, it really doesn't stand the test of time (six years) that well.
Shoshana
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
New material + old favorites = Stanley Cup!
Love DGB, love his blog, love this book.
Jānis
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
New articles are as hilarious as the previously published ones. Definitely a recommended read to any NHL fans - great humor from best in the business.
C.E. Murray
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it, but am only a casual hockey fan, so many of the references to actual players went way over my head. I got the broad jokes, though.
Neil
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Honestly, in terms of content, this book probably should've been a 3-star. Most of the articles are copied directly from the website with no further editing aside from a few fixed typos (though the new ones added for this book are quite good). The articles in the book have the same strengths (attention to detail, incredible memory for hilarious moments in hockey) and weaknesses (a bit too reliant on bait-and-switch jokes).

But in a sport where the current standard for reporting seems to encourage
Brent Venton
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
At times hysterical, the thing I like most about this compendium of Sean McIndoe's hockey humour blogs is that you really, REALLY need to be hockey fan to fully enjoy the numerous small jokes that prop up the main thrusts of the articles. Being also of a similar vintage as the author, many of the touchstones that clearly stand out in his hockey-fan consciousness are the same as mine and he reaps those events relentlessly and mercilessly. Only drawbacks are sometimes the jokes get a little too cu ...more
Douglas McLeod
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If I told you there was a book combining hockey and comedy, you'd think of Gary Betteman's autobiography. However, instead of a tome about the NHL commissioner, we get this delightful romp from the creator of the "Down Goes Brown" blog, Sean McIndoe.

Each chapter is a slap shot to the funny bone as every page is a laugh riot for everyone who enjoys the fastest game on ice. If you're a novice to the game or an aging veteran, this book entertains the reader from cover-to-cover. I highly recommend i
Stefan Percy
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any hockey fan with a sense of humour!
Oh, this was such a good read. I have been a DGB fan for some time now. I remember reading some of these on the website. It was so nice to have them all in one place.

As I typically read late at night once my wife has gone to bed, I had to be careful while reading parts of this book as I would start to laugh out loud.

If you are a hockey fan, with a good sense of humour, this is something you might want to pick up and read.
Beata
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a die-hard Ottawa Senators fan, leafs fans in Ottawa are pretty much my least favourite people. As someone who also likes the Canucks, the jokes in this book should not amuse me. And yet, DGB's sense of humor, often at the expense of certain teams, players or fanbases, never failed to make me laugh, and only crossed the line a few times. This totally-true mocking of the NHL is a must read for any hockey fan.
Keelin Rita
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aty2016, own, ebook
Definitely more of a 4.5. This book is funny and highly entertaining while also being somewhat informative. I think my only reasoning for the 4.5 instead of 5 would be that it was pretty repetitive. Still think that this is way more for current hockey fans than new fans as it is very sarcastic and full of *wink wink* mentions that don't get explained.
Evan Kirby
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
For my money there is nobody funnier when it comes to online hockey bloggers than Sean McIndoe (aka Down Goes Brown). His Twitter feed is constantly smart and funnelled through his unique humour. Anyways, the book is exactly that and captures his humour expertly in a bunch of different types of lists and entries, made to be picked up and re-read when you have a minute or two.
Judy
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
When I first got this book I leafed through it and laughed at loud at several stories. When I sat down to actually read it later it wasn't as funny or as entertaining as I first thought. It is still good for some giggles and snorts. The book is timely though, in a few years after the players have changed it won't be as entertaining.
David
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
For the really knowledgable fan, "the Best of Down Goes Brown" is a treat. McIndoe is sharp and on the money without resorting to the a lot of the smartass comments one endures when watching many sportscasts. I liked it and will start to follow his blog on an ongoing basis.
Chelsea Lewis
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you like hockey, and have a sense of humor, you HAVE to read this book. So good you'll be laughing at jokes about your own team, even if you don't wanna be. Literally a laugh out loud book. Can't wait to read more Down Goes Brown.
Bill
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you love hockey and love to laugh, and you don't have this book then something is wrong with you. This is a must have for any hockey fan. DGB has such witty and smart humor, loved reading every page.
Chris Scott
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Reminded me of Jim Gaffigan's book. Read the first half in a couple of days and limped through the rest. The jokes get a bit repetitive and formulaic. Overall pretty solid though.
Victoria
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hockey humor at its best, and it's something I can read over and over again.
Sara
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It was great. I love hockey and humour, and this book perfectly combined the two.
Jay Ranton
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A+, would lol again.
Nicole Maxim
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great humorous read about the NHL, something to get you through the lockout. Definitely check out the author's blog its worth the time
Melanie Ting
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hockey
Completely hilarious. Except for the parts about the Vancouver Canucks, which for some reason, I did not find funny at all.
Simon Harper
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sean McIndoe is one of the very best hockey writers around, and definitely the funniest. This is an essential read for hockey fans, packed with great jokes and insightful analysis.
Delvin Hut
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you are a hockey fan, then you must own this book!
Karyn
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
A must read for any hockey fan! Made me laugh out loud in parts, except for the parts where he dissed Sidney Crosby and Matt Cooke. However, the rest of it was pretty funny!
Henrik Löfqvist
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
McIndoe never ceases to amaze me with his humour. Fun and entertaining throughout, even the ones you've read on his site already.
Simon
Oct 16, 2012
Michael
May 07, 2017
  • Hockey Confidential: Inside Stories from People Inside The Game
  • Breakaway: From Behind the Iron Curtain to the NHL--The Untold Story of Hockey's Great Escapes
  • J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless, and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey
  • The Code (Brad Shade, #1)
  • Crossing the Line: The Outrageous Story of a Hockey Original
  • Cornered: Hijinks, Highlights, Late Night and Insights
  • A Guy Like Me: The John Scott Story
  • One Night Only: Conversations with the NHL's One-Game Wonders
  • The Crazy Game
“1995: The Hollywood Squares becomes incredibly dull and ratings plummet during the years after special guests Jacques Lemaire and Lou Lamoriello develop a strategy that involves never doing anything except going for the block.” 0 likes