Start by marking “Island Eyes, Island Skies” as Want to Read:
Island Eyes, Island Skies

Island Eyes, Island Skies

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  7 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
While at her cousin's birthday party, young D.C. meets Rob. They have a great time and promise to meet again over the summer, but a father's untimely death and a mother's miscarriage keep them apart. Reunited at school, smart-alecky D.C. and introspective Rob slowly form a bond, as they share time, adventures and sporting activities together; they also share thoughts about ...more
Published January 5th 2011 by Feathered Tale Books

To ask other readers questions about Island Eyes, Island Skies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Island Eyes, Island Skies

Jody
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of two pre-teens and their friendships with one another that help them get through life as well as some personal tragedies.

D.C. Blau and her family live in New Wellington but move to Old Westwood. It is summer in Long Island and D.C. goes to party at her Cousin Becky’s house. D.C. feels like the too tall out of town girl, and wears a bright yellow shirt with a rainbow lollipop on it, which makes her stand out that much more.

While at her Cousins party, she tells her Cousin Becky s
Bunny
**Originally posted at www.bunnycates.com**

My Thoughts:
To be honest, I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started reading this book. The author had sent this to us, for my daughter to read and review. He also included a note for me kind of “warning” me that the book had a very heavy element to it *death of a loved one* and I may want to read it before I gave it to her. A book, sent for review, with a warning. Ok, it got my attention. =)

According to my reading updates over on Goodreads, I really
Somekindofnobody
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From the beginning I was completely engaged into this first person story written from several vantage points. You follow the story of two children's lives and occasionally glimpse into the lives of those around them.

The narratives switch back and forth between the two pre-teens who "like" each other. You get to read what each of them are thinking before/during/after the first kiss all the way to the first utterance of love.

Both sweethearts (though don't tell them I called them that!) are too you
Nikki Bennett
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I almost gave this book five stars, I really did. I love how Richard Levine writes. He writes with an innate understanding of how kids think. The descriptions and dialogue were great--I especially liked how Rob, the boy, ended most of his sections with a funny headline for a made-up newspaper. I thought this was very clever and unique.

I gave the book a four because it's a little too long, and gets muddled a bit by different peripheral characters adding their two cents to the mix. I think the sto
Judy
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My Review: This is possibly the best young adult book I have ever read. Don’t like young adult, read it anyway it is really a book for all ages. This is a very touching story of a twelve year old boy and girl dealing with the awkwardness of growing up and personal tragedy. At first I wasn’t sure I was going to like the story but it soon captured me. I loved the humor shown in the book and the POV coming from various people other than the two main characters. Normally I would have found that dist ...more
Andd Becker
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
The structure of the book is alternating sections with two narrators. The girl makes caustic quips that appear to serve as a defense mechanism. The boy analyzes every word and behavior. He is introspective. His way with words expresses itself through clever headlines that he creates in his mind.
Tragedy erupts in both lives, yet the two main characters move on. They are resilient.
I think students will find the book enjoyable. A teacher could use it as an example of diary-writing and self-expre
Stefanie Kellum
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-kids
A quaint story about finding love amidst tragedy. I did think it had too many points-of-view though. It might've been better with just D.C. and Rob's perspectives. Still a good choice to give a teen who's struggling with grief.
Christi