Start by marking “I Hike” as Want to Read:
I Hike

I Hike

"I never set out to hike 10,000 miles. It just sort of happened over the course of a decade." And so goes Lawton Grinter's compelling collection of short stories that have been over ten years and 10,000 trail miles in the making. I Hike brings the reader trailside with blissful moments on the highest mountain ridges to the mental lows of mosquito hell and into some ...more
Published March 30th 2012 by Grand Mesa Press

To ask other readers questions about I Hike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Hike

Start your review of I Hike
Kathy
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Quotable:
There is true freedom on the trail. You answer to no one. There is no morning commute or climbing of the corporate ladder. There is no clock-punching or working your way into middle management. There is no multi-tasking. There is only the trail and the singular goal of reaching some distant border or ending point many months down the road. It's quite beautiful in its simplicity.

My backpack is loaded; it's time to hit the trail.
Nancy
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Even if you never plan to hike through anything wilder than the crabgrass in your yard, please do yourself a favor and read this book!

Lawton Grinter's love for the challenging activity that is "thru-hiking" comes shining through his clean, clear prose with humor and poignancy. He has a lot to say and he says it honestly.

Grinter introduces us to some amazing characters with their picaresque "trail names" (his is "Disco," by the way), to hiking rituals and traditions (Ch. 2 is the single funniest
Thomas
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing

"I Hike", by Lawton Grinter gets 5 stars from me. It is not often that I laugh out loud while reading a book. It's even rarer that both my wife and I both laugh out loud, and that is what happened, not once, but several times as I read a few of the 12 "Mostly True Stories" on a recent camping trip, as a few of us sat in a circle illuminated by candlelight in a shelter in the Maine woods.
"Disco", as he known in thru- hiking circles, has assembled a most enjoyable book of what he considers the
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A collection of stories and a joy forever. Mr. Grinter pulled stories out of the memories of his many trails--Pacific Crest, Appalachian, Continental Divide, John Muir and others, and put them together in themed chapters. Who could resist chapter names like Ice Cream Headache, The Bears of Yosemite, Death by Bloodletting, Zee Vater? Reading them was almost as good as being there, and in the case of the mosquito episode, better.

It's not an instruction manual, but you do learn a bit--the
Andrew
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5
Holly England
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
On of the best hiking books I've read.
Melissa
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I hike by Lawton "Disco" Grinter is a fun fast read. I had no idea that there were so many people who walked the trails of this country from top to bottom (or bottom to top). These true hikers spend months on end walking the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine, or the Pacific Crest Trail or the Continental Divide Trail from Mexico to Canada. In I hike, Grinter shows a little of life on the trail, from choosing the right place to make camp and finessing a ride without actually asking for one, ...more
Richard
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Unlike most hiking memoirs, this book is not a diary that recounts a thru hike day by day. Instead, Grinter gives a greatest hits version, offering anecdotes from his more than 10,000 miles on the trail, including his four thru hikes. Each chapter tells a story, usually covering days or even weeks on the trail. Among my favorites were the Bears of Yosemite, the story of fellow hiker Lucky on the PCT, and the chafing problems on the CDT (hilarious with the shaving emergency of the German hiker). ...more
Don
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hikers
Great book. I've read a lot of trail journals, and I like the approach of this work. The author provides a set of his most memorable experiences from several hikes, instead of focusing on a single long hike.

Several times I found myself chuckling at one of his experiences, as I've had a similar experience... or I can easily visualize it happening to me! I would then try to imagine how I would respond to the situation before he told the rest of the story.

