Start by marking “Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World” as Want to Read:
Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World

Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World

This book sets forth the Biblical understanding of the world, and then traces the development of that world through the successive "covenants" of the Bible—each new covenant transforming the previous one, bringing forth "a new world." Each of these "worlds" was given a symbolic model appropriate to the times. By a study of these models, and of the societies they represente ...more
Published July 1st 1999 by Wipf & Stock (first published October 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Through New Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through New Eyes

Jacob Rush
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A biblical breath of fresh air, symbolic wind under the wings, a typological quad shot of espresso.
This is a must-read biblical theological work. His entire point is that we have drifted away from the language of the Bible and allowed rigid literalism and our modern hermeneutics to impose what the text *must* mean rather than being very attentive to what it actually *says*. I was also pleasantly surprised by how many heavy hitting theological he cites: Bavinck, the WCF, Berkhof, *Auguste Lecerf*
John
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
James Jordan is not your ordinary seminarian, who looks at the Bible in the same way that is so typical of modern scholarship. Jordan attempts to look at the Bible through a rigorously biblical lens, in ways that are foreign to the modern reader.

This is not to say that others don't attempt to read the Bible through a biblical lens, but that Jordan's reading is rich with typology and symbolism in ways that I've never encountered before.

Reading Jordan, is akin to reading a good literary critic rea
Steven Wedgeworth
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lots and lots of speculation, but some genius insight into Biblical theology. It was world-changing when I first read it (one of my first introductions to typology and narrative), but after five years I have lots of issues. This one should be updated and edited.
Clayton Hutchins
An indispensable resource for understanding Biblical symbolism (and the world in light of it). No one knows the ins and outs of Biblical symbolism like James Jordan does. Some of his connections are tenuous at times, but it is often the case that he is alert to connections that really are there in the text that many of us miss due to a careless or inattentive reading of the text. A really enjoyable read as well, and surprisingly devotional.
Nina
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It isn't very often one reads a book that alters your vision. Jordan presents an analysis of the Bible through symbolisn that flows through the entire text. As an ancient document it cannot be read with 21st century eyes and understand the depth and scope of its meaning. He describes God's plan through Biblical symbolism as increasing in glory through progressive Covenants with his people, to a final glorious conclusion. He transcends denominational differences, focusing on what constitutes a Ch ...more
Ed Lang
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Neglect this read to your own peril.
Michael Kenan  Baldwin
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A life-changing read. Yes, some of it is too speculative, and I made the mistake of puzzling over some bits I should have simply skipped. However, the wealth of biblical insights and golden scriptural nuggets are abundantly more than enough to make up for it. I can't think of a single author with a greater grasp of the Bible than James Jordan. Too often in my reading of scripture, I have been unable to make heads or tails of the seemingly "obscure" and "inconsequential" small details. In this bo ...more
Tyler Holley
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Get this book!! 90% of you will hate it, but that is why you must read it.
Mitch Bedzyk
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book that seeks to help the modern day reader learn to think the way people thought during the period when the Bible was written. James Jordan's goal is for us to "see the world through new eyes—through Bible eyes."

The book is divided into four parts: (1) The Nature of the World, (2) The Features of the World, (3) The Transformation of the World, and (4) The Movement of History. Jordan begins with a brief overview of symbolism and interpreting biblical images, explaining ho
Christopher Rush
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This already 30-year-old work presents a very important message: look at the world and everything in it the way God does. That may sound trite, but James Jordan has very fresh and untrite things to say. His "Biblical view of the world" is not the typical lackadaisical "think kindly and humanely about people and lifestuff and don't get pregnant before marriage too much" prevalent in church-like entities today. Instead, we are to view the actual constructs of the physical universe - stars, mountai ...more
Jerry
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
My third or fourth time through, this is still one the best books about the Bible I've ever come across, providing the tools for understanding biblical theology and developing a biblical worldview. Jordan introduces all sorts of biblical themes and the maturing Bible reader finds more to agree, disagree and interact with, always in an edifying way, each time.
G.M. Burrow
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
I remember trying to read this at the emergency room in the middle of the night while waiting for my mom to go into surgery....yeah, it didn't make any sense. But it turned into English later, and of course now I dig it.
Douglas Hayes
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-theology
This is Jordan's great primer on biblical theology. Here he develops a unique (although not new) approach to hermeneutics, symbolism and typology.

This is considered to be one of his most important works, and fundamental to understanding his approach to biblical studies.
Brittany Petruzzi
So good. I always forget how good it is and then tell myself I need to re-read it. I also often wonder if N.T. Wright stole from James Jordan, Jordan stole from Wright, or the both of them discovered the same things independently.
Jeremy
Sep 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
PDF here. Mentioned favorably here.
Matt Wright
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jordan made me incredibly uncomfortable--which oftentimes was a good thing.
Mark
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books discussing Biblical symbology I have ever read. Well worth your time.
Bethany B.
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What can be more important than shaping our view of the Bible and of the world into the view that God's Word teaches us?

