Start by marking “The Devil Does Exist, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Devil Does Exist, Volume 1

The Devil Does Exist, Volume 1

(Akuma de Sourou #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  3,226 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
High school is difficult for most kids. But for Kayano, a shy girl whose single mother seems to work all the time, it's even worse than usual. She's so afraid of drawing attention to herself, in fact, that she can't tell the handsome Kamijo how much she loves him-until one day she finally gets up the courage to write him a letter confessing her feelings. But her plans go a ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by DC Comics (first published January 19th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Does Exist, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil Does Exist, Volume 1

Shannon
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gahhh!! I LOVED THIS! I might be a bit biased though in my opinion. I watched the taiwanese drama of this 'Devil Beside You' a couple of years ago and I fell in love instantly. I suggest anyone who likes this manga should watch the drama. This manga is good, but the drama is like five billion times better! I remember watching fan translations of it online and ended up buying it online for like $50. So worth it! All I have to say is MIKE AND RAINIE <3. I swear I will never fangirl any other pa ...more
Anita Gomgal
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este manga es genial!!!Una historia original de amor y desamor, de odio y amistad....
te engancha desde el primer momento por las aventuras y desventuras de Kayono!!
Si alguien lo ha leído le recomiendo que vea el dorama taiwanes basado en el manga: DEVIL BESIDE YOU!!
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Somewhere between a 2.5 and a 3. Maybe a 2.75? I didn't hate this, I just wasn't too impressed. It's really hard for me to judge a manga on just one volume, so I will be hunting down the second volume soon. Then we will decide whether or not I actually like this.
Anna Aurora
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sick in bed this past week(stupid fever) and the only thing my brain can understand are mangas.So I decided to reread one of my all time favorite and of course I loved it !I have reread it like 4 or 5 times already and it never gets boring or old.Beautiful story!
5/5 stars
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
I debated between 2 and 3 stars for this one, but rounded up for the sake of nostalgia. I used to LOVE this manga, so much so that I've actually read the thing four times now. It was never my favorite, but I had all these feels from it and I would turn to it to deal with my frustration that Takanashi's other series wasn't finished yet.

I mean, I still think it's okay, but it's got a lot of the typical problems. The protective guy who always gets his way and the girl who cries a lot. Plus, the pre
Cheyenne
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've read this one multiple times and my love for it never wavers. One of the things that I definitely liked was that all the chracters grow and mature throughout the whole series.

Kayano is a shy girl who has a crush on Kamijo the basketball team captain. When she's waiting to give Kamijo her confession letter she messes up and it's Takeru she confronts. Mortified she drops her letter without thinking and runs away. She soon realises that Takeru has her letter. Takeru is the Principle's all-but
Sarai
Kayano has a crush on Yuichi, the cute basketball team captain, but when she tries to give him a note telling him how she feels, it ends up in the hands of Takeru. Kayano learns Takeru is the son of the school's principal, and gets everything he wants, and it seems he has decided he wants Kayano. Then Kayano's mother marries Takeru's father and Kayano discovers it is not as easy to stay away from Takeru as she believed it would be.

This initially reminded me of Honey Mustard, in that the girl had
Laura Noi
Inizio frizzante e divertente. Takeru è un personaggio ricco di fascino e mistero che sicuramente ci riserverà delle sorprese nei prossimi volumi. Il triangolo che si viene a creare è un po' banale ma fortunatamente sembra essersi già risolto. Nel complesso una lettura piacevole.
Jamie
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
This series just gets better as it goes along! The two main characters are well portrayed and become more lovable and developed as it moves along. Shoujo/Shojo series. If you are looking for a drama/romance series that is a good length,then I recommend this 11 book series to you.
Danielle
Jul 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Read this series with my daughter. Then watched the hilarious Taiwanese drama (Mike He & Rainie) based on the story with her, as well. Should mother and daughter be bonding over this, really? Reeeally? ^__^;; Too funny.
Sarah Evans
Apr 05, 2009 rated it liked it
The story was fine (a pretty normal shojo plot), but the illustration style irritated me for some reason.
Alice
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kristin El
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, manga
Between a 2 and 3*. I like all the changing hairstyles but the plot has been done before and it's not super funny.
skyblue_31
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Rare for me to say but the drama adaptation is better.
Lirianstar
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one of the oldies are goldies case!
A must read, for those who haven't!
Vi
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, romance
I love, love the artwork in this series. Loved re-reading this
Laura (ローラ)
Mitsuba Takanashi is one of my favourite character fashion artists. Every day the characters have a new look, a new hairdo, a new style... even the boys. This just proves to me what a great artist she is. That she can actually vary a characters appearance but still not confuse the reader. There are some artists who just do not have the skill to pull this off.

The other thing that's great about Takanashi is that she seems to have a great handle on human-nature. Her angsty series seem to actually c
Rosemarie
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shoujo
This is a re-read since I vaguely recall liking this series the first time I read it. I'm not going to talk about plot or anything in this review. I'm going to focus on the illustration instead - simply because others are complaining that it's horrible. IT'S NOT!
In fact, I love it. It suits the storyline and the writing style. The characters speak "realistically" (or maybe because I'm American that the direct way of their speaking style feels more genuine that what I normally read in shoujo). Th
Snarky Hatter
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
...I'm not sure what to say or how to feel about this volume/series.

It's pretty messed up, but depending on how the series goes I might be able to enjoy it if I turn off my brain. Granted, that's going to be hard to do when characters like Haru chew out Kayano for not being happy about being trapped in a closet with a boy who is obviously not happy with Kayano and puts her in a questionable position. Also, if Takeru keeps being a manipulative jerk I'll eventually put the series down.

