Start by marking “Things I Want to Punch in the Face” as Want to Read:
Things I Want to Punch in the Face

Things I Want to Punch in the Face

Things That Chap My Hide
things I want to punch in the face: 1) a humorous way to convey annoyance or frustration over those little things in life that bug; 2) petty peeves warranting a tongue-in-cheek lashing but involving no physical retribution; 3) an expression made wildly popular by the blog Things I Want to Punch in the Face.
Synonyms: chap your hide, get your goat, ru
Published October 1st 2012 by Prospect Park Books

To ask other readers questions about Things I Want to Punch in the Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things I Want to Punch in the Face

Start your review of Things I Want to Punch in the Face
jv poore
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
As quirky and funny as the title would have you believe, there were also couple of pleasant surprises as well. I felt that if the "things" lived up to the title, this would be a groovy little 3-star book. I would enjoy it, maybe have a laugh, then move on.

But, wait.....There's more!

First, with each annoyance, there is a quick, simple fact. What?!?! Laughing AND learning? Good times.

Next, the title becomes a mind-set, a mantra, if you will. When my 8-year old son saw this book, he cracked up at
Chris
Jan 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
My curiousity got the best of me and I grabbed this book off the library display table. I also got a very strange look from the librarian as he checked this book out for me.

Okay, everyone has different levels of patience, tolerance and pain. This book is written in a style of someone who appears to have low levels in these areas and has written them in a harsh, bitter and aggressive fashion, which I was very taken aback on by threats of a punch in the face (or other body part).

We all have thin
Ryan
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
For starters, I received this book as a First Reads giveaway.

Wow, let's just say that had I not received this book for free, I would have been seriously disappointed, and wanted my money back. Priced at $11.95, for something that took me an hour to read, because it starts on page 13 and is only 125 pages long, this book is overpriced at just over $0.09 a page. As it turns out, the ebook versions are only a few dollars cheaper, which is even more of a ripoff. My recommendation is don't waste your
Colleen
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
True confessions: I'm the publisher. So of course I love this book. I was a fan of Jennifer Worick's blog first, and it made me laugh so consistently that I had to find her and publish a book. It's smart and opinionated and colorful and funny, and it's a great gift for just $12. I don't agree with every Punch-- I happen to like New Yorker cartoons, for instance-- but I love that she calls such a diverse array of annoyances on the carpet. Great therapy.
Chris
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed Jennifer Worick's site of the same name for years, now. She's taken the art of the pet peeve to a cosmic level. Now, there's a portable collection of Worick's rants. Encompassing a variety of peeves which can only be considered epic in their scope, from 'Molly Ringwald's Prom Dress in Pretty In Pink', to, 'Prolific Dead People', to, 'Naked Pregnancy Portraits', this companionable tome will not only remind you of how detestable things like the 'IKEA Habitrail', or, 'Mercury In Retr ...more
Tif
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
Too bad Jennifer Worick doesn't want to punch the over-use of puns in the face. Also, it turns out that I don't really like reading books about what other people hate. I don't share the author's bitterness over most of the things in the book and she came off sounding like an unpleasant, self-absorbed person.
Judy
Dec 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
When this book first came out someone recommended it to me and I wish I could remember who that was so I could go punch him/her in the face. I like a good rant with comedic value but this was just one bitchy whine after another over piddly little BS things. If I wanted that I'd go visit relatives.
Kerry
I like my anger to be served in a certain way. Bitter, cynical, sarcastic anger. Not mean, whiny, complaining anger. That's all this was. Blegk.

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

A couple of weeks ago, I was having a bad day. I can’t remember why but probably because of something insignificant that irritated me until I was steaming – yeah, I can be a bitch sometimes. I was about to start doing the dishes and decided I needed an audiobook to keep me company. I browsed through my public library’s online audiobooks and came across Things I Want to Punch in the Face. It sounded perfect for my mood. I downloaded it and
Lisa Koch
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While reading Jennifer Worick's "Things I Want to Punch in the Face", I made the mistake of taking a drink of coffee. While in mid-slurp, I snorted and ended up with a most of my morning joe on my shirt. Funny, clever, cranky. Except now I want to punch my book in the face...
Marjorie
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
first - bitch stole my idea....that chaps my hide. second - now I know there is an audience for rants and maybe I'll start my own blog and write my own book and make hundreds of hundreds of dollars. and some cents.

I want to punch her in the face for writing MY book.

dammit.
Ingrid
Jun 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Things *I* want to punch in the face: publishers who think Jennifer Worick would make a good author.

I wanted to like this book but honestly it was aggressively awful.
Chad
Jan 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Things I want to punch in the face: this terrible book, myself (for buying this terrible book) and myself again (for reading half of this terrible book before deciding to stop reading it).

Things I don’t want to punch in the face: Amazon for allowing me to return this terrible book for a refund. I only paid $1.99 for it but that was about $10 too much.

