Start by marking “Fabricated: 3D Print Everything from Body Parts to Bicycles... to Dinner” as Want to Read:
Fabricated: 3D Print Everything from Body Parts to Bicycles... to Dinner

Fabricated: 3D Print Everything from Body Parts to Bicycles... to Dinner

"Fabricated "tells the story of 3D printers, humble manufacturing machines that are bursting out of the factory and into schools, kitchens, hospitals, even onto the fashion catwalk. "Fabricated "describes our emerging world of printable products, where people design and 3D print their own creations as easily as they edit an online document.

A 3D printer transforms digital i
Published December 25th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published November 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fabricated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fabricated

Start your review of Fabricated: 3D Print Everything from Body Parts to Bicycles... to Dinner
John
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read. This technology seems to be on the cusp of "consumer" readiness. Just like computers were not so long ago. This book is not a "how to" it's more concerned with the cultural changes this technology could cause. It opened my mind to some issues that I had not considered. I recommend it to everyone, not just the so called "geek" stereotype.
Ganesh Sanal
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: futurists
Shelves: non-fiction
Full disclosure: I am an engineer that works with 3D printers. So I belong to the 'geek sterotype'

It was Ok-ish. I had high hopes when I chose this book but most of the things discussed in this book were boring. The content is well shelved but the writing was irritating. The book could have been really short and interesting if he could control his ramble. Nevertheless, I did learn some new concepts so it was not a complete waste.
J.R. Sedivy
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3d-printing
Imagine a book that could introduce you to the world of 3D printing and open your mind to the possibilities this technology could unleash. Imagine a book that educates and entertains. Now Imagine a book that that you can't put down yet you constantly stop to reread so as to fully grasp the implications of the authors' statements.

The preceding captures the essence of Fabricated. Fabricated is one of those rare books that unleashes your imagination while educating. The writing is like storytellin
Ninakix
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2015
I wasn't super optimistic about this book when I picked it up, but I was actually pleasantly surprised: these guys really know what they're talking about! They describe how 3D printing compares to manufacturing techniques today, and where it might go in the future. My favorite thing is the way the book is outlined: a short chapter on each subject, covering a wide variety of different aspects of 3D printing. All in all, a really great introduction to the topic!
Darnell
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Too breathless and too much of an advertisement in places; I don't think this book will hold up very well over time. Having said that, if you want a snapshot of what can currently be done with 3D printing and what is likely to develop in the near future, this book does a good job covering that.
Phoenix
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
The Fab Forge

I recently had the pleasure of hearing Professor Lipson speak at the Toronto Mini Maker Faire a the end of September. The basic idea of 3D printing is that just as you can print a wide range of images in 2D in paper, using inexpensive hardware and a suitable feed of material you should be able to automatically copy or generate any object in 3 dimensions as well. The caveat is... in theory. We're not there yet. But the hardware is now at an affordable price point for hobbyists (low e
Steve
This is a highly detailed and enjoyable account of 3D printing as of 2013 (the field is fast moving). In contrast to SOONISH by the Weinersmiths (which I have reviewed previously), this book is much more technically oriented - which I prefer although others do not. Conversely, compared to Neil Gershenfeld's FAB (which I have also reviewed), this book is much more oriented towards the specifics of 3D printing and its myriad forms.

At the start, the book makes - to use the phrase of academic resea
Drone
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabricated tells the story of 3D printers, humble manufacturing machines that are bursting out of the factory and into homes, businesses, schools, kitchens, hospitals, even the fashion catwalk. The magic happens when you plug a 3D printer stampa 3d into today's mind-boggling digital technologies stampante 3d stampante 3d. Add to that the Internet, tiny, low cost electronic ...more
Timeo Williams
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hod does an awesome job of outlining the current state of 3D printing and delving into each probable possibility this tool can be applied to. For those interested in learning about additive manufacturing, I highly recommend this read.
Ron Stoop
Decent introduction to the world of 3d printing. Most of it is clearly surface level discussion, and the book might a little dated by now (2013) but in the end the author did succeed in illuminating the concepts.
Kbord
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabricated by Hod Lipson and Melba Kurman is a fascinating book that takes a look at not only the art, but the possible future implications of 3-D printing. The book itself merits 4 or 5 stars.

It's amazing to see what researchers are doing with 3-D printing right now, in its infancy.

I really love the possible-future scenarios described in the book. They actually seem plausible, most of them. And the smart-design tools and the possibilities they present? Amazing to consider.

I also enjoyed the dis
Tao
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a comprehensive introduction to the 3D Printing technology and its implications to our lives, the business models, and our laws in the future. The authors obviously wrote the book to pitch 3D Printing, yet it sometimes feels a little to optimistic, if not utopian. The success and widespread adoption of 3D Printing lies in three key conditions, as many future scenarios depicted in this book suggest. First, the cost of 3D printing will be sufficiently lowered while its efficiency suff ...more
Roger K.
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an ideal introduction to the current state of 3D printing and a great read. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about 3D printing, yet learned a lot from this book. The authors do a great job of surveying both the technology itself and its impact in various areas.

