Start by marking “Ecoliterate: How Educators Are Cultivating Emotional, Social, and Ecological Intelligence” as Want to Read:

A new integration of Goleman's emotional, social, and ecological intelligence

Hopeful, eloquent, and bold, Ecoliterate offers inspiring stories, practical guidance, and an exciting new model of education that builds - in vitally important ways - on the success of social and emotional learning by addressing today's most important ecological issues.

This book shares stories o
Published August 14th 2012 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ecoliterate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecoliterate

Start your review of Ecoliterate: How Educators Are Cultivating Emotional, Social, and Ecological Intelligence
Dolly
Sep 17, 2017 marked it as dnf-or-set-aside-for-now  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of nonfiction
This book offers examples of how different organizations and educators are fostering a sense of humanity and compassion in their students. Through four short stories depicting "community leaders putting engaged ecoliteracy into practice", the book shows how "innovative educators, artists, activists, scholars, and students...educate others about some of the most critical issues of our time."

Daniel Goleman's previous work on emotional intelligence (Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More T
Ryan
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Not what I was expecting. Some good stories about how teachers and professors developed eco-literate activities and projects with students, but not much guidance for lesson plans or practical assessment and implementation. All were large scale projects that might be difficult to fit into a curriculum. Some interesting facts but not enough about eco-literacy itself or enough deep dive into the stories and facts for most non-educators.
Sam
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this positivity of the book and the section on how to include it in professional development.
Holly Chesser
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Educators
In our increasingly global and complicated economy, it is difficult to trace the path between our actions and their consequences. For most of us, that line remains largely invisible. But as Hurricane Sandy has recently reminded us, we humans are members of the natural world, not distinct and superior. We must begin to see ourselves as part of a complex, interconnected web that values sustainability, the responsible management of resources, as opposed to durability, the capacity to endure through ...more
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of anything that incorporates action and education in the classroom. I truly believe that when students are active in something, even if they don't initially care about it, they grow to care and be involved. Eco Literate is filled with case studies of how educators have brought experience and involvement into the classroom for their students. It gives ways in which educators are sharing experiences with their students that allow them to be involved. These activities encourage stud ...more
Erik Akre
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teachers looking for inspiration in sustainability
Written thoroughly, with each chapter a concrete and well-explored example of ecolitracy values and practice. The book is offered to teachers for inspiration that is not based in theory alone. The examples are of real people encountering real issues of environmental protection and justice. The author does a good job of bringing the situations alive for the reader, and referring them to principles of ecoliteracy. Also, there are questions for reflection at the end of each chapter. I found these m ...more
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Any one who is interested in the environmental issues should read this. Easy and quick read with lots of examples on how educators, schools makes a difference. Though this book is based on works done in US, I feel the framework with which the book is written should help others as well.
Leah Moore
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Good case studies, but offered no practical examples for the day to day classroom.
Sophie Muller
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very thought-provoking book that goes along the lines of my own teaching, yet helping me push some aspects further. Great resources and material to use!
Tammy
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read this if you care about the earth and teaching others about sustaining it,
- in school or in your community.
William (Bill)
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Makes me wish I was still teaching,
Chiara Projetti
Interessante ma un po' diluito. Il saggio è ricco di esempi, ma 250 pagine mi sono sembrate eccessive. ...more
Reid
Rachel
Mar 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Portogallo
  • Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine, and the Miracle That Set Them Free
  • Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic
  • Why Don't Students Like School?: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom
  • Neuroteach: Brain Science and the Future of Education
  • Virginia State Penitentiary: A Notorious History
  • I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life
  • Making Thinking Visible: How to Promote Engagement, Understanding, and Independence for All Learners
  • Cured But Not Healed: How to Experience Deeper Faith on Your Journey with God
  • Wherever the River Runs: How a Forgotten People Renewed My Hope in the Gospel
  • Eat with Joy: Redeeming God's Gift of Food
  • Wesley for Armchair Theologians
  • Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure
  • Feathered
  • Dear White America: Letter to a New Minority
  • The Well Women
  • When Did Everybody Else Get So Old?: Indignities, Compromises, and the Unexpected Grace of Midlife
  • Stolen: Is Social Media Stealing Your Identity?
Author of Emotional Intelligence and psychologist Daniel Goleman has transformed the way the world educates children, relates to family and friends, and conducts business. The Wall Street Journal ranked him one of the 10 most influential business thinkers.

Goleman’s Emotional Intelligence was on The New York Times best sellers list for a year-and-a-half. Named one of the 25 "Most Influential Busin

News & Interviews