Start by marking “21 Pounds in 21 Days: The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox” as Want to Read:
21 Pounds in 21 Days: The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox

21 Pounds in 21 Days: The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  250 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
21 Pounds in 21 Days hit us like a breath of fresh air….Everything you need to get clean and lean is right here!”
Woman’s World

The revolutionary Martha’s Vineyard Diet Detox is here! The New York Times bestseller, 21 Pounds in 21 Days by Roni DeLuz, RN, ND, founder and director of The Martha’s Vineyard Holistic Retreat, and James Hester is a safe and effective cleansing
Published May 8th 2007 by William Morrow (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 21 Pounds in 21 Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 21 Pounds in 21 Days

Jen
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So my curiosity about detoxing was finally quelled when I found this book at Border's for 60% off. ;) I want to start off by saying that this book is easy to read and very informative. I enjoy reading different diet books because I am usually able glean some new bit of information and apply what I learned to my own diet. Three of the more interesting bits of information I read were:

1. "Biopsy studies performed by the EPA show that 100% of people had dioxins, PCBs, dichlorobenzene, and xylum" ins
Courtney Payne
Sep 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: diet-health
So I have this weird fascination with trendy "diet" books.
I check them out from the library and eat them up within hours. This one is great because on numerous occasions in bookstores I have witnessed an everyday kinda person ask the bookseller for this book. Thinking that they are going to go home, read the book, drink lots of water, eat lots of fruits and veggies and 21 pounds will disappear in 21 days.
Well, let's just say there are coffee enemas and weekly colonics involved. Yikes! I wish tha
Dooley
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I've been following the detox program for 7 days now and have lost around 14 pounds. My energy level is up and I feel happier. The juices are all delicious and fun to make in our juicer. I certainly miss chewing, but I only look forward to it as long as the foods that I'll chew after my detox is over (going for the full 21 days!) are much different than the ones I chewed before I began. I would recommend this program to anyone looking to kickstart healthy eating habits only after carefully weigh ...more
Michelle
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
So much info packed in this little book. I just wish the detox plan was laid out in a more organized way. I found myself flipping through pages trying to find outlines, directions and shopping lists. Also, wishing that more of the "why" of the detox was explained (ex. Why the antioxidant in the morning and green drink in the afternoon. What is it doing Inside my system?). But what I did learn was life changing and I will for sure be incorporating juicing into my lifestyle.
hissi
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
too much "credentials" and life altering stories, if its good you wouldn't need to say that on every page of the book, either by the author experience of someone else's. the author speaks of a detox that she went through and changed her life, i think this book is way too personal to be a fitness/health related. but i suppose she's trying again -stressing on the subject- to make a difference. the book is thorough, but does not offer any new content. losing weight comes from low calorie intake, no ...more
Wanda
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
It's a great idea, fasting an cleansing. I've gone on extended fast in the past. However, when I've done it the focus has been my health and not so much weight loss. This fast and cleanse is intense and really requires a regimented protocol. There is no way you'd be able to complete a 21 cleanse on this program and go to work and run your household and take care of your family. It requires your full and complete attention. I think it's a good idea to create a clean slate for health reasons. But ...more
Michelle
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The detox plan is reasonable and DeLuz presents some widely-known information in a clear format. The book includes some recipes, including some for laxative teas. Dangers of detoxing/liquid fasting are explained, as well.

