Start by marking “Designing Information: Human Factors and Common Sense in Information Design” as Want to Read:
Designing Information: Human Factors and Common Sense in Information Design

Designing Information: Human Factors and Common Sense in Information Design

"The book itself is a diagram of clarification, containing hundreds of examples of work by those who favor the communication of information over style and academic postulation--and those who don't. Many blurbs such as this are written without a thorough reading of the book. Not so in this case. I read it and love it. I suggest you do the same."
--Richard Saul Wurman "This h
Published October 2nd 2012 by Wiley (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Designing Information, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing Information

Mikal
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Katz puts together a compendium that is the information design equivalent to Universal Principles of Design. The benefit is that he marches through the common problems in (print/physical) information design and offers interesting reflections and considerations on each.

At times the medium of the hard bound book betrays the topic as the author tries to discuss with great intricacy relatively high fidelity representations that are slightly bigger than two thumbnail images.

Katz does cause for grea
Beatriz Lucas
Jun 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
I agree that the book is full of examples of infographics and humour.

It's also full of typos, spelling mistakes, syntax and expression problems, and editing errors making it difficult to read. The layout and presentation of the information was also frustrating - which is ironic considering the subject matter.

I don't blame the author Joel Katz. Him and his team of collaborators are clearly experts in the topic (although, I think they rushed the production of this book).
The fault lies entirely wi
Elizabeth
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design, non-fiction, 2014
I plan to keep this volume close to hand for reference. I can’t say enough about this book being a great teaching tool that is accessible and engaging for anyone interested in information design at any level. It is written with humor, ease and great attention to detail and organization. Visual references and captions are useful even without reading the text and references for further reading and research are generously peppered throughout.
Maulina
Sep 01, 2013
Matthew
Apr 18, 2017
Kristoffer Johansson
My first book in the field of Information Design.

What I did like:
-Many examples, where the lion's share covers various types of map designs in one way or another. Fortunantly, I love maps.
-Aesthetically pleasing to browse through. This author knows how to use his fonts.

What I did not like so much:
-Didn't feel that the book lived up to its purpose of "providing a description of issues that confront designers". If I was to adapt its purpose to what I actually read, it would be something along the
Mr Matt Sim
Mar 28, 2019
Brian
Dec 20, 2015

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »