Start by marking “Murder In LaMut (Legends of the Riftwar, #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder In LaMut (Legends of the Riftwar, #2)

Murder In LaMut (Legends of the Riftwar #2)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  5,277 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
The second novel of a major new Feist acquisition, returning to his best-loved series. fantasy Raymond E. Feist and Joel Rosenburg. place they could be sure the three of them were not going was Crydee. Come spring, the privateer Melanie was due in Ylith, and its captain could be counted on for a swift conveyance away for sure, and likely not to murder them in their sleep. ...more
Published June 1st 2003

To ask other readers questions about Murder In LaMut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder In LaMut

Scott
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Sorry to say that this book was a slog.

It's essentially a murder/mystery centered around three mercenaries. Problem is - the murder doesn't happen until 80 pages from the end. Then there is about 30 pages looking into the murder and then the wrap up. The first 250 pages (book is only 325 pages) is the setup and even that was mind numbing in it's boredom.

I have this categorized under fantasy but it's really just a book about soldiers and nobles. Could be set in europe in the middle ages and be th
Kaila
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, fantasy
I fell in love with the world of Midkemia in Magician: Apprentice, and Magician: Master really solidified it for me. Feist’s world is incredibly fleshed out and a pleasure to escape into. I am following the reading order recommended by a fellow blogger for this series, which is not the order they were published in, but rather chronological. It was a hard decision to make! But I can’t help it, I like reading things in the order they happen. Having started with the four books of the Riftwar Saga, ...more
Jsrott
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing. If the title of your book is "Murder in La Mut" you expect the murder to take place before the twelfth chapter of a sixteen chapter book. I've read a lot of Feist's Midkemia novels recently so I'd like to think I'm familiar with the world he created, but I found the story to be often times confusing and somehwat lacking in interesting scenes. The characters spent a lot of time brooding and sulking, which doesn't make for a stimulating read. The solution to the murder was also ...more
Becci
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Three mercenaries take an easy winter job guarding a local noble... a simple job that turns into a murder investigation in the middle of a warzone...
Barbara
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I was pretty tired of reading Feist when I decided to push on a bit and continue with Murder in LaMut. I was pleasantly surprised however by the witty prose and dialogue with unexpected undertones of Dickens – co-author, Joel Rosenburg's influence, I think it's safe to assume. It's a slow-building murder mystery with very little magic in evidence so if you're looking for sword and sorcery, look elsewhere.

I certainly did not see the twist coming – the culprit of the murder, so well-done on keepin
Hilary
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I usually treat myself to a Raymond E. Feist when I want fun, fast paced adventure. This book did not deliver. It is co-written, so sorry Joel Rosenburg, but I am blaming you since you are the only new thing in the equation here. It seems that the majority of the book was background with all the (minimal) action happening in the last few chapters. It was ok, but I read it every night to get through it rather than because I really wanted to pick it up again.
Joy
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: gave-up-on
The book itself wasn't the bad, but it had nothing to do with the last book except for that it was during the same time, but there were certain things that weren't in the last book like bugs. I really wanted to know more about the other book because I really liked the first book, but it was a bit disappointing that there was so little about the last book even though this book wasn't terrible, I just wasn't as interested as I was in the last book.
Steven Bailado
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I've read every book of this series in order up to this one, and this is the first of the series that I have not given 5 stars. This was more of a murder/mystery, which is not what I've come to love from the previous books. And even as a murder/mystery (as other people have stated) I would expect the murder much earlier on.
Pete Bartel
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
An entertaining book on the whole, let down by the way the authors revealed the identity of the murderer. The key factor required to solve the mystery was repeatedly flaunted and made obvious to the reader. That none of the characters thought of it while discussing the obvious was beyond the realm of plausibility, even though they weren't experienced investigators.
southernmyst
Mar 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is military science fiction, with many battles - hand to hand combat, described in vivid detail. I didn't like the gore, so I stopped reading.

If you like that sort of thing, give it a go; the writing was fairly good.
Jeffrey Greek
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
What an odd book. Nothing much happens for the first three quarters, followed by a quickly resolved whodunnit. But the three leads are fairly likeable, so it's enjoyable reading their griping about the increasingly difficult circumstances they find themselves in.
sarah
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the idea of a murder set within the familiar world of r.feist.really enjoyed the book
Zoe
not the best.
Steve Howarth
It is a decent standalone read and while the plot lacks the weight of the earlier book the characters are well written with a good secondary cast.

It feels like an RPG padded into a book and while readable and likeable the first quarter could do with being less of a plod.
Nina Schmitt

In Midkemia, there are no easy roads . . .

When ordered to accompany the promiscuous Lady Mondegreen, her aging husband, and her current lover to a summit

Samuel Tyler
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
A genre mash-up is not an easy thing to pull off, but a murder mystery set in a fantasy world sounds like it should work and it does. However, whilst ‘Murder in Lamut’ by Raymond E Feist and Joel Rosenberg proves that crime fiction works in a fantasy setting, it also shows that bad crime fiction is bad anywhere. ‘Lamut’ tells the story of three mercenaries who become embroiled in local politics and murder. As the only neutral people around, they are given the task of investigating a gruesome cas ...more
Steve Haywood
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Durine, Kethol and Pirojil are a mercenary trio, who are holed up in Lamut for the winter. They ve been assigned to what they think is a cushy job, protecting a local Baron. Unfortunately, things are never that simple, and they fail to realise just how murky Lamutian politics can get& [return][return]This book is a very enjoyable read. Part of that is down to the familiar setting of Feist s Kingdom of Isles, part of it is the writing style, which is easy to read and relaxing. The plot takes ...more
C.S. Woolley
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read, fantasy
I was really impressed by this book. I know that Feist does collaboration stories really well having read some of his other works, but this one was different to the others he has done. Focusing on three characters from a different book series that have been transported in Midkemmia was a fascinating idea. The characters were really well written and the three protagonists fitted really well in Feist's world. Seeing some of the politics that went on during the Riftwar away from Crydee and Krondor ...more
Jeff Cothern
SUMMARY:
In Midkemia, there are no easy roads . . . For twenty years the mercenaries Durine, Kethol, and Pirojil have fought other people's battles. Having already defeated the Tsurani, the Bugs, and the goblins, it seems there are no more enemies for them to vanquish—even as the Riftwar rages on in the west. What lies ahead for the able trio are a few welcomed months of restful garrison duty. When ordered to accompany the promiscuous Lady Mondegreen, her aging husband, and her current lover to a
Joel
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A solid entry in the Riftwar saga with a great addition of Rosenberg's classic trio of mercenaries. If you're not familiar with Pirojil, Kethol and Durine then I heartily recommend checking out the Guardians of the Flame series, particularly the "Not Quite..." volumes. There's also a cameo by Kami Khazud from Rosenberg's D'Shai novels hidden in the book, which is a nice Easter egg for long-time fans.

The only thing holding me back from giving this a 5-star review is the resolution to the actual m
Jimmy
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jimmy by: Barnes & Noble.com
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
This is another stand alone novel in Midkemia. This is more vulgar than what I am use to reading from Feist, but it did seem to fit the mercenaries. Durine, Kethol and Pirojil are a hilarious trio, who are told to protect the Baron Morray.
Their time is really very uneventful except for a small ambush of Tsurani. Quickly, they are trapped in the politics of the Barons, and are made temporary Captains in order to perform they're jobs.
Waiting for the murder in Murder In LaMut, at the end of the n
David
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is in a style that's very much different from the other Riftwar-related books. It's mostly a murder mystery dealing with nobles set in a fantasy world (although this isn't obvious until close to the end). This is probably not everyone's cup of tea if their expect lots of action and an epic tale. The story is about three mercenaries looking to earn a more peaceful living by taking up garrison duty - little did they know it'd be anything but peaceful. The tale is not meant to dive furthe ...more
Matt
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, own
This book was a lot of waiting for things to happen with a lot of rather boring stuff in between. The murder that is spoken of in the title doesn't even happen until less than 100 pages from the end of the book. The three mercenaries were entertaining and seeing events unfold through their eyes made for fantasy story the likes of which I have not seen before. The usual exciting fast pace story with bits of the nuts and bolts necessary for a story to work that I have come to expect from Feist was ...more
Jimmy
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waiting for the murder in Murder In LaMut, at the end of the n
Tyler
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: raymond-e-feist
Although I'm a big fan of Raymond E Feist's writing, I did not find this book very enjoyable. While I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the setting of Midkemia, there were many confusing names and the court dialogue was difficult to follow. In addition, most of the book was rising action without clear action scenes that become only more confusing when you have to follow the three viewpoints of the mercenary group. While a few humorous and intriguing scenes are present, they are few, and I ...more
Phil Jones
Of all the books by Raymond Feist I've read this was the slowest to develope into a decent story.
It just seemed an age before anything happened and then it all came together very quickly at the end.

It was interesting enough to see to the end but all his other books I've read are far superior to this one.

If it his the first of his you have read, please try another....any other as they are all far better than this.
Eeepi
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite interesting concept - first three quarters of the book is mostly based on character and atmosphere depiction, then something suddenly happens and the rest of the book turns into a detective story with not really satisfactory conclusion. I can't deny it's pretty well written, but the storyline is rather shallow and the pace is very random to say at least. I'd say this is a book for one reading session only - at least I can't picture myself to return to it now when I know how it ends.
Tracy Wolfe
I thought this was the worst book of the series, by far! I knew that it wasn't part of the main storyline, but the previous one (Honoured Enemy) still kept my interest. I kept getting the 3 mercenaries mixed up, had difficulty keeping up with the other characters, and simply didn't care about them. It only sparked my interest when there actually was a murder in LaMut, which unfortunately didn't occur until the book was nearly over.
Neil
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
I am a big fan of Raymond Feist's books, but this one failed to grab me. One thing that I love about Feist's books is the character development. This book was so short and had so many characters that you never got to to get to know them. This would have been a decent sequel had the three main characters been introduced in a previous book.
Cottageunderhill
Eh. I was kinda bored throughout the book with the incessant politics going on in LaMut. The murder didn't even take place until the end and by then, I was kind of like who gives a shit. Plus, I was hoping for the twist on the who-dun-it but wasn't really surprised at all. It felt very trite. I hope the next book is better, I really do.
Goodreads Librari...: Multiple corrections needed 11 23 Jan 04, 2018 12:46PM
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master: The Great One
  • The Silver Mage (Deverry, #15; The Dragon Mage, #7)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Crystal Gorge (The Dreamers, #3)
  • Das Schicksal der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #4)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)
  • The Cosmic Logos (Celestial Triad, #3)
  • Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist Summary & Study Guide
  • Not Quite Scaramouche (Guardians of the Flame, #9)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist

Legends of the Riftwar (3 books)
  • Honored Enemy (Legends of the Riftwar, #1)
  • Jimmy the Hand (Legends of the Riftwar, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars Part One
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
    $9.94 $3.99
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Volume 1
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Life of Pi
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 1 (Smoke and Shadow, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • City
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)