So why do I rate it only 2 stars? The first 80 pages basically sell you on this concept. I believe that if I bother to invest time to read about something, that act alone is proof that I don't need further selling. I could probably get behind 10 pages of rhetoric, the 80 is jus
Tiffany Deitrick
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It all started when I read an article about this diet on NBC10's website. It sparked my interest so I bought the book with the intention of doing the detox. I read the book and took on the diet plan. The book is EXTREMELY informative and I learned so much I hadn't known before; about vegetables, fruits, and general health. Anyone who is a health nut or is trying to be, this book has a lot of info that could be helpful in your daily search for a healthy lifestyle. I lost 14 out of 21 lbs by doing ...more
Daniela
Oct 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
So you think it's not a diet, but it is. 21 Pound in 21days describes a cleansing process, that involves juicing vegetables only, no solid food for the entirety of the program and enemas/ colonic flushes...enough said! It is super restrictive to the point that the dieter has to slowly intrduce normal food afterwards to not experience adverse effects like anaphylaxis!
I think more doesn't need to be written to explain the two stars only.
These are for some comprehensive content about the state of
Linda
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: diet-nutrition
I don't remember reading a detox book before. This one started with a lot of testimonials, then discussed a liquid diet and didn't mention colonics until the very end, which ended the concept for me. If the order had been different, I wouldn't have continued reading, which was probably exactly why it was presented in that order.
Peggy
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, health
I learned alot from the book. I detoxed for a weekend to try it out and was impressed at losing 4 pounds. I hadn't gotten to the part about coming off the detox properly and ate spagetti with homemade sauce the day after. It really upset my stomach. I will try it again but do it correctly next time, now that I have finished the entire book.
Kimberly Ryan
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Very interesting, however if you're into eating this isn't the detox book to turn to. It's three weeks of juicing and no solid food. I have ventured into juice fasting before and you will definitely loose weight, but it's extremely difficult to maintain for more than a week.
Wendy
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
2-1/2 stars. Skimmed over a bunch of the stuff, especially the testimonials. Wanted to get into the details of the program itself. Probably not something I could/would do in its entirety, but like other books, have found some interesting tidbits that I'd like to look into more.
Cindy
Nov 10, 2007 rated it liked it
I read this book because Robin Quivers lost 23 pounds on this program and is still losing weight on a vegan diet. It is very interesting and I may consider doing a 2 day detox to see how it goes, but frankly, no solid food for 3+ weeks is a daunting idea.
Amber
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Testimonials say it's life-changing. I don't know if I could do a cleanse, and I really think it could be dangerous to do it on your own. But probably couldn't hurt to drink a "green drink" every day.
Dacia
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: health
Maybe it's just me, but this detox diet seemed a little extreme. Giving yourself your own colonic....really??? 21 straight days of juiced vegetables and broth-like soups...for real? This just doesn't sound safe to me. I don't think I would be able to do more than 2 days of this mess.
Grandma Judy
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detox with a complete juice diet and lose weight in 21 days. I really like this book, too. It's pretty comprehensive except there's no parasite cleanse, but you can do that after this diet, and put off the kidney-gallbladder cleanse until the parasite cleanse is complete.
Moniker
It was an interesting read...but I didn't try it...
Alison
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone I know
This book is packed full of excellent information about how to keep our bodies healthy by flushing out accumulated toxins.
Laura Ann Masura
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
I did this for a week and it worked. I plan to do the full 21 but want to wait for the weather to get colder. LOTS of soup and tea - hard to do when it is hot.
Bryan
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great!
Lindsay
Apr 17, 2008 rated it liked it
what i learned from buying the book was, you don't need to buy the book you need to order the cleanse online.
Jenny Baker
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Borrow it.
Brian
Jun 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who would like to lose weight
Still reading, almost done........
Beth Wood
May 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Summary: 3 colonics and no solid food for three weeks. Heck, yes, you'd lose weight.
Tiffany
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was very informative.
Christine
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
A book about juicing, which I love to do.
Kat
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very poorly written book. An extremely effective diet. Torturous, but effective in a quick and dirty kind of way.
Annchan Maulana
Jul 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tolearn, health
awalnya berusaha membiasakan, tapi lama2 rasanya ga cocok dijalani hahaha ... emang harus disiplin nie kalo mau sehat !!!
Denise Thompson
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too many people asked me about this book, so I had to buy it. Surprisingly enough, I learned a lot from this book and am now considering the detox.
  • 12 Steps to Raw Foods: How to End Your Addiction to Cooked Food
  • This Is Why You're Fat: Where Dreams Become Heart Attacks
  • Denise's Daily Dozen: The Easy, Every Day Program to Lose Up to 12 Pounds in 2 Weeks
  • 1,001 Low-Carb Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes from Dinner to Dessert That Let You Live Your Low-Carb Lifestyle and Never Look Back
  • Joy Bauer's Food Cures: Treat Common Health Concerns, Look Younger and Live Longer
  • Conscious Eating
  • Your Best Body Now: Look and Feel Fabulous at Any Age the Eat-Clean Way
  • Numerology
  • The Game On! Diet: Kick Your Friend's Butt While Shrinking Your Own
  • Raw Food/Real World: 100 Recipes to Get the Glow
  • Juiceman's Power of Juicing
  • Green Smoothies: The Weight Loss & Detox Secret: 50 Recipes for a Healthy Diet (Special Diet Cookbooks & Vegetarian Recipes Collection Book 3)
  • The H2O Diet: How to Eat, Exercise, Drink and Dream.
  • Gourmet Nutrition: The Cookbook for the Fit Food Lover
  • The Thyroid Diet Revolution: Manage Your Master Gland of Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss
  • Twitter for Dummies
  • The End of My Addiction
  • Fruit Infused Water - 80 Vitamin Water Recipes for Weight Loss, Health and Detox Cleanse (Vitamin Water, Fruit Infused Water, Natural Herbal Remedies, Detox Diet, Liver Cleanse)

Nonfiction Deals

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around the Coast of Great Britain
  • The War That Ended Peace: The Road to 1914
    $6.99 $2.99
  • No Limits: Blow the CAP Off Your Capacity
    $9.99 $2.99
“industry that spends $36 billion a year on marketing messages precisely to persuade us to eat more, and eat at different times, eat in the car, eat in front of television, and eat highly processed foods,” 0 likes