Though kudo
Lauren
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Confessing to the person you like is never easy, having the attention seeking Edogawa Tekeru know who you like is even worse. Kayano thought high school was going to be hard enough but take on running errands for Takeru and it is almost unbearable especially when their parents are getting married and they have to move in with one another.

I loved the storyline development and growth of the characters. This is a series that I was really excited about reading. The romance does not start at the begi
Naj G
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, romance
I give it 5 stars. I read this back when I was a teen and it was my first shoujo manga , actually It was more like the first Manga I have ever read that happened to be shoujo :D !. The plot Is cute and classic with the the teenage romance drama element of course. It is clean so anyone under 18 can read it. I remember sometimes I wanted to punch the heroine but not as much as I wanted to slap Anastasia from 50 shades or that twilight girl ugh.so like any manga enjoy it but don't let it be your ma ...more
Starbubbles
Mar 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
This was monstrously bad. I thought I was just being grumpy when I started this, and maybe I was a little. I don't understand the definition of "nice" that they used in this. Standing up for yourself does not equal mean, nor does it mean you should renege when someone else is clearly in the wrong and claims that your actions are self-centered. Forbidden Kiss has the exact same premise and is frankly better in every way. Artistry, characters, plot, every single way. I got through volume 2, which ...more
Jade West
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
*******2 stars********
This book was not as good as I expected. The character were confusing and the plotline was odd. The main female character didn't seem to have as good as a complex personality. The relationships were odd, as well as the age difference.
I didn't have a desire to read in deeper, instead I just sped through the pages.
The art work was odd, it is hard to tell if some characters are male or female, and a male character was giving mixed signals of being gay or straight, it seemed bi
Miss
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
you know the whole 'and now: siblings!' plot works surprisingly well for this book because takeru is a little shit in a way that screams bratty little brother

like the start of the volume did not incline me to view him favourably and then principal came in to explain him via the marriage plot and it was as though a light had dawned on me

ahh. he's a little shit

is it bad that i want kayano to pat him on the head and generally win by being kind yet obnoxiously condescending?

3 stars
Cristina Lee
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lui, il diavolo. Mi ricordo ai tempi quando lo lessi quasi per puro caso. Avevo già visto il telefilm in versione orientale che mi era piaciuto veramente moltissimo. Ritrovarmi tra le pagine del manga e scoprire che la trama era la stessa è stato piacevole, e non ha per niente rovinato la lettura del fumetto. La trama è interessante così come intrigante il rapporto tra i protagonisti e il susseguirsi degli eventi.
Ogni tanto mi capita di riprenderlo e sfogliarlo, per tornare a tanti anni fa.
Amy
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I grabbed this accidentally when looking for a book with similar title. It has promise, but it follows a standard high school manga trope of bad boy is actually misunderstood and happens to be a decent guy. Hints of Marmalade Boy where there's the possibility of two families coming together with some attraction causing problems. I might give it a try if I'm avoiding other more serious books I have in my pile.
Lydia Presley
Nov 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, manga, young-adult
Okay.. I admit it. I'm fascinated with manga at this point (thanks Danielle!) What other books can fulfill my need for drama and angst all wrapped up in a neat, hilarious, teenage package?

I'm not going to write a full review on this series volume by volume - so I'll fill in more here once I've finished it, but so far.. it's been hilarious and fun to read. Definitely recommending to my sister.
Chelsea
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This series looks like it is going to be really fun and has a lot of entertaining characters. Takeru in particular has a lot of potential and I look forward to seeing how he develops as well as how the relationship between him and Kayano will evolve.

Contains Chapters 1 - 4
Chapter 1: The Attack
Chapter 2: The Plunder
Chapter 3: The Prisoner
Chapter 4: Wandering
Kathleen
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this story better than I expected to, given the trope of "girl torn between two boys she likes." They both seem to genuinely like her back, for different reasons! And everyone (well, all the leads) gets at least a little character development. There's a lot of funny or touching moments without it seeming contrived or forced.
Jessica
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What do you do when the boy who likes to torture you by stealing your love letter to another guy and coming up with ways for you to spend time together at school. Finally, you may even consider liking him...AND THEN... ends up becoming your new step-brother?! Kayano battles with a new found love for her "step" brother...and how it effects them through the years...
  • Happy Hustle High, Vol. 1
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 1
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • Tenshi Ja Nai!! (I'm No Angel), Vol. 1 (Tenshi Ja Nai, #1)
  • Cat Street, Vol. 1 (Cat Street #1)
  • Goong: The Royal Palace, Vol. 1 (Goong, #1)
  • Wanted
  • Sensual Phrase, Vol. 1
  • Tokyo Crazy Paradise, Vol. 1
  • Tail of the Moon, Volume 1
  • Love Monster, Vol. 1 (Love Monster, #1)
  • Private Prince , Vol. 01
  • Ai Hime ~ Ai to Himegoto, Vol. 01
  • Moe Kare!!, Vol. 01
  • High School Debut, Vol. 03 (High School Debut, #3)
  • Midnight Secretary, Vol. 01 (Midnight Secretary, #1)
  • Kare First Love, Vol. 1 (Kare First Love, #1)
  • Butterflies, Flowers, Vol. 1 (Butterflies, Flowers, #1)
Name in native language: 高梨 みつば

Akuma de Sourou (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Devil Does Exist, Volume 2