Overall very enjoyable. A couple of the
Carl
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Although I've never hiked with Disco, I can vouch for the veracity of his stories, because every one of 'em has happened to me too. Every former thru hiker can relate to these stories, every prospective thru hiker should read the book to see what he or she is getting into, and every armchair hiker should read it because it's so damned entertaining.
John Mosman
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
For those interested in long distance hiking, Lawton Grinter aka Disco, relates his and his wife's experience hiking the long distance trails in the US. Disco is part of the podcast, The Trail Show which is how I found out about his book. Hikers and would be hiker, enjoy!
Rick
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is great! It reminded me of stories we tell around the campfire.
The only thing I did not like is that the book is to short. I want to hear more of Lawton's trail tales. I'm ready for his next book.
Chad
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, x1, biographical
Best hiking book I've read, of course I've only read two. But still, I love the way Lawton breaks up the monotonousness of most hiking daily log books. He hits on highlights on various trips. Well done.
Elizabeth Oporto
I've been weirdly obsessed with the idea of long distance hiking and this book provides a really great snapshot of life experiences - enough to let me know I'll never embark on a journey like this but I do love reading about it.
Curtis Taylor
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of great stories. The adventures on the trails can be both funny and sad. This book identifies some of the tough ones along with more wilder ones. It is a contrast in the three main US Trails but it is also a story of the hiker and what the hiker endures. Great book.
Elizabeth
Great book
Linda
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked that it was organized by topic, not by trail or trip. Many helpful hints too.
Molly Shubert
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trail-stories
Refreshing approach. Laughed and cried. Hope there's a greatest hits II !
Todd
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
After reading I re-told stories such as "Zee Vater" and "Ice Cream Challenge" and really laughed at some of the stories. A fun easy read that you want to finish quickly when you start.
Rachael Robertson
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fun quirky read. I like that it hit on several different trail experiences instead of just one long hike on one specific trail.
Austin
Mar 16, 2019
Rob Robbins
Feb 20, 2015
Kenneth Lipman
rated it did not like it
Jul 11, 2014
Jeff
rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2013

• Thirst: 2600 Miles to Home
  • How the WILD EFFECT Turned Me into a Hiker at 69: An Appalachian Trail Adventure
  • North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail
  • Thru-Hiking Will Break Your Heart: An Adventure on the Pacific Crest Trail
  • The Last Englishman
  • Where's the Next Shelter?
  • Wilderness, The Gateway To The Soul: Spiritual Enlightenment Through Wilderness
  • A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail
  • Life Is a Marathon: A Memoir of Love and Endurance
  • The Trail Provides: A Boy's Memoir of Thru-Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail
  • Finding Ultra, Revised and Updated Edition: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
  • Mr. Nobody
  • Skywalker: Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail
  • On the Clock: What Low-Wage Work Did to Me and How It Drives America Insane
  • Confessions of an Unlikely Runner: A Guide to Racing and Obstacle Courses for the Averagely Fit and Halfway Dedicated
  • Balancing on Blue: A Dromomaniac Hiking
  • Hiking Through: Finding Peace and Freedom on the Appalachian Trail
  • Appetites: Why Women Want
Lawton Grinter is an author, filmmaker, forester, trail runner and veteran long-distance hiker having completed end-to-end hikes of the Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide Trail and two hikes of the Pacific Crest Trail. In addition to the Big 3 he has hiked the John Muir Trail & Colorado Trail in 10,000+ miles of long-distance hiking since 1999.

He currently co-hosts the monthly podcast The

News & Interviews

“Until 2008 the mosquitoes on Cape Hatteras were the worst I’d ever experienced. That would all change once we stepped foot into Sky Lakes Wilderness in southern Oregon during my second thru-hike of the PCT. The Oregon snowpack during the previous winter had been well above average, which left lingering snow in the high country that summer. P.O.D. and I had been on a faster pace than I had in 2004 on the PCT and we ended up being in Sky Lakes Wilderness about 3 weeks earlier which was theoretically about six weeks earlier considering the timeframe of the snow melt. Long story short, we showed up during the peak of the mosquito season. The mosquitoes in Sky Lakes made those in Cape Hatteras look like lazy houseflies. It was beyond brutal. We were lucky to escape without requiring a transfusion.” 0 likes