Start by marking “Catholic, Reluctantly” as Want to Read:
Catholic, Reluctantly

Catholic, Reluctantly (John Paul 2 High #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
When a school shooting causes Allie Weaver to join John Paul 2 High, a newly-established parent-run Catholic high school, she and her six fellow students face personality conflicts, problems with the nearby public school, and mysterious threats from a prankster and possibly even the shooter himself.
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 224 pages
Published October 1st 2011 by Chesterton Press (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Catholic, Reluctantly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catholic, Reluctantly

Regina Doman
Oct 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Full disclosure: I edited this book as head of the John Paul 2 High team, or, as I prefer to call myself, the Series Queen.

What can I say? This has been, hands down, the most exciting writing project I've been involved in to date. A team of young writers, editors, and consultants (including Father Christopher Pollard, attache to the Vatican at the UN) came together to create this series for Catholic teens. Mostly because we were all former Catholic teenagers who grew up never having any books fe
booklady
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, youth, mystery, fiction
I thoroughly enjoyed this young adult novel, although I'm not sure if it's the quality of the writing so much as the subject's relevance to my life right now. As the mother of two high school teenagers I'm constantly in search of books to offer my daughters, especially now that summer has arrived. Catholic, Reluctantly is about the first year at the new and still-struggling (in more ways than one) John Paul II High School. The school is very small, only eight students, but they come from very di ...more
emma grace
I give this a 3.5.

It was a good book; really sad though to read about all the horrible things that go on at high schools. Makes you glad to be homeschooled... :)
I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Christine
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing story! very interesting and captivating. two thumbs up :)
Jackie
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
great book
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, parents of teens
Recommended to Sarah by: Lisa Hendey
Highly recommended. A fast read that is worth your time.

My full review is at my blog (click here).
Pete
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot to like in Catholic, Reluctantly, however it is missing enough dramatic weight to make it memorable.

This book, published by Chesterton Press, is the first in a series of young adult Catholic novels that revolves around the students and parents involved in creating the John Paul II High School. The students include:

- Allie, a cafeteria Catholic who previously attended a public school until she was involved in a gun scare.
- George, a top wrestler who has a crush on Allie.
- Cecelia,
Anna Elizabeth
George would rather be wrestling at St. Lucy's. But the Costains, a family that he and his mom are very good friends with, has started this new Catholic school...and they need some students. Besides Seal (a.k.a. Celia), there's J.P. and Liz (who are buddies one day and enemies the next), this creep James....and the new girl, Allie. But what is a beautiful, actually normal, girl like her doing here?

Allie Weaver is a normal teenager attending a normal school called Sparrow High. But things get abn
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story of 7 Catholic highschool kids of all different sorts: George, a Catholic school boy who wants nothing more than to be on a wrestling team, Allie, a public school girl who's barely Catholic and wants nothing more than to leave John Paul 2 High, Celia, the sweet, super-duper Catholic daughter of the school principal, JP, the mischevious troublemaker who likes nothing more than playing pranks, Liz, the disinterested tomboy who doesn't want to go to school anywhere, Brian, the shy, ner ...more
April
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good serious, fast paced read, for 14+
Elaine
Sage
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you like action, mystery, terrorizing, religious, or funny romance books? If so, you’ll love these books. I love this series because it' bible thump in'. I think that the John Paul 2 High book series is a five star series because it has a little bit of everything: romance, mystery, religion, and action. Of course, there should be a couple laughs. I find myself wondering what will happen next and acting like I'm in the story. If you have questions about the christian's faith, of course you can ...more
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Christian M. Frank team did a great job creating a vast cast of characters with their own personalities (my favorites are Celia and Brian. Just saying), with adding a suspenseful storyline that intrigued me, a cute romance budding between two characters (and an annoying boyfriend for one of the characters, but I digress), and with the Catholic Christian lesson of following Jesus in times of life or death situations.

The only thing that bothers me is that Allie is a little mean, but if you rea
Martina Dewey
Decent

Decent

the " catholic" element could have been left out it didn't really add any depth to the story. it almost confused the story. I enjoyed the characters though so I will finish the series.
Mariana
This is a really interesting book for young Catholic girls. It was quite approachable and neither preachy nor irreverent, as seems to be a prevailing issue in books like these. I definitely recommend for a thought-provoking look at Catholicism in the real world.
Margaret Rose
Dec 27, 2012
Guillermina F. Olomi
Dec 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Black as Night (A Fairy Tale Retold #2)
  • Pure Womanhood
  • Tales of the Restoration (Tales of the Kingdom, #3)
  • The Borrowed House
  • The Death of a Pope
  • Looking for the King (Inklings, #1)
  • Tune in Anytime
  • Conceived Without Sin
  • Dream of Life (American Dreams, #2)
  • Sue Barton, Neighborhood Nurse (Sue Barton, #6)
  • The Mandelbaum Gate
  • The Mystery of the Periodic Table
  • Carney's House Party/Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #1 & #3)
  • Beany Malone
What do you call a group of people who on the outside, are normal Catholics, but who have periodic crazy meetings late at night and sporadic email wars over plot points?

Well, you could call it a parish subcomittee, but that's also a good description of the John Paul 2 High Team.

The Team first started meeting three years ago when Sophia Press accepted our proposal to create a series of fun teen nov
More about Christian M. Frank

John Paul 2 High (5 books)
  • Trespasses Against Us
  • Summer of My Dissent
  • Undercover Papist
  • Near Occasions (John Paul 2 High Book 5)
“He was painfully aware of the fact that he was in his underwear. Not the best situation in which to fight people.” 1 likes
“Cow-watching turned out to be a mildly pleasant duty.” 0 likes