Sample chapter: Whine, whine, whine, bitch ,bitch, bitch. You like something I don’t like so, therefore you are a loser. Now stand there while I
Aimee Massey
Nov 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Unlike Meghan Rowland's hilarious "It Seemed Like a Good Idea ..." this book was a huge disappointment.
It was very obvious it was blog-based. Being blog-based is not by itself a bad thing, but being obvious about it most certainly is.
Worick presents a long, alphabetized list of things she loathes so much she wants to punch them, from the orange crud that Cheetos leave on your fingers and clothes to chai to so-called comfort shoes to stupid celebrity baby names. Fair enough. (Though I happen to h
Allie
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
First things first: I received this book as a goodreads First Read.
Good, that's out of the way.

That being said, I was pretty freaking excited when this lil' gem appeared in my mailbox! There are multiple people/places/things I would like to punch in the face, so I figured that Jennifer and I would connect on that "very disgruntled female" level.

Connect we did. Many of the things that Jennifer wants to punch in the face are also things that I also believe deserve a good beating (like business
Cole McCade
Jan 31, 2014 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF. The ebook really doesn't display well for Nook HD, with the graphical elements not really aligning properly and often completely messing up the format and layout, with the text scrunched into 1/4 of the page, odd hyphen breaks inappropriately placed in words, and the footers often splitting the text into three pages.
Wild1
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Good for a few giggles in agreement - made up business words, duck face selfies, parking space hogs (grrrr) & tantards is definitely a new entry to my vocabulary - people wearing full make up & jewellery on the beach (should also be applied to those in the gym).
Although biggest chuckle was at an American getting annoyed at people who mispronounce words - erm...aluminium, basil, oregano....lol
Heather
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lmao
I'm already a fan of the blog and am loving the number of fists rating system for how many punches in the face any one thing deserves. Ms. Worick's irreverent sense of humor makes me belly laugh. As an added bonus you get to learn fun facts while you're chuckling! Do yourself a favor and read it!
Yoly
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ranting with style. She's funny :)
Leah Short
Nov 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Worst book. I listened to the audio book and it was excruciating. Hours of constant griping. Not funny. Don't waste your time.
Madeline Wright
I wanted to read this book based on the title alone, and so I listened to the audiobook version. I felt that it was so smarmy and did not age well. The author takes things that can be annoying and applies threats of violence to them, hence the title. My issue was when the annoying things were specific PEOPLE's appearance or style choices. Those potshots weren't actually funny and even mean-spirited to me.

I winced mostly when she called out evidence of specific people having had facelifts or oth
T and H
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ashley Horton
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Upsides: quick & good for a laugh or two.

Downsides: this book started off on the wrong foot with me by insulting the song Ironic. This is an all time favorite of mine & the author clearly misses the face that the examples of "Irony" in the song are not actually irony... which in itself makes the song ironic! Things didn't improve much after that. This woman comes off as insecure & paranoid. The book often reads like " I don't like _____ because people who enjoy it are snobby/judging me/ stuck up
Karin Mika
Dec 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book didn’t get great reviews, but I was intrigued because, don’t we all want reaffirmation of the bubbles we live in? I thought this might be one of those books.

It wasn’t.

The book was terrible and I couldn’t finish it. It was trite and focused on trite, selfish wishes about the world around us and the people around us. It was very juvenile, which, unfortunately is the way many in the adult world act.
Emily
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wanted something light & funny but was disappointed. Too much. Just too much. Anger, pettiness, profanity/vulgarity, etc. Would've stopped listening to the audiobook but it was short enough that I just endured. Some things were occasionally funny, but often spoiled by the repetitiveness of her punchlines (no pun intended). Don't bother. ...more
Chani Kynes
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Things I Want to Punch in the Face. This book. It was cute for the first 50 pages or so, but the language and content became quite tedious afterwards. P.S. Mr. Darcy is practically perfect in every way.
Robyn
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious!
Jill
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
A few funny parts, but too much profanity for my taste.
Anna Jackson
Feb 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
I would like to punch this book in the face. I am not sure why I stuck it out.
Cyndi
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Irreverent, real, human and hilarious! I find myself wanting more, but not sure if the world is ready for that Pandora’s Box.'
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sin Eater
  • All This Could Be Yours
  • The Lords of Silence
  • Reggiecide (Reeves & Worcester Steampunk Mysteries, #2)
  • Wake Up, Stupid
  • What Rose Forgot
  • Toil & Trouble
  • The Aunt Paradox (Reeves & Worcester Steampunk Mysteries, #3)
  • If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't)
  • Sulwe
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • The Templars: The Rise and Spectacular Fall of God's Holy Warriors
  • Calm the F*ck Down: How to Control What You Can and Accept What You Can't So You Can Stop Freaking Out and Get On With Your Life
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • The Dead Girls Club
  • The Stationmaster’s Daughter
  • False Hope (False #2)
  • Little Teashop of Horrors
I write. That’s rather obvious. Mostly I write about things that blow my skirt up. Humor is a big—huge—part of everything I do. But then there’s that soft, squishy sentimental part of me that can’t help but rear its heartfelt head. And since I like to tell people what to do every chance I get, I write a lot of how-to books, blogs, and articles.

Humorous. Heartfelt. How-to. Three great tastes that t