Start by marking “Shadowed” as Want to Read:
Shadowed

Shadowed

He can hear a whisper a block away… and can't remember why.

Open your mind, to a city where mystery chases up and down office back stairways, turns brother against brother, and plays out on frozen sidewalks where lives may be shattered if the enemy even looks at the ragged man passing by in the crowd—and even that man cannot guess what memory will be next to batter his mind
Published May 12th 2012 by Windward Road Press (first published February 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shadowed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowed

Start your review of Shadowed
Lita Burke
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shadowed by Ken Hughes is a paranormal thriller about a young man named Paul who struggles with super-power enhanced senses, a family-based intrigue, and amnesia.

A dark world has consumed Paul Schuman, a former student who now survives by taking small burglary jobs stealing secrets. Not knowing how or why, when he concentrates, Paul can hear and see things a block away. He also has the uncanny knack of blending into crowds so well, he can walk past his dad in a hallway, and the father fails to n
Jada Ryker
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling Adventure

As a thriller, Shadowed, by Ken Hughes, reminded me of Robert Ludlum’s The Bourne Identity. I got drawn into the story as quickly as The Bourne Identity, and as frantically tried to figure out the story plot. With the paranormal element, the adventure was much more than just a thriller. The sheer twists and turns reminded me of Alfred Hitchcock.

Using his heightened Senses, Paul tries to gather information and track down clues. He’s hampered by his inability to remember, yet he
Mirel
Dec 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Mirel by: Story Cartel
Shelves: paranormal

Disclaimer: I received this book free from story cartel in return for an honest review.

Where to start? The book is about Paul, who has to deal with super powers that come onto him suddenly. The book is well formatted and edited, no issues there. It was a pleasure to read a typo-free indie book.

However, I found the book very confusing. The opening chapter threw us into the story so quickly, that I reread the first chapter a few times to try and make sense of it, and checked online to see if I'd a
Red Haircrow
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
A very well-written, edited and formatted book, which was what notably caught my eye when first viewing Shadowed. Crisp, clean and thorough, it was a pleasure to see considerable care had been taken to present a professional appearance.

The premise of the story itself, someone discovering abilities in themselves they cannot fathom or understand, which distances them from other humans is a more common theme it seems these days. Paul, the main character, struggles with his heightened awareness, mak
Nicolas Wilson
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Well written, but I had some core skepticism about the concept that never went away. Paul's actions through the first half of the book didn't entirely feel organic to me, and I spent most of that part questioning why he would get involved with his family again in the first place. It's a fun paranormal that almost leans closer toward superhero conventions, and the worldbuilding in that aspect was thoroughly visualized. Truth be told, I'd have been more intrigued by it if it had been more focused ...more
Demelza Carlton
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked the concept of this - a man suddenly beset by special powers who can't remember how he got them. With most stories where people have heightened perception, they seem to take it all in their stride, yet Paul seems to lack the intelligence to process all the extra data he gets. He lurches from one bad decision to the next because he's an ordinary bloke - not an expert politician, businessman or even PR person, though such characters surround him and leave him confused.

While I didn't like
latybug
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free download of this book from Story Cartel. Thank you!
Overall, I enjoyed the book. It was suspenseful and kept the reader guessing as to who the good guys and bad guys really were.
I wanted to know more about what happened to Paul that gave him the ability to Open his senses, but I think the author may have done that on purpose, to make the reader feel as confused as the character.
The book did not really have an ending, it was just left wide open for a sequel.
I would recommend this
Jeff
Interesting idea, slow execution

The idea of the main character's abilities interested me from the beginning. However, the story was slow to developed and the characters were all pretty thin. I needed more background and character back story development. I would be interested in how these powers came into being. Good luck w with future writing. I enjoyed the author's writing style.
Maria
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
SHADOWED is a well written novel that asks the question "What if?" Paul has an odd ability: He can hear the slightest whisper. But can he put it to good use? This novel is more of an allegory but very readable and enjoyable.
Jen
I was able to download this book for free thanks to Ken Hughes and Story Cartel in exchange for an honest review.
Jeff
Nov 26, 2012
J.H. Kingsley
Mar 17, 2013
Ken Hughes
May 15, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
Dec 12, 2013
Morena Black
Dec 12, 2013
Making Connections: 1551. SHADOWED by Ken Hughes 4 59 Nov 15, 2013 12:28PM
Ken Hughes lives in Los Angeles and has worked as a technical writer for missions to Mars and the governing body of the Internet (ICANN). He writes paranormal thrillers and urban fantasy, and has been known to argue over the difference between the two in his blog, www.KenHughesAuthor.com.

His novel Shadowed was nominated for a Global Ebook Award. The series he’s launching with the upcoming The High

News & Interviews