Surprisingly, the authors have a relatively restrained view of the impact of 3D printing. They view it as highly disruptive, yet don't see it as a panacea for all of humanity's ills. The coverage of design software is es
Annie
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
A low-tech and basic introduction to 3D printing. I did find a glaring error in which the author says "PLA can be used for support material and, since it’s water soluble, can be rinsed off with water (not solvents) and reused." This is not true, PLA is not water soluble, I think he meant PVA, but this error makes me question the credibility of other statements asserted by the book. As an introduction to 3D printing, it's accessible to non-tech people. It did provide me with many more resources t ...more
Loretta Micheals
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Loretta by: Loretta Micheals
Excellent coverage of the subject. Lipson provides enough detail to help you understand the science behind the technology without overwhelming you with techno babble. He covers many aspects of additive manufacturing including present abilities, the future, types of materials, the potential effect on the world economy, new business models, legal issues and more. I found the chapter on medical possibilities to be the most fascinating.
Tomi Dufva
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Tries to describe the field of 3d-printing in broad terms and the ideologies behind it. And succeeds fairly well. I think that writers fall to be victim of optimism and a but of fanboyism and vecause od that fail to see the some of the things in objective light. All in all recommendable book with lots of great insights.
Melanie Allen
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to people newly interested in the topic, because it is accessible to those who have only heard of 3D printing; but it can also benefit anyone wanting a thorough understanding of the implications of 3D printing. It’s an excellent survey of what we learned about printing in 2013.
Alex
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great overview of the 3D printing industry. Highly recommended for those looking to gain an understanding of the technology's origins, its present applications, and the future societal ramifications of additive manufacturing. It's hard not to get excited when reading about the possibilities such as solar sintering and bioprinting. Enjoy!
Amber
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting account of the history of 3D printing, where it is now, and where it might be going. It made me realize how broad this concept is! Made me excited for the future, and made me want to be involved in 3D printing as a very real and very promising trend going into the future (3D printed houses? Super materials? Fully operating robots? Batteries? Human organs?)
Sarah Brubaker
This is a fascinating subject, and what I read of the book was very informative. Unfortunately, there's SO much information in this book that I couldn't handle it all at once. If I had more specific questions about 3D printing, this would be an invaluable recourse. As is, I was able to get a good general understanding from skimming.
Philski
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book on the current state of the art, the span of 3d printing, and what the future may hold. Examples mostly look to university projects, the only disappointment I had was I was hoping to hear more about the commercial sector, but that doesn't take away from the work presented.
Steve
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an interesting overview of the whole rapidly-evolving field. There isn't much specific detail in any one area. If you've looking for an overview of the field: perfect. If you want to start editing 3D designs - probably not the book for you.
Jaigirlmi
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic look at past, present and future of additive manufacturing. Informative as well as highly accessible. (Yeah. I know review sounds vague, but i don't want to get bogged in detailing how awesome.)
Kerime B. Toksu
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book covers everything you'd want to know about 3D printing -- from manufacturing, design software and bioprinting to digital cuisine, educational applications and potential legal tangles.

This is NOT a how-to book.
Carlos
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very good introduction to the world of possibilities of 3D printing. Not much on building or purchasing a 3D printer, but many resources that point you in the right direction. If you are interested, definitely a good introduction.
Gary
Aug 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: investing
10% informational, 45% near future, and 45% distant future/science fiction. This book actually did the opposite of what I thought it would: it made present day 3D printing seem boring and lame.
Digit
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a nutshell - 3D printers are awesome. Amazing what can be done with them. My 'mad scientist' persona is humming with glee right now.
Carina K
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book as a method of introduction to what 3D printing is, where it's going, and the limitation of current technology. This is not a manual of how to get started in 3D printing though.
Mic
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still don't really understand what a voxel is, but this book has given me a basic enough understanding of 3d printing that I can now find the answers I seek on my own. Great read!
Koen
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: getabstract
Great overview of the 3D printing technology today & the future we can expect... ...more
Emerging Tech tools 1 1 May 22, 2017 10:26PM
Future of 3D printing 1 2 Apr 05, 2013 07:15AM

• The 3D Printing Handbook: Technologies, design and applications
  • Ten Years' Digging in Egypt
  • A History of Ancient Egypt, Volume 2: From the Great Pyramid to the Fall of the Middle Kingdom
  • The Umbrella
  • Sidewalk Flowers
  • Flashlight
  • Sexiest Vampire Alive (Love at Stake, #11)
  • Vampire Mine (Love at Stake, #10)
  • Finding My Way (Beaumont #4)
  • My Kind of Forever (Beaumont #5)
  • Finding My Forever (Beaumont #3)
  • Forever Our Boys (Beaumont, #5.5)
  • Demon Mistress (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #6)
  • Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language
  • My Unexpected Forever (Beaumont #2)
  • Sweet Spot (Irresistible, #1)
  • Eat Prey Love (Love at Stake, #9)
  • Sexcation

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »