Start by marking “Lady John” as Want to Read:
Lady John

Lady John

3.17  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The last time Olivia Martingale saw Menwin it was in Brussels on the eve of Waterloo. She had loved him then, but her love was not returned. Instead she yielded to the insistent Lord John Temperer, married him, and was left a widow. Visiting John’s family seemed like a good idea--but John's brother the Duke disliked her; John’s mother wanted to match-make for her... and in ...more
Published March 12th 1982 by Ivy Books

To ask other readers questions about Lady John, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady John

Li
This was written back in 1982 and it shows in the sense it avoids the modern romance conventions - for instance, the hero doesn’t appear on the page until quite a bit into the book, IIRC. I liked it, but it’s not your usual romance.
Emy
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I received this as a free review copy as I have reviewed two other of Robbin's older romances when they were released as eBooks. This one is slightly different from the standard Regency-era romance as the main female character is a widow, but one who has not been 'out' in London. Another difference from the 'norm' I enjoyed was that the first significant male characters we receive, while remaining important to the story line, are not the Hero. Often if one meets a potentially unpleasant male nea ...more
Jules Jones
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Note - I received a review copy through LibraryThing Early Reviewers.[return][return]Reprint ebook edition of a Regency romance first published in 1982. I'm not a follower of historical romances in general and Regency romances in particular, so I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who reads the occasional romance rather than someone who goes into nitpicking detail about exactly what type of glassware they had on the table in a particular decade. If you're a hardcore Regency reader y ...more
Diane
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I haven't read too many Regency romances over the years but i was in the mood for one and this one was on offer at the Librarything member giveaway. It's a standard type of love story where a couple dislike each other and the inevitable happens.

In this story, Olivia is the widow of John Penderer who died of influenza just after Waterloo. She and her mother are invited to stay with John's mother, the dowager Duchess. She has not met the family prior to her wedding since she met and married John i
Sorcha
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Obtained free as part of the Feb 2012 LibraryThing Early Reviewers batch. Offered by Book View Cafe to mark the books' publication as an ebook. (I took in epub format and read on my kobo).

Only 20 and already widowed, Lady Jane is invited to spend the winter with her late husband's family. There she is reintroduced to Lord Menwin, a man she was in love with before her marriage. After a few embarrassing meetings, where he is decidedly off hand and insulting to her, they realise it was all a misund
Katharine Kimbriel
Cathy
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

I was a little apprehensive about the book described as a "Regency romance" because Romance novels in general are not my thing. I was extremely relieved that "Lady John" did not turn out to be a bodice ripper with minimal plot and character development. On the flip side, this novel is a pale imitation of Jane Austen, with the star-crossed lovers fighting against society to earn their happiness. The dialogue felt a bit forced, as though the
Tima
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Lady Olivia John is a widow living in a small home with her mother. Months after the death of her husband she receives a letter from her late husband's family. They would like her to come visit them in the family home in London. Olivia is a bit apprehensive about meeting her husband's family, but accepts the invitation. What follows is enlightening time for Olivia and her mother.

Lady John was written in 1982 and has now become available in an ebook format. The book began a bit slow for me becaus
Deirdre
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another rather entertaining read. Lady John is about a widow, the said Lady John who married her husband in Brussels during the war between the French and English and is now invited, by her husband's family, to come to England to meet with them. They're not sure who she is or what to make of her until she turns up and then they're delighted with her. She re-meets an old acquaintance but finds that he's cold towards her, she also has a friend from Brussels follow her.

It's light and entertaining.
Ozsaur
I generally don't read a lot of romances any more, but I really like this writer, so I decided to give it a go.

I enjoyed it. I love that the author did her research into the Regency period, so I was never thrown out of the story by anachronisms. Yet, it wasn't too stuffy, either.

A fun book, especially if you like Regency romances.
Frances
Mar 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency
I am having the best time! I got a box of old coventry romances off of Ebay, 24 for 4.99 and I am reading through them. Haven't read one yet that didn't deserve at least three stars. I highly recommend them for people who are tired of what they are now reading and wish to go back to the basics.
Pati Nagle
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Madeleine Robins just keeps getting better. I have been reading her regencies in their order of publication, and I liked Lady John the best so far. Nicely drawn characters, a touching dilemma, sprinkled with laughs. A delightful confection.
Liza
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute story. The hero is a bit brainless, and I never quite figured out why the heroine likes him.
Victoria Lee
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
'Lady John' by Madeleine Robins, was an okay book and a quick read. The plot is predictable but it was missing the witty dialog I enjoy in regency romance novels.
Chris
Oct 03, 2015
Holly
Oct 21, 2014
Zanne Baker
rated it did not like it
May 25, 2015
Writing gives Madeleine Robins the chance to focus on many of her ruling passions: cities, history, swordplay, the history of disease, and the future of mankind–with a side order of historical costuming and infrastructure (urban plumbing is far more interesting than you’d think).

Born in New York City, the Author has been, in no particular order, a nanny, a teacher, an actor and stage-combatant, an
More about Madeleine E. Robins...