Start by marking “If I Know It's Coming” as Want to Read:
If I Know It's Coming

If I Know It's Coming

Thirteen-year-old Tim Hansen lives in a quaint little neighborhood in South Minneapolis. For the most part, he leads a normal, preteen existence. He is concerned about friendships, girls, sports, and even schoolwork from time to time. But when his mother, who is a nurse in the United States Army Reserve, is deployed to Iraq, Tim's relatively normal and happy existence gets ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by North Star Press of St. Cloud

To ask other readers questions about If I Know It's Coming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Know It's Coming

Start your review of If I Know It's Coming
Kathleen
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ok, this is cool. I started my teaching career with Nick Hupton in 1999. Now, he's still teaching (I'm sure even more skillfully and creatively than he was when we were 12) AND writing YA novels. I'm behind on the books, but I'm catching up; and I'm super excited to add them to my classroom library. This one is an important and relatable story about a MS boy whose mother has been deployed in Iraq. I think you should probably read it.
Linda
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am not a juvenile, but I found this book a delightful and compelling read. The characters & dialog believable and engaging—touching as well as funny!
I loved the fact that most of it take place in our neighborhood!
Tara
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book! The author really knows middle school kids.
Peter
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
The author does a great job of capturing the mindset of a teenage boy dealing with his mother going to Iraq. Timely and well done, bravo!
Joli
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've noticed recently that more and more books about military families and relationships have been published. There are so many people with family members, friends, and acquaintances in the military that we are all involved in one way or another. In If I Know It's Coming, we get to see how the life of one young teen and his family are affected when his mother, a nurse in the Army Reserve is called to duty.

I enjoyed reading this book and seeing this experience from a teenager's viewpoint. Tim is
Erleen Alvarez
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This review can also be found at Books For YA!

If I Know It's Coming is a preteen contemporary novel about Tim Hansen, an ordinary middle school kid who loves to play baseball, and how he and his family's life changed when his mom, a nurse in the US Army Reserve, was deployed to Iraq.

I thought, at first, that this was going to be a heavy read for me but I was wrong. Tim welcomed me into their story with warmth and with such ease as if his just telling it to a close friend whom he didn't see in a
Soma Rostam
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I accepted reviewing this book because it was a very touchy subject and one that I was familiar with. Living in north Iraq; we are not as afraid and scared as the southern people are. But that doesn't mean that we are not scared for our loved ones when they go to the south. I loved reading this book and being able to feel what the situation is like for Americans.

Tim's life was pretty normal, up until the day his mum left for Iraq. Tim is getting more and more detached from his father, he doesn
Roxanne
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Won this book in a Goodreads giveaway! So pertinent for today, well-written in middle-school language, highly recommended for young guys and girls, also would be a great family read;looks at life through the eyes of Tim, a 7th-grader whose mother is deployed as a Army nurse in Iraq and his struggle (and his family's) with the same! Superior read!
Molly
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the book! Once I started I found it hard to put down!
North Star Press
Dec 02, 2016
Jackie Martin kuhns
Jul 04, 2012
Lindsey Turner
May 14, 2019
Nick Hupton
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hilarey
Mitzi
Aug 10, 2012
Marguarita
Aug 10, 2012
Nick Hupton received his BA from Gustavus Adolphus College in 1999 and his MA from Hamline University in 2008. He teaches high school English in Bloomington, Minnesota. If I Know It's Coming is Nick’s debut novel. He lives in Northfield, MN with his wife and two children.