Start by marking “Don Quixote de La Mancha, Vol 1” as Want to Read:
Don Quixote de La Mancha, Vol 1

Don Quixote de La Mancha, Vol 1

(Don Quijote de la Mancha #1)

Don Quixote, errant knight and sane madman, with the company of his faithful squire and wise fool, Sancho Panza, together roam the world and haunt readers' imaginations as they have for nearly four hundred years.
Published January 1st 2006 by Pomona Press (first published 1605)

Start your review of Don Quixote de La Mancha, Vol 1
Kalliope

You, my GR-Friends and Readers must be wondering what is this cheese doing at the head of the review. And I, the fictitious Kalliope, invite you to cut a slice and help yourself and savour the flavours of Manchego cheese. Buts since you can’t grab and eat the one displayed on your screen, then I suggest you take a substitute, some Edam, or Cheddar, or any other you have in your fridge, and then think and imagine that you are taking cheese from La Mancha, from the land of Don Quijote (DQ). For
David
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
Quijote lookalike

First, an organizational note. I actually read this in parallel, in the original Spanish, and in the Penguin Classics English translation by J.M. Cohen. Anyone who is interested can follow my tortured progress through Book I at the link below:

In this review, I will attempt a coherent summary of my reaction to Book I, and in the process try to justify my two-star rating.

Let me start by saying that I really gave it my best shot. I can't think of another book
Chris M.H
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
Such a beautiful and hilarious novel.

It has heap loads of danger, insults, foolishness, comedy & love. It’s all stories interwoven within stories and it’s just brilliant!

I think the part I love most about this book is the affection each character has to someone else. No one person seems without direction to send their passion and receive in turn. The long scene in the Inn on the way back from Don Quixote’s isolation in the wilderness and following deception in returning home by Dorothea and
Marius
Probably the best book in the world!

Don Quixote voted best book ever

Don Quixote is the world's best book say the world's top authors

The top 100 books of all time

Dostoevsky on Don Quixote:

'There is nothing in life more powerful than this piece of fiction. It is still the final and the greatest expression of human thought, the most bitter irony that a human is capable of expressing; and if the world came to an end and people were asked somewhere there: ‘Well, did you understand anything
Dimitris
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorably old-fashioned and old-style baroque comedy, yet I sense traces of Modernism beneath the surface, especialy in how our hero's madness somehow isn't confining him from interacting with people. I prefered to linger on the fun and on the Chivalry though, on the endless wonderful sub-plots of endless characters.
Starting Book II imediately.
Marie
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
It's hard to classify and to explain what this book is about.

In all honesty, one could describe the plot basic points, and still not get a grasp of how complete this book is in every sense. It has helped me to discover a love for this kind of reality, standing in the thin line between dream in reality, and the problems of knowledge among many other things.

One of the first books of this style I have had the pleasure of reading was François Rabelais, "Pantagruel" which for sure have some points
Julie Bell
May 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
I understand that it has its place among historic literary devices and I respect it for that. With that being said, it would have been better at half its length. I got the point early on and at some point the theme repetition became tedious.
Nick
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Duh. There's something to laugh at or lament on every page of Volume I. The interpolated novels require patience, and the captive's story in particular seemed sluggish, but this is mostly because they are outshined by every moment spent with Don Quixote and Sancho. Beware enchanters and blankets. On to Part II, which I'm told is even better.
Tavi Florescu
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Magical realism avant la lettre or things are how we want to see them, until we come across a Sancho Panza that does a reality check for us.
j.

i had to read this for class and the teacher divided it into two parts so i will first talk about it in those individual parts before talking about both. (i read it in spanish so the names and places and other stuff will be in spanish)

first part (chap.1-chap.22)
writing:
i can't really complain much here. the writing was really good, sometimes the jokes fell flat, but when i laughed, i laughed. the only problems i had per se were with the very old words that i didn't know the meaning to.
Ignacio
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of readers seem to lose interest by the end of the First Part of Don Quixote and I’m not sure how many make it through the Second Part. It can be very challenging to try to read the whole book through. Personally, I prefer to treat them as separate novels, not so much as parts (like the books of, say, the Lord of the Rings) but more like the relation between The Hobbit and LOTR. I just finished rereading the First Part and plan to wait at least six months or a year before I reread the ...more
Tony
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weighing in at just over that of a VW Beetle, I took my time picking this up, but what a relevation! An outstanding read, full of the most incredible characters and adventures.

Absolutely loved it.
John Frankham
This is the original book from 1605. 450 pages. The GR blurb says:

"Don Quixote has become so entranced by reading chivalric romances, that he determines to become a knight-errant himself. In the company of his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, his exploits blossom in all sorts of wonderful ways. While Quixote's fancy often leads him astray – he tilts at windmills, imagining them to be giants – Sancho acquires cunning and a certain sagacity. Sane madman and wise fool, they roam the world together,
Tehanu
I CAN'T BELIEVE I FINALLY DID IT!!!
I'm so PROUD OF MYSELF!!
(granted it's only the first part but...)

I FUCKING READ DON QUIJOTE!!!!!

and...

GASP

I LIKED IT!!!

This is all the review! How could *I* review such a book?
Jazzy Lemon
Exceptionally funny at times, I really enjoyed this.
Saimi Korhonen
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Another book I had to read for my university literature course!

This book was amusing and silly and kept me entertained, most of the time. Occasionally things got a bit repetitive and nothing seemed to happen really, but it was never a struggle to read, just slow. I liked how the side characters and their lives all intertwined in the end and there were these fun scenes where people were reunited and mysteries were solved.