Amazing must-read. Totally enjoyed it. Very exciting. :-)
Kyle Grindberg
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, it lived up to its title.
Jon Sedlak
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A friend of mine once described James Jordan's Through New Eyes as a book which teaches how to eat, drink, and dream in a language called "Bible." After reading this book a couple of times, I find myself agreeing with that opinion. Scarcely a month goes by when I don't peek into this book to see what Jordan said about a given passage or symbol in Scripture. Even in significant areas where I once disagreed with Jordan’s interpretation, I find myself agreeing more and more as long as I continue to ...more
Hin-Tai
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed by this, but I think that's because I've been devouring James Jordan on the Theopolis Podcasts 'How to Read the Bible' - 20 years later, aurally, with much more focused talks. I potentially read it too fast, too. But either way, I love the Theopolis Podcast, Leithart's 'A House for My Name', and the first 'Through New Eyes' commentary I've read (Toby Sumpter on Job). I'd recommend starting in all those places, instead. This book felt a little too ambitious and unfocus ...more
Timothy Goldsmith
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do I agree with everything that Jordan says? Nope! I'd go so far as to say I disagree with a fair chunk of his thoughts, but he does bring a fresh attitude toward looking at the world, both as it is described in the Bible and as we see it ourselves.
If you're into typology and/or are into "deeper meaning" in the Bible (without getting to the 'I've counted up a bunch of numbers and think I can predict the date of the second coming' level), then this is a worthwhile read. It may just blow your min
Susanna
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007, theology, 2012
Read once in high school and it really changed the way I read the Bible (though, to be honest, I sat under faithful pastors who would point out the symbols and meaning of a passage in their preaching so I was quite blessed to already be familiar with much of this book). I read it again for Dr. Leithart's theology class. It is written for a younger audience but I love that it is accessible to anyone. I am already looking forward to having my kids read it at a youngish age to help them read the Bi ...more
Kevin Godinho
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I give this book 4.5. I was going to give it 5, but some of it was just really repetitive and honestly went over my head a bit. However, I have been coming into a more Reformed theology with an Orthodox-preterist/Post-millennial view of eschatology to which this book greatly enlightened and sharpened me. I may not necessatily agree with all of his types, but phenomenal read nonetheless.

"God has taken hold of Christendom and He has torn it apart. He intends to put it back together again in a new
Joe Haack
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This was highly recommended by Alastair Roberts in his book Echoes of Exodus (which I loved so very much). If you like biblical theology, it is a page-turner. Some truly amazing observations, but some truly wonky observations too. All of it interesting. Hard to rate - some aspects were 5 stars, others 1 star. I will say this: reading it helped me imagine the architecture of the Old Testament, and increased my appetite to know the texture of the Bible more.
Aaron Ventura
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I started this book knowing that JJ is cray cray but has some brilliant insights into the Scriptures that have already helped shape my view of God and the world. I rarely read books slowly but this one deserves a slow and meditative approach. Already looking forward to re-reading this in the near future.
Aurora Grace
Mar 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dominionism
The standard primer on Jordan's theological methodology. I was a major student of Jordan for a long time and must have read this book 30 times. It is primarily interested in symbolism, but Jordan is a young-earth creationist and believes the symbols revealed in the bible are literally present in the historical events they reflect.
Patrick
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
While he sometimes delves into speculation, James Jordan has the ability to make sense of the overarching narrative and symbolism of the Bible better than just about anyone else I've ever read. Part 3 of this book on "The Transformation of the World" is superb.
Ryan Watkins
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: theology
I don’t really understand this book. I’ll give the author the benefit of the doubt that I just don’t yet understand symbolism and typology and am more familiar with systematic theology and biblical theology.
mpsiple
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are some pretty wild assertions mixed in with amazing insight. I can't go everywhere he goes with interpretation, but the helpful connections across scripture outweigh the weird speculation. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in learning more about biblical theology.
  • A House for My Name: A Survey of the Old Testament
  • The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship
  • Angels in the Architecture: A Protestant Vision for Middle Earth
  • Heaven Misplaced
  • Postmillennialism
  • Paradise Restored: A Biblical Theology of Dominion
  • With Amusement for All: A History of American Popular Culture Since 1830
James B. Jordan is a Calvinist theologian and author. He is director of Biblical Horizons ministries, a think tank in Niceville, Florida that publishes books, essays and other media dealing with Bible commentary, Biblical Theology, and liturgy.

Jordan was born in Athens, Georgia, and he attended the University of Georgia, where he received a B.A. in comparative literature and participated in Campus
“The moon established which day was the first of the month, and which was the fifteenth. Such festivals as Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles were set on particular days of the month (Leviticus 23:5-6, 34; Numbers 28:11-14; 2 Chronicles 8:13; Psalm 81:3). The moon, of course, governs the night (Psalm 136:9; Jeremiah 31:35), and in a sense the entire Old Covenant took place at night. With the rising of the Sun of Righteousness (Malachi 4:2), the "day" of the Lord is at hand (Malachi 4:1), and in a sense the New Covenant takes place in the daytime. As Genesis 1 says over and over, first evening and then morning. In the New Covenant we are no longer under lunar regulation for festival times (Colossians 2:16-17). In that regard, Christ is our light.” 3 likes