Start by marking “Conformity and Conflict: Readings in Cultural Anthropology” as Want to Read:
Conformity and Conflict: Readings in Cultural Anthropology

Conformity and Conflict: Readings in Cultural Anthropology

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  327 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
An ideal complement to standard anthropology texts or as a stand-alone text/reader, the best-selling Conformity and Conflict continues to offer students an in-depth look at anthropology as a powerful way to study human behavior and events. The 37 articles cover a broad range of theoretical perspectives and demonstrate basic anthropological concepts. The twelfth edition ret ...more
Published August 11th 2006 by Allyn & Bacon (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Conformity and Conflict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conformity and Conflict

Kelsey Bhasker
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of cultural scenarios and ethnographic studies undergone within different areas of study;the text doesn't present itself as textbook lingo, rather its more like adrenaline parts of a journeyer's blog highlights. You'll learn so much about societal structures, and humans capacity and flexibility in language,learning, and emotions.You will quickly want to turn the page to learn more about whats being uncovered and reviewed. The accounts are eloquently structured and the c ...more
Kelila
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the best textbook I've ever had, mostly because it is decidedly un-textbookish. Full of [mostly] interesting articles, it was fairly easy to get through; I did actually read it! And despite being a textbook, we were assigned all, but like three, of the articles it contains. So I did end up reading the whole god damn thing [or close to it]!

Hooray for last week of my summer class and a short summer before fall term begins!
Chantilly Patiño
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a really excellent book filled with a variety of stories and scenarios that help to enlighten readers about popular topics and thoughts in Anthropology. I really enjoyed it and found it very helpful for critical thinking and examining of various social groups and situations. I think if you really enjoy learning about what motivates certain cultural traditions and social expectations, this is a great read!
Christy
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've perused a lot of anthropology textbooks, as it was definitely a major interest of mine in college (and we had no anthropology program in the school), and of all that I read, this was definitely my favorite. Very readable and quite interesting, whether you're a student or not.
Laurie
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A book comprised of engaging ethnographic articles on topics that shape human cultures around the world. Contents include sections on politics and law, kinship and family, language and communication, globalization and identity roles & groups.
Dawna
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Fascinating stories, I love this sort of reading. Fish's "Mixed Blood" was an eye-opener and should be required reading. (Last time I checked, it was available as an online article, it's about the origins of 'race'. google it if you're interested)
Aaron
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-work
Read as a text for an Introduction to Cultural Anthropology course. Decent anthology of writings about cultural anthropology. Covers a wide array of cultures and provides a decent primer for a new student.
Nastya December
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great collection of articles written on virtually every topic within cultural anthropology.
Chrissy
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing wealth of information on cultural anthropology. Whether you're a student or just a curious reader, this is far more intriguing than any textbook I was assigned in school!
Paige
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't read the entire book, but read a lot of the articles for class. Very interesting! 4.5 stars.
Katie
Feb 25, 2009 rated it liked it
i read this when i was in school and now am tutoring for a class using it. interesting read.
Meen
Apr 10, 2008 marked it as probably-never-gonna-read-it  ·  review of another edition
Hahaha, I have the "Special 1/2 Price Edition," so the pictures on the front are in b&w!
Skilty Labastilla
Aug 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anthro students and enthusiasts
Shelves: non-fiction
the text that i use for my classes =)
Nadia
  • Patterns of Culture
  • Social and Cultural Anthropology: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Silent Language
  • Wisdom Sits in Places: Landscape and Language Among the Western Apache
  • Same Difference: How Gender Myths Are Hurting Our Relationships, Our Children, and Our Jobs
  • Mirror for Humanity: A Concise Introduction to Cultural Anthropology [with PowerWeb]
  • Veiled Sentiments: Honor and Poetry in a Bedouin Society (updated with a new preface)
  • Culture & Truth: The Remaking of Social Analysis
  • The Nuer: A Description of the Modes of Livelihood and Political Institutions of a Nilotic People
  • Return to Laughter: An Anthropological Novel
  • Anthropology as Cultural Critique: An Experimental Moment in the Human Sciences