This is definitely one of those books that I can understand the importance
Jeremy Ngadiman3
Don Quixote: the story of an average nobleman who believes, outside of sanity, that he is to become a knight at a time where Spain, all of Europe probably, no longer had knights, and his books on chivalry and legendary knights were to blame. Despite the efforts of the cleric, barber, housemaid, and his niece, Alonso Quijano (or Quesada, or Quijada) changed his name to Don Quixote, took on his grandfather's armor, mounted his not-so-impressive steed Rocinante, got himself knighted in an inn which ...more
Brian Eshleman
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably don't bring a five-star palette to this work that so many others have found unsurpassed, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. I counsel college students, and I also recently read Stroke of Insight on the effectiveness of an empathetic approach to treating mental impairment, so readers of my reviews will forgive me if I take the hammer of my perspective and find nails even in a timeless work that has much to say beyond my frame of reference.

I find the gracious way in which the author and the
Isabel
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don Quixote
So he first starts reading books and he gets inspired to be a knight he starts going to a bunch of adventure. When he read the book he tried to be the best knight he wanted to be dressed like them he wanted the romance, a partner, and a horse. He got what he wanted but it was a little different for an example his horse was a donkey. During all those adventures that he went to he always got into problems, he would get beat up. He thought that he was helping people but made thing worse.
Robert Cohen
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The complete Don Quixote is a monumental undertaking, so I have decided to present this review based only on Part 1, which I have just completed. I will take a break and will follow with a review of Part II at a later time.

No less a scholar than Harold Bloom calls Don Quixote, “still the best of all novels”, and also comments, “this great book contains within itself all the novels that have followed in its sublime wake”. Edith Grossman, whose translation is recommended by Bloom and is the one I
Adam Smith
A nobleman of a village in La Mancha reads one too many books on chivalry and convinces himself that his purpose in life is to become a knight errant and ride the countryside in search of adventure. Together with his trusty squire Sancho Panza, and being pursued by a barber and a curate from his home village, Don Quixote sallies forth on a quest to bring the light of chivalry to a world much in need.

I hated this book. I'd heard such good things about it, but aside from a small number of iconic
Quynh1996
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haruki Murakami, in my opinion, is a wizard who can create parallel world and blow deep sorrows into his characters. So good!
Marie
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Book one done!

That was such an undertaking that I don't know how to summarize the experience. Parts of the book are startlingly modern, self-aware and wry. Parts are a bit tedious. (Could they run into yet another 'most beautiful girl ever with a rich father unsure who she should marry'? Sometimes my comprehension slowed down to misery, looking up every word on the page until I gave up in frustration. Other times I felt I was really reading this, you know? It got better as I went along and I
Joshua
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I just finished "Don Quixote, Volume 1" by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra. Before reading this well-known classic, I had absolutely no preconceived notion about the story. I was delighted to find it much more a comedy than an adventure. Quixote is a hotheaded buffoon, and Sancho Panza his unwitting and naive accomplice. I just love seeing idiocy interacting with seriousness. I think the main point that Cervantes conveys is the dangerous effect that literature (or media in general) has upon people ...more
John Caviglia
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At start:

Have decided to re, or re-re, or re-re-re read the Quijote (depending on where in the text) for the first time sequentially, in the (more or less) original Spanish, beginning to end, a chapter a day. Wonderful!

At end (to which there is no end):

Did not make my chapter a day, so it took me a little over two years :) But it's a good book to have looking over your shoulder as you go about life. Somewhere long ago I came across the fact that Thomas Mann read it while crossing the Atlantic
Michi
Jun 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not entirely sure why I finished this (except for the Spanish practice). The parts focusing on Don Quijote himself were amusing enough but every time some new random character comes along and tells their story of tragic love (which is the greater part of this novel) it starts to get long-winded and dull. I get the feeling I should have done the gauche thing and stuck with an abbreviated-for-kids version.
Lynn
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book of all time. I read the complete novel (both parts) in college for a Spanish class. I've read it 4 times...the complete version in English and Spanish, and the abridged version in English and Spanish. I'm getting the itch to read it again. I know it's not for most people, but after having a professor who was so knowledgeable about the book, it made me really appreciate the twists and turns, plot and character development, etc.
Naiya Stewart
Don Quixote is such an adventurous fiction book. Quixote whose real name is Alfonso has a wild imagination. His dream is to be a knight. On his journey to strive for the position of a knight, he pretends to kill giants , save beautiful women and fight other knights. This book is perfect for a show and tell and also bedtime stories for kids.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Romeo y Julieta
  • Libro de Buen Amor
  • Martín Fierro
  • El matadero
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra was a Spanish novelist, poet, and playwright. His novel Don Quixote is often considered his magnum opus, as well as the first modern novel.
It is assumed that Miguel de Cervantes was born in Alcalá de Henares. His father was Rodrigo de Cervantes, a surgeon of cordoban descent. Little is known of his mother Leonor de Cortinas, except that she was a native of Arganda del

Don Quijote de la Mancha (2 books)
  • Don Quixote de La Mancha II (Don Quijote de la Mancha, #2)
“I know who I am and who I may be, if I choose.” 232 likes
“I want you to see me naked and performing one or two dozen mad acts, which will take me less than half an hour, because if you have seen them with your own eyes, you can safely swear to any others you might wish to add.